I Am Going On A 1500 A Day Diet And Need Advice….

MIGHTY DOG

I am 5’11” and weigh 285 lbs. But I am mostly muscle, meaning I am probably 60 lbs overweight. Most of the fat seems to be in my gut. I am trying to lose about 60 lbs in 4-6months. Some people may say this in unrealistic but I am up for the challenge. To accomplish this I am planning on eating high protein/low carb diet at about 1500 calories a day, along with 30 mins of cardio a day. Please give me some advice as to if this is a realistic goal.

Rodney_the_king@hotmail.com

Hmm. That Is About Twenty Percent Of Your Weight. That Is A Lot But If You Are Motivated Enough I Don't See Why Not. Good Luck Man!!!!

if your going to try to loose that much body sizein such a short time and dont want to loose muscle as well I would suggest a low dose test cycle as well to keep what muscle you can. Good luck, sounds like alot of work.......

Well in short, yes, It'll work but for gosh sakes throw some re-feeding days in there. I'd say every 10 days take a day and eat about 3-4Kcal with a decent amount coming from carbs or else two things will happen: 1. you'll feel like complete shit and probably get sick and 2. you'll lose a bunch of muscle. I'd run a low dose amount of test during it to prevent muscle loss.

DocJ said:
Well in short, yes, It'll work but for gosh sakes throw some re-feeding days in there. I'd say every 10 days take a day and eat about 3-4Kcal with a decent amount coming from carbs or else two things will happen: 1. you'll feel like complete shit and probably get sick and 2. you'll lose a bunch of muscle. I'd run a low dose amount of test during it to prevent muscle loss.
you also might try starting at 2000 calories a day 1st and see how you do especially with restricted carbs . thats barely over 2 lbs a week for a guy almost 300 , this should be very doable without drastic measures .

Dude you have be dedicated for that. I'm on 2200 calories a day right now (205lbs currently) and I find i'm STARVING and dying for high cal cheat foods like I eat when bulking (probably the reason I got fat in the first place :)).

1500 calories for a guy 285lbs for 4 months sounds a bit drastic. I'd listen to DD's and Doc's advice.

Find your BMR and start there, don't go 500 kcals lower then that. You'll have a hard time maintaining your rate of progress unless your supllementing with thyroid and thermogenics.

DirkMoneyshot said:
Find your BMR and start there, don't go 500 kcals lower then that. You'll have a hard time maintaining your rate of progress unless your supllementing with thyroid and thermogenics.
With such a huge cut in calories wont most of his weight loss eventually be muscle? With that being said ive had a few friends that were cutting for comps and they preached BCAA's as the major savior of muscle, what are your thoughts on that, and should he consider taking them?

dcorti01 said:
With such a huge cut in calories wont most of his weight loss eventually be muscle? With that being said ive had a few friends that were cutting for comps and they preached BCAA's as the major savior of muscle, what are your thoughts on that, and should he consider taking them?

Well he never gave us his kcal intake before or really any pictures or real stats (ie BF %). I'd guess his BMR is probably around 2500 kcals - I would start there but would never drop below 2000. Remember he has close to 60 lbs he says he wants to lose in 4 - 6 months. Thats between 2.5 and 3.75 lbs / week or close to a 1250 - 1875 kcal deficite / day!!!! He's never going to achieve his goals eating just a little less then maitencnce.

Also to answer you question is he going to lose muscle (understand this includes water also). - Probably but not till the later stages of the diet. Your body will lose a greater % of fat / lb of weight loss early in the diet (especially if your very high in BF) most of the time its 90 - 100% fat. Later on in the diet when he gets down into the single digits he'll probably be losing closer to 70 - 80% fat / lb of weight loss. Granted he is weight training taking "supplements" ect.

As for BCAA's will they help....a little but IMO the price does not justify the cost. So what if you are 1 - 2 lb heavier. You won't notice. What they will notice is how ripped you are.

Back