i hate bench press monkeys

t3project

powerlifter
you know who i'm talking about. the guys that come in the gym and have a big bench because that and arms are all they do. there are a group of them that comes it at the same time to the gym where i go. they were all talking shit about how strong they were the otherday. they were pissing me off so i flat out challenged them to a strength comp in the big 3. they all denied, turns out they all have some sort of disability to where they cant do anything but upper body. go figure !!!

as i was doing deadlifts, one of them came up to me and said "i can almost bench press that" mind you i was doing 405x6. i said to him "yea but i bet you cant pick it up off the floor." guy actually tried and barely moved it off the ground. i just started laughing at him and told him to go back to the bench. i wasnt trying to be mean but he was just bragging about how strong he was and how he had the 2nd biggest bench in the gym.

sorry, end rant !!!!!!

admittedly, most people don't train legs for several reasons:

it's a pain in the ass to do so
when you wear pants, chicks won't notice
people mostly look at your upper body anyways
has major back problems
no flexibility
doesn't train abs
because there is leg press anyways

and some other reasons...but it's all fun in the end

we all train for diff. reasons......you cant blame a powerlifter who benches 1k, but only squats 600 its just his preference to do bench over squats or whatever....dont harp on them...

Personally, I LOVE training legs. And if impressing girls is the reason one chooses to train, legs should be at the top of your list: girls aren't at all impressed with flamingo legs. Most of 'em enjoy large, firm upper legs and a hard, round ass. My legs to upper body training ratio is 1/1 (excluding cardio).

jocktheglide said:
we all train for diff. reasons......you cant blame a powerlifter who benches 1k, but only squats 600 its just his preference to do bench over squats or whatever....dont harp on them...

cosigns

jocktheglide said:

thats not what i am talking about. a powerlift who benches 1k and squats 600lbs is strong. a bench press monkey who benches 405 and can barely squat/deadlift 135 is not. these people i'm talking about dont even touch legs or do any actual strenght exercises for back such as deads. they come and do literally do chest/shoulders/tri's every time they are in the gym

Last edited:
AngryMuscles said:
when you wear pants, chicks won't notice

If they dont notice your legs when you wear pants, they probably dont notice you at all when you wear anything. That just means you are puny.

Chicks dig legs. I know plenty who tell me their ex boyfriends didn't train legs, and they didn't have a lot of upper body either - point being it was dissapointment that was spoken. If you dont have balance, you are worthless in the real world, and its a recipe for injury.

jocktheglide said:

Probably the post of the month here. WE ALL TRAIN FOR DIFFERENT REASONS.

I used to HATE those guys that didn't care about symmetry and did chest/arms 16x per week. BAH! Fact is though, we all get to the gym for different reasons. Some of us are bodybuilders. Some want to get chicks, some just want to stay in shape or ahead of the curve.

Now, though, I respect those guys. They're in the gym pushing hard and working. That's better than 99% of the general public. They may have different goals, but at least they are their sweating, pushing, hurting.

As long as others respect what I'm doing, then I'm fine with it.

I'll admit it i was once a bench press monkey. However the last 6 months ive done a complete 180. It was pretty sad how i could bench 4 plates on each side and could barely squat 225 for 5. Deadlifting forget it i wouldnt even go near it. Now i lookforward to back day and leg day more than chest. My squat and deadlift are just bout equal to my bench finally

heres my prob,,,,my calves are horrible from genetics ...sux

But my quads \hams\glutes are looking good these days

Phil9999 said:
I'll admit it i was once a bench press monkey. However the last 6 months ive done a complete 180. It was pretty sad how i could bench 4 plates on each side and could barely squat 225 for 5. Deadlifting forget it i wouldnt even go near it. Now i lookforward to back day and leg day more than chest. My squat and deadlift are just bout equal to my bench finally

That's great progress for 6 months.

squating and deadlifting make me feel stronger all over.....i also love how the whole gym stops to watch when they hear my 7 plates rattle when i squat.....it's a rush..

tank.

t3project said:
thats not what i am talking about. a powerlift who benches 1k and squats 600lbs is strong. a bench press monkey who benches 405 and can barely squat/deadlift 135 is not. these people i'm talking about dont even touch legs or do any actual strenght exercises for back such as deads. they come and do literally do chest/shoulders/tri's every time they are in the gym
I dont know man thats pretty extreme there doing 405 and squatting 135lbs you sure thats all they can do? To be honest I havent squatted in 3 years man and currently I can bench 315, but just for your sake and mine I went to my work gym loaded up 135 and got that, then 185 got that then 225 was maxed out......for me.

Back