I need back thickness!

Nutri-Wrestler

well, my back just plain sucks even though i try hard to build it. here is what i do:

pull ups: 3 sets of as many as i can do per set (sometimes w/ weight sometimes w/o weight)

bent over barbell rows: 3 x 10 155, 175, 185

dumbell rows: 3x 10 100, 110, 120

seated rows: 3 x 15 (forgot the weight)

i used to do deadlifts but stopped doing them a month ago so i could try a new back workout of just rowing to see if i could add some thickness.

Well, if you want my opinion, I'd do this:

1. Reduce the volume
2. Reduce the # of reps
3. Add deadlifts.

This is my back routine, and it works very well for me. It's a lot less volume than what most people do, but that's what makes me grow:

DL 1x3-5
rack pulls 1x5
underhand rows 2x5

My .02.

u have a good routine right now but if you were too add deadlifts your back would get bigger.
It might do with how long u been training b/c it does take time too get results.

My routine for back:
Lat pulldowns 4 sets- 1 set warm up 20 reps
barbell rows: 4 sets
seated rows: 4 sets

I do 5-10 reps when i do back.
My back got really big of this routine, Sometimes i do pullups just for a change and go heavy.

I just started too add deadlifts in the past 2 weeks.

Nutri try this routine>
Warmup pullovers 4x10
Bent rows 4x10
Seated rows 4x10
Pulldowns to front 4x10

This is the routine I am currently using.Sometimes I will throw in deads at the end .
Beast has a similar routine and it does work well.

70w30 said:
Nutri try this routine>
Warmup pullovers 4x10
Bent rows 4x10
Seated rows 4x10
Pulldowns to front 4x10

This is the routine I am currently using.Sometimes I will throw in deads at the end .
Beast has a similar routine and it does work well.
hmm, what if i toss in either heavy rack pulls or deads with that and rotate deads and rackpulls every week?

Nutri-Wrestler said:
hmm, what if i toss in either heavy rack pulls or deads with that and rotate deads and rackpulls every week?
From looking at your pic, we have similar body types. I on the other hand, only respond to high volume of sets. 20 fopr back. I keep it heavy 4-6 reps, so in reality, im doing just as many reps as the guy who does 10 sets at 8 reps or so. i always do 3/4 deads at the end, along wiht Heavy barbell rows, and reverse rows.

A thicker back is developed by heavy rowing motions.

Your routine is ideal but you need to increase the weight used and lower the volume as was suggested earlier in the thread. My back is THICK and it got that way from a routine similar to yours but utilizing the heavy weight/low volume scheme.

Back