Joining the US Navy

Dude have u even researched boot camp?. . . Their gonna run your balls into the ground! I doubt your gonna have time to lift. I would look into the airforce. . . better, real-world jobs. . not to mention way more hotter chicks. .

Dude have u even researched boot camp?. . . Their gonna run your balls into the ground! I doubt your gonna have time to lift. I would look into the airforce. . . better, real-world jobs. . not to mention way more hotter chicks. .

Airforce does have a better reputation at post-service opportunities... They don't have some tings to offer though! ;)

Bootcamp isn't going to run you into the ground... The "old-school" bootcamp used to before it became subject to the polititans will and is now designed for the "average" american. If you can run a mile and a half then you are on a great start!!!

Last edited:
That's not an easy question to answer but I'd have to say no. I had some good times, meaningful times...but overall it was not a good decision. The Navy revels in Honor, Courage, and Commitment but you'll find none of that when you serve. Get used to having all of your stuff stolen. Theft is numero uno anywhere you go. Even in the SpecWar programs.

Guys snitch on each other all the time like the other guy above me was saying....it was just lame. If you're a resourceful person and you have a good head on your shoulders I would suggest looking for other opportunities outside the military. Certain trades pay a lot of money, have a solid network of great guys to work with, etc.

I'm not a cold-hearted anti-American by any means, so don't judge me that way by what I've written. Just consider that the Navy is 300% over-manned and you're not going to like where you end up.

The other unfortunate roadblock I've found in my post-military experience is that I've run into quite a bit of hiring discrimination due to my military background. Which is fucked up and un-American. Even though many companies receive healthy tax credits if they hire veterans...a lot of HR managers don't like military folks and believe me...it's a problem

These are just my experiences though. And like I said, don't get me wrong...if there was a threat to this nation I would be the first to run back in and re-enlist. Right now though you need to look out for yourself. Who knows what's going to happen in the next 10 years. My honest opinion is that the military may set you back. But feel free to check it out.

Good luck!

things were different in sub service .god help a SOB who got caught stealing . we had 1 thief on board for a while and it was a known problem when he was finally caught we took him to the captain and the captain said that the guy didnt do it , we asked him how he knew and captain said he dosent look like a thief , take him down below and bring him back when he looks like a thief , we dragged his bloody ass back 10 minutes later and captain said yep thats the thief lol.

HAHA DADAWG,

I havent had that issue with the stealing, but earlier in my training pipeline we had issues with people forgetting gear, being late to musters before we moved out to evo's.

Last edited:
If you join, Sign up for the minimal amount of time. Its kinda like buying a car. They are able to throw in allot of perks and benefits. But Its up to you to get the best deal. They will give you the least they can get away with. Make sure you score high on the asvab.

Last edited:
HAHA DADAWG,

I havent had that issue with the stealing, but earlier in my training pipeline we had issues with people forgetting gear, being late to musters before we moved out to evo's. It was simply solved... Just have their roommates leave the door cracked at night and blanket the fu** out of the dumb ass. He would either DOR or straighten the fu** up. well that stuff's not allowed in the "Navy" anymore so now you have to wear masks... lmao.

when did you go through training? are you still in? you on a standard team or did you go into any special units?

If you join, Sign up for the minimal amount of time. Its kinda like buying a car. They are able to throw in allot of perks and benefits. But Its up to you to get the best deal. They will give you the least they can get away with. Make sure you score high on the asvab.

Perfectly said...

Last edited:
Went to boot in Orlando june/82. Complete joke from a physical fitness standpoint. Forget about your cycle. GET A 3 Active 3 Inactive reserve with an option on the 4th year to stay as active with a bonus. Don't just go 4-6 because everyone else does. Check the srb selective re enlist bonus for your rating should you decide on a re up. I maybe in the dark ages with this advice but I wish I had someone give me current advice prior to signing. Problem with the Navy & I was an Air Traffic Controller on the Carl Vinson was the hours. I mean 8 hours on 8 off is no fun. Inside 2 weeks you don't know what day it is or if it's even light outside. In the nut shell 4 years in the Navy is like 8 years service in any other branch as far as time working in my opinion. The travel is great but really? You know how many hours you worked for those 1 week port visits of which 2 of those 7 days in port you'll have duty & will be required to stay on board? I'ld go AirForce as my Uncle retired working 8 hours a day & seeing his family everyday. Forget about longterm relationships while your deployed 8 months a clip. They just aren't healthy.

I came into the Nave a few years back with a SpecWar contract. Honestly this site is about anonymity, if you wouldn't mind I would prefer to keep mine. I greatly appreciate your understanding.

kinda saw that coming, although at least some of those questions could've been addressed without compromising it at all.

there are a very limited number of nec's we get, though more than you'd read about on wikipedia or somewhere if you get pulled for one of the classics.

you've hinted at having gone thru buds, though the majority of people who enter with a contract for specwar don't end up in specwar so i was just curious about that.

so you were what like in the 260's or so? pm me if you want bro, just wanted to see if we knew any of the same people. couple of guys i knew from here and there were instructors.

btw, i got my trident in '01.

stay anonymous, that's cool with me, but i'd love to hear a bit more is all. pm would be chill to...

Far to much credit given than deserved.

haha 260's i meant class number, for the record.

anyway thanks for the pm bro. believe me i understand the anonymity thing... wasn't trying to get you say anything you weren't comfortable. and i didn't clarify but my question back there about division i was wondering about your boot division. like i said, knew some instructors, but i also knew some rdc's at boot. maybe you have run into them!

You will most likely be going to Great Mistakes in Illinois just North of Chicago. Boot camp will be over before you know it. They will "make it rain" in your barracks, you'll see.

You won't have access to weights or any free time to spend on anything you want to do, but maybe shine your boots or iron your uniforms. If you go to A school after boot camp, you may have time to hit the gym on base. Its possible to do your cycle then, but timing is a factor and know what your schedule for school will be. If you do choose to do the cycle after boot camp, it will be hard to hide it. Keep it off base if you can. Everything on base is subject to military jurisdiction so they can search anything at any time. Then you would be fucked. Or you could just not do it at all. I'm sure it won't go bad by the time you get out of boot camp.

What is your job going to be? Where is your school and how long?

You don't need to bring anything to the navy. Just join and you will be fine. Take every day a day at time and enjoy yourself. Also don't do anything illegal. Good Luck.

Back