Just another old guy story about hopefully getting right and feeling better

Old Duffer

Male, quickly approaching 55yo, married since dirt was young, 6'2", a frustrating 235#s, been working out fairly steady 3 days /wk for the last 6 years.

'Working out' means 45ish minutes of weights & cables and then half hour elliptical. Gains are very minor. Libido low and dropping. Brain fog. And I don't think we screw around in the gym. I work as hard as I can. Exa: had to ease up on leg day cuz I can barely walk 2 days later. Exercises modified for my damaged lower back and bad knees.

At my "welcome to your 50th birthday Dr. Appointment. ... it's time to poke a camera where the sun don't shine" appointment, I bitched. Again. About the libido. About the nonexistent gym recovery. About the brain fog. Tested sugars, thyroid, normal blood work for my age. "All ok", he says. Has me do sleep study. Been CPAPING ever since. My wife sleeps a lot better. :cool:
A year later I demand he test my test and all the other stuff again after finding out my uncle n niece have hashimoto's. I get, "all ok, cholesterol a bit high, test a bit low FOR YOUR AGE." "We dont do test prescriptions. Insurance wont cover it, its too expensive and heart attack risk" I didn't ask for the numbers. I didn't know. Oh yeah, he says lose weight. Duh. I'm trying but it's hard with no energy. And the moodyness. And the almost depressed feelings. And of course my self control sux.

Then I came here. And read. And read. And considered finding gear. But instead got hold of a Men's Clinic that has good reviews. I have to get bw anyway, right? Here's what they found: (non fasting). Sample at 8am.

Lymphs a little high
Glucose a little high
Sodium a little high
PSA 2.1 (0.0-4.0)
Serum Test 173 (348-1197)
Estradiol 19.0 (7.6-42.6)
Lh 5.3 (1.7-8.6)
TSH T4 3.45 (0.45-4.50)
Cholesterol 210 (100-199)
Serum creatinine 1.18 (0.76-1.27)

I'm still trying to learn what's what on bw. Another hardy Thanx for all the info here.

My consult is in 4 hours. I'll keep ya posted :yesway:

Forgot to add: initial bw showed low D. I work grave shift. Been taking 4000iu /day since. Have not had it checked tho

Last edited:
Old Duffer,

You sound like you have a lot of the same symptoms that I had before going on trt.

And my total T was right around what yours is. Mine was 170.

I don't know about you, but when I found I had low t, it was a huge relief. Because I could finally start doing something about the way I was feeling.

Looks like you're on the right track with the place taking care of you.

Just a couple of things that I can tell you that will help.

1) do your own research. Ask questions. It's your body and your life. If something the dr. says doesn't make sense, ask for an explanation.

2) be patient with the whole process of getting dialed in to a good protocol. It may take months to get it right.

3) keep a constant eye on estradiol levels. High estradiol can be a bitch. It'll sneak up on you and hit you like a Mack Truck.

4) stay positive, knowing you are on the right track. The people here on this forum are very knowledgable. Don't be afraid to use their wisdom and experience.

Thanx!
I'm practically giddy!!! I've been bitchin to my regular Dr. For quite a while and he kept blowin off my symptoms. " that's how it is when you get old"

Yeah I gotta pay for it out of pocket but I have high hopes!

Alot if us here played the hire and fire game with uncooperative. Its a long tedious journey but worth it in tge end took me 3 dr's to finally get one that was on the same page.

Good luck

Old differ. I was in the same boat. Primary care physician will not touch testosterone with a 10 foot pole. You need to visit a low T clinic - there are plenty out there. Yes it's out of pocket but very affordable. The testosterone out of pocket is around $20 a month.

I also found out the hard way that low T clinic docs are specialized in low T and know exactly how to treat. I went through my primary care physician and an endocrinologist with horrible results. I'm very satisfied with my low t clinic

Consult done. Package on It's way :dance2:

This docs' required schedule (until I get stability anyway) is:

200mg (1ml) test cyp on monday.
1 tab Anastrazole on Monday (not sure of dose. Find out when it arrives)
50 'units' HCG on Monday
Another 50 HCG on Thursday
Blood work "in a few weeks" on Thursday

I asked about splitting the test to 2/wk and he said, "no. I need all my patients to do the same thing while working up stbility". I'll fix that once solo.
Dr. Also expects this test dose won't get me quite as high as he targets since I'm starting so low but will tweak that as we go. Target 800-1200
Lastly said we will keep an eye on my PSA cuz it's a bit high and the hematocrit Afa blood donations.

I have more 'issues' with donating I think than pinning, but I'm gonna grow some balls (pun intended) and make it happen cuz I want this to work BAD!!!

I started TRT at 40 with test levels at 260. It was the right move for me. I feel great , better motivation and energy. You should do well!
Good luck!

Just a quick update. Still here :spin: starting week 3.
HCG smooth as silk. Helps that I have some extra subcutaneous-Ness :rolleyes2
1st test pin was kind of nerve wracking but got er done in the right 'pants pocket'. I thought my rate was pretty slow for the 1ml but guess not. Front of my tight was pretty sore for the next couple days, all the way to my knee. I blamed it on leg day. I noted the needle was not quite all the way in.
Forward to the next Monday morn and pin the opposite thigh; same area. Full depth. No pin pain this time nor last, but next day have an achy knot and sore again for days. Probably a bit worse.
...so I get my arse on here and read, read, read. What am I doing wrong? I'm still pushing that 1ml too fast. Too hard. I read a suggestion to " push a few tenths, pause, push, pause, etc. Forced me to slow down!

Yesterday was test pin #3. Right thigh, maybe an inch from previous pin. Full depth. I wasn't sure I could push/pause without getting the butterflys, but I focused intensely on the syringe tics and the plunger movement. And got er done again. So far less achy-ness!

I won't judge the effects of my TRT yet cuz I've been down with a serious cold for the last week. Just now back in the gym, trying to regain my strength. Really zapped me.

I expect the doc to want BW before too long. That'll tell the tale

Brief status
Pip much much less with the slower inject rate. Not zero but minimal. I need to try glutes next if I can reach. :p
Decent biceps day but expectedly ran out of steam early. Still a bit of lingering cough from that cold.

And finally, noted 1st effect of trt..... morning wood! (Announces this random old guy to an Internet of strangers) lol!

Have not had that 'problem' in years

Got some weight loss frustrations but I'll post them in the appropriate forum

8 week blood work update:

Serum Test was 173, now >1500
Estradiol was 19, now 35.7
Hematocrit was 47.4, now 49.6
PSA was 2.1, now 3.2. :-(

Chatted with the doc.
Lowering test inject from 200mg/wk to 180mg/wk
Increasing Anastrazole from 1mg/ wk to 2mg/ wk
Donating blood soon
Making appt to see local doc for prost exam scheduling

Comments? :scratchhe

Also to add some noted effects:
Strength up in gym for sure, but weight still stuck at 230 with acurately tracked <1770cals/day. Belt 2 'notches' smaller.
Generally feeling pretty good.
Some acne
Some nipple sensitivity
Some 'sleepiness'

No dissatisfaction! Just needs fine tuning! :wavey:

split AI dose into 2-3 doses per week. 1x a week is silly IMO

No argument from me there. Just following doc's instructions until he is happy. Then I'll tweak the schedule to twice a week 4 all. He didn't mention changing the HCG at all, but I suspect that 1000 per week is more than I need. Maybe knock that down to 500 per week (the hcg is twice a week already)

Had my 1st setback today and I'm pretty pizzed at myself.

Stopped at the local blood drive and got 'shut down'. Grrr. I've only donated a couple times before. 1st went smooth. 2nd and last until today I checked out. Vasovagal syncope. And just like the last time, checked out again today. I planned out my distractions. Didn't watch at all, which is funny since I've been sticking 3 needles a week into myself for months now no problem! Hydrated. Ate. Still once the nurse announced that he had to fiddle with my pin cuz the flow was too slow.... boom, boom, out go the lights!

The most annoying thing is as soon as they realize you are out (and I was out for like 15 seconds) they unplug you. Done. Heck, I was fine. Let er run! Wake me up when it's over!! But NOOOOOOO.....

Nurse says, "we see it probably twice a day". Told me about someone who donated for years with no probs, then one go he checks out and never could donate again. Stupid autonomic nervous system!

Guess I'll add this to my list of Dr. Questions. "What do I do now?"

Old Duffer.. When you had your blood drawn at 8 weeks did you have it drawn on the day you were to have your weekly injection or was it a few days after an injection?

Welcome to ology Glenntee!

Ditto,

And my draw was 2 days after pin. I chatted with one of the bloodsuckers when they called to check up on me the next day. She seems to think that if I let them know in advance, they can help. We will see. Formulating plan of attack now. Certainly not giving up

Back