killer traps

Pr1nterCable

ive just been browsing through the picture forum. Some of the traps there are ridiculus (sp?). what exercises are good and beneficial for them? Im currently doing side raises, shrugs, and the one where you pull the weights up to your chest. I want to loose my neck!!

Try doing light weight shrugs for as many reps as you can bang out. I've just recently started doing this and I am noticing a difference. I use 45 lb dbs for like 35, 30, 25, or more if I feel the need that day. Sometimes I'll use a smith machine with 135 and just go nuts. I'm a bigger proponent of form than heavy weights anyway. I always get the best workouts from using weight I can complete a full range of motion with than when I try to stack the super weights on. See what you think.

shrug it. I like going heavy with 8 reps. I mostly use barbell i find it is more comfortable for me.
Upright rows are good but then generaly hit the deltoid complex, when i do light reps i get a good pump in my delts and traps.

Alot of power lifting excercises are good for the traps. Clean and jerk, deadlifts.
But the most direct excercise is BARBELL OR DUMBELL SHRUGS!!!!!

I go heavy dumbells maybe warmup with 90's and work my way up to 130. just keep thinking, "I dunno" "Idunno" do not roll your shoulders...this is so bad for them. If you want to work the fronts..then move the weight to the front and start your "I dunno's" there.

i'd say heavy deads and shrugs. you're doing side raises and upright rows for your traps? in my opinion those do very little to nothing for traps (for me, at least), so i'd ditch those on trap day and do them on shoulder day instead.
my 2 cents

3/4 Deads, Powershurgs, and DB shrugs have helped me the most. Powershrugs are numero uno. If you want a greta shock technique, start of at the 140's or 130's, do 8 reps, full range and a nice squeeze at the top of each rep, and work your way down the rack in 10lb intervals. 50's will feel like 100s by the time your done.

u bend your knees slightly the bar should be by your knee, and then with your whole momentem u shrug the bar up. Usually u can do alot more weight.

Ok, so you get some momentum going and power into a shrug, then what? Do you hold it at peak contraction for 2 seconds or should this movement be all about just hitting the contraction and then the weight needs to come back down immediately.

i've seen people go up and down. I would personally hold the contraction and lower it slowly. Then go back up fast.

Powershrugs as well as seated dumbell shrugs.Seated dumbell shrugs put more emphasis on the traps as the dumbells are inline with your shoulders ,whereas barbell shrugs the weight is placed forward of the body.

70w30 said:
Powershrugs as well as seated dumbell shrugs.Seated dumbell shrugs put more emphasis on the traps as the dumbells are inline with your shoulders ,whereas barbell shrugs the weight is placed forward of the body.

I wish I could do seated DB shrugs, but my butt gets in the way. I am also physically incapable of doing rear barbell shrugs. I guess that's the curse of having short arms and a long torso.

--dnb

Mr.db do you have any piece of equipment that will place your torso between the bar ?Such as an incline bench machine.That would be your next best exercise to dumbell shrugs.......:D

70w30 said:
Mr.db do you have any piece of equipment that will place your torso between the bar ?Such as an incline bench machine.That would be your next best exercise to dumbell shrugs.......:D

I don't get it.

Fortunately, I am very comfortable with standing DB shrugs.

--dnb

Sorry to confuse you.Find an incline machine with plated stack,straddle the bench and position your body between both bars or handles .Make sure the handles are in line with your shoulders.
Are you confused now..lol
-- 0 --
-- machine handles
0 you

Just to add another trap variation to the mix.. you could try shrugs on a calf raise machine (standing). Instead of raising your calves to move the weight.. simply keep your legs still and shrug to move the pads.

Back