Lightening the carbo load - supplements can block up to 66% of the starch in a meal

Trevdog

Los Angeles Times June 16, 2003 Monday

Copyright 2003 The Times Mirror Company; Los Angeles Times

All Rights Reserved
Los Angeles Times

June 16, 2003 Monday Home Edition

SECTION: Health; Part 6; Page 3; Features Desk

LENGTH: 890 words

HEADLINE: Medicine;
Lightening the carbo load;
Tests show supplements can block up to 66% of the starch in a meal. But nutrition experts say they're not a cure-all.

BYLINE: Jane E. Allen, Times Staff Writer

BODY:
A wave of new supplements promise to allow people on low-carbohydrate diets such as the Atkins program to satisfy their cravings for potatoes and pasta without feeling guilty.

Dozens of so-called "starch neutralizers" and "starch blockers," with such names as Starch Away, Starch Buster, Carb Intercept and Carbo Grabbers, promise to ease the caloric burden -- and dietary regret -- of a favorite sandwich or meal. Although some nutrition experts say the nonprescription products could indeed help, they're no quick fix or cure-all for obesity.

The concept of a carbohydrate blocker isn't new. For decades, products have promised to let consumers eat starchy foods without gaining weight. Some crude extracts from beans proved so ineffective that the Food and Drug Administration suspended their sale for weight loss in the early 1980s.

Most of the new products, however, use a refined, more potent extract of the white kidney bean (Phaseolus vulgaris). (You couldn't eat enough beans to get the effect the extract provides.) The extract, called Phase 2 Starch Neutralizer or Phaseolamin 2250, is made by Pharmachem Laboratories Inc. in Karney, N.J.

Small human studies have indicated that the extract can neutralize as much as 66% of the starch consumed in a meal. Consisting of a protein component, the extract binds to an enzyme called alpha amylase, preventing it from breaking down starch into sugar. As a result, most of the starch passes undigested through the intestines as indigestible fiber does, and dieters don't pay the full caloric price.

"This has glimmerings of great potential as far as an aid in helping people lose weight," said Dr. Jana Klauer, a research fellow at the New York Obesity Research Center at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center. But she cautioned against assuming that a starch-blocking pill allows dieters to have all the carbohydrates or all the starch they ever wanted. "That's just not a healthy way to eat," she said.

Furthermore, the products could potentially interact with medications or lower blood sugar in diabetics who take insulin or other glucose-lowering drugs, she said.

Although scientists at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and elsewhere have spent years investigating the potential of starch blockers to help control blood sugar, the most recent scientific report to address their use in weight loss came from an unpublished preliminary study conducted at Northridge Hospital Medical Center.

According to results released in January, 50 obese patients under age 50 were randomly given either the supplement or dummy pills. Only 29 of them completed the eight-week study, said lead investigator Dr. Jay Udani, Northridge Hospital's director of integrative medicine.

Those taking the starch blocker with meals dropped an average of a half-pound a week, compared with 0.21 pounds in the placebo group, Udani said.

Although those results, which have not yet been peer-reviewed, "did not reach statistical significance," he said, they laid the groundwork for two larger studies underway elsewhere.

The FDA has been silent about the newest starch blockers. No new research on effectiveness or side effects has been brought to the agency's attention, said a spokeswoman who declined to be identified, citing agency policy.

Widely available through the Internet and health food stores, the products are getting a boost from the recent publication of "The Starch Blocker Diet," by Steven L. Rosenblatt, a Los Angeles doctor who combines alternative and traditional medicine. He doesn't pretend that the supplements are the answer to obesity.

"It's not a magic pill. The weight doesn't fall to the ground," Rosenblatt said. He recommends incorporating the pills into a sensible diet and exercise plan that includes the important nutrients in fruits and vegetables, whose carbohydrate content has made them largely an Atkins no-no. Taking a starch-blocking supplement, Rosenblatt said, "is a way to make Atkins doable."

It worked for Karen Siniscalco, 43, of Playa del Rey. In a lifelong weight battle, her only successes came when she restricted carbohydrates. "But how long can you eat straight protein and a handful of salad? I would drop 25 or 30 pounds and then wouldn't be able to go on anymore."

Three months and 25 pounds ago, she began taking Sierra Slim, a product developed by Rosenblatt that combines the bean extract with stomach-calming ginger and peppermint.

"As soon as I started taking it, I started losing one to two pounds a week," said Siniscalco, who still exercises and watches what she eats. "The difference was I could eat whatever vegetables I want, any fruit I want. I can go to a Mexican restaurant and have a tostada, with the beans and a little fried tortilla ... and not put on five pounds."

Starch blockers don't prevent the body from absorbing all the calories from carbohydrates. Some starch still gets converted to sugar, which eliminates some fatigue and irritability associated with low-carbo diets, Rosenblatt said.

In addition, said Janine Higgins, a nutritional biochemistry researcher with the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in Denver, the body salvages additional calories when the undigested starch comes in contact with bacteria in the large intestine and is converted into fatty acids.

I wouldn't normally do this, but this thread has only got 21 views in a week. Since I think this could have big implications if it turns out to be legitimate, I'm going to move it to the anabolic forum and invite comments.

Trevdog said:
I wouldn't normally do this, but this thread has only got 21 views in a week. Since I think this could have big implications if it turns out to be legitimate, I'm going to move it to the anabolic forum and invite comments.
good call bro i have missed it myself and it is good info , i think it would be great for cheat days and vacations

I would be curious to hear from someone who has tried this because it sounds like a really bad idea. I am just thinking of the pleasant side effect people get when they try to inhibit absorption of fat. I wonder if the people using this stuff will need diapers, too.

I have a full bottle of the stuff. if you guys would like i will in the name of science test it out and report back.

natty said:
I have a full bottle of the stuff. if you guys would like i will in the name of science test it out and report back.

"In the name of science" LMAO:D

Let us know natty the results of your testing!

Did anyone ever follow-up with this? I thought it was an interesting article as well and wouldn't mind giving it a shot if someone can impart some positive feedback.

I used CarboBlockers from ProSource ......... it helped a lil on cheat days with complex carb meals (not sweets) .......but not worth it IMO!!! Too pricey..........I took twice the rec diose on those days too to try to feel the product out. I wasn't overly impressed.

COME ON ... oh... this was 2003

It is definitely a usable advantage (ie on Atkins or ketogenic regimen)used properly and if good quality!!

More later...

Back