Linear or Undulating Periodization for body building

Roush

I am banned!
I know you power lifters and strength athletes know what this is and use it,, but just curious if anyone has used Linear or Undulating Periodization training for the sole purpose of bodybuilding / hypertrophy ?

If so how did you set it up ? Was thinking about trying something new for the next 12 weeks. Because my training is more 'instinctive' based I think undulating would work best for me (though I'm open to ideas and suggestions for Linear)

rather then the standard HSP (hypertrophy, strength, power) based method (common with athletes). was thinking more Strength, Pump, Hypertrophy (perhaps better for body building).

So setting it up undulating weekly where one training session will focus on 'strength' training (4-7 rep range heavy weights), 'Pump' training (18-30 rep range, light weight, lots of drop sets, super sets, etc) and 'hypertrophy' training (the basic 8-12 rep range standard body builder movements).

undulating like this with the least emphasis being on strength, and the most on pump and hypertrophy:
S=strength
P=pump
H=hypertrophy

week 1
S-P-H-P-H-S
week 2
P-H-S-P-H-S
etc.

curious to hear if anyone has dabbled with these methods or anything similar.

I'm not currently going to the local gym I'm a member of and have been training at my home gym the last 6 months instead , so I'm just looking for something new and fresh to mix things up.

Last edited:
Everyone uses both of them to some degree. They may not have a 26 week detailed plan laid out though.

Conjugation!

Everyone uses both of them to some degree. They may not have a 26 week detailed plan laid out though.

Conjugation!

yeah very true . my current 'Instinctive' style of training is already kind of an 'undulating periodization' to a certain degree

Firstly, well done for actually looking at what PLers & other strength athletes are doing and trying to incorporate it to suite your goals. IMO, too many bodybuilders ignore those guys to their own detriment.

I use a variety of periodization models with most clients because I find that having a structured, long term out look to an individual's training regime to produce better results. This is usually balanced out with some autoregulation (aka instinctive training) to take into account external variables that cannot be accounted for when doing any sort of long term planning (how someone feels on a certain day, minor injuries that occur, the usual daily stresses impacting performance, etc). Though I will note that the autoregulation stuff is saved for people I'm working with hands on or for elite lifters who are really in tune with their bodies (beginners & intermediate lifters are not IME).

In terms of linear vs non-linear (undulating, conjugated, etc) there is no clear winner but I tend to prefer undulated for the advance guys since its easier to progress for longer periods of time with no lag and it does allow a degree of "freshness" to the workouts (something you alluded to) that helps with clients who may have issues staying motivated for each workout.
Nothing wrong with going linear for growth though (strength, performance, etc is another story) as long as its programmed properly.

How much research have you done into this topic? Name drop the resources you've used if you can.
I ask because periodization can get very complicated depending on deep you get into it. For example, what made you decide on a weekly undulating approach vs daily? Are you aware of the progression models for the undulating approach (wave like increases over a period of time, etc)? Do you know how to program tapers/deloads into the programme?

Periodization is one of those topics where it really helps to develop an understanding for the theories behind it (fitness/fatigue models, 1 vs 2 factor theories, etc) before diving in to the actual programming variables.
It does sound like a lot of reading (probably why most don't bother) but I personally consider it essential reading for those coaching themselves, or wishing to coach others.

First off, thanks for taking the time putting a well put together and informative response to my post (even though for the most part I've been a total asshole to you). I actually just started reading up on periodization lately over the past few days, looking to freshen up my workouts, and it was immediately appealing to me and figured I could take the general principles and tweak things to fit my goals/lifestyle, but not without developing a further understanding and definitive reason for doing so.

Autoregulation was something that I immediately got. Coming into the gym on 'strength' day, beginning warm up sets to work towards a heavy set and feeling weak and tired, and deciding to shift into a 'hypertrophy' day instead and making up the strength day another time that week .. is something I've been doing for awhile anyways with my standard bodybuilding 'bro' routine and instinctive training . If I came in for a heavy hitting pull day and was going to kill back and really did not have it in me that day to do high volume bent over rows ,, I'd instead do some isolation movements for back or just some high volume pull ups and then do biceps instead , then come back in a couple days and do the heavy back movements. I'd just mix it around a bit as long as I got the volume and work in over the period of the week (even if that means two a days to make up the work).

SO,, with my way of thinking and training I just thought putting together an Undulating Periodization program may be just the thing to freshen things up a bit , without being too drastic a change from what I'm used to (but maybe it is)

Again , as far as research I've done. I'm just now getting started . I've gotten a few things thus far from the Dr. Mike Zourdos and Layne Norton camp . I'm open to looking into more and getting plenty more names of guys I can read up on or listen to any online lectures, seminars etc.. I'd rather have an understanding of the concepts and theories and the reasons "why" then just jump into something hoping for results.

What do you think about the idea of the H-S-P (which you already know about) ,, and dropping the "power" phase and instead having a "pump" day ? that way strength is emphasized , but not strength and power. for bodybuilding there is a benefit to strength and gains in strength can aide in hypertrophy (a stronger muscle can become a bigger muscle) .. but figured with a pump day instead of power, that that would lean more towards bodybuilding (of course some guys don't respond well at all to training for a 'pump', but I feel that I do)

Sorry for the late response.

Dealing specifically with weekly undulated periodization, Charles Poliquin was the first guy to really popularize the approach back in the 80s when he was working with footballers (he went crazy about 10 years ago, so if your going to read up on his stuff just make sure its pre 2005ish).

Here is an example of a weekly undulating approach to give you a better picture what it entails:
3x12 @ 75%1RM for 2 weeks
5x5 @ 85%1RM for 2 weeks
4x8 @ 75%1RM for 2 weeks
5x5 @ 90%1RM for 2 weeks
4x5 @ 80%1RM for 2 weeks
6x3 @ 95%1RM for 2 weeks
Notice the more gradual changes in volume (sets x reps x weight), the wave like increase, no clear separation between strength/power/hypertrophy phases, etc - this is further emphasized with daily periodization using DUP. Its a much more realistic way of progressing in the gym for higher level lifters.

In terms of sources to look into outside of Poliquin, Kraemer produced plenty of data back in the 80s that are good reads, Zatsiorsky's book (Science and Practice of strength training) is another good read though a little bit in depth for some, Matveyev & Medvedev as well as a bunch of other former Eastern Europeans also have good stuff to go through.
If these guys are a little bit too much for you, then just pick a source that you find easier to follow AS LONG as they cover a few key theories behind periodization like Seyle's general adaptation theory, the supercompensation theory, 2 factor/dual factor theory and the fitness/fatigue model. If you see these terms mentioned, then it should be a solid source to follow.

just an update -- i began implementing the proposed undulating periodization routine. I'm 3 weeks or so into a 6 week mesocycle. And all I got to say is I must of needed a change up of routine, because this has kicked my ass and I'm already ready for de-load week. man I'm beat, I must have been really settled into my 'instinctive training' and taking things too easy lately.
I'm curious to see where my gains will be at going into the next mesocyle , which may only be a short 3 week strength based program ,, then off to pure hypertrophy for awhile after that

Back