Martial Arts advice

DrTren

Hey guys, I’ve been out of the game for quite a few years and recently I’ve been interested in getting back into a healthier lifestyle in general. I’m really looking to simply become more active, and improve my cardiovascular health. I’ve always been interested martial arts. My question is where to start, and which disipline to follow? I’m not really looking into competing, or the choreographed thing I see from time to time. I’m looking for something that will challenge me physically, and would be practical in the “real world”. I know some of you guys probably have some good experience with this stuff, and you advice will probably help me decide what would be best to do. Thanks in advance.

DrT

Im going to learn stevens segals martial art, that way i can tose 10 guys around like rags, that inludes scarz and snigg,yhtrash wait yhtrash know the monkey martial arts that would take more disipline ...:laugh4:

find a solid mma gym.. or do what i did.. get a good base in boxing for a couple of years and then incorporate jiu-jitsu...

i love jiu-jitsu, but im a boxer by blood...

ahh, i miss those days.. i love to fight..

brazilian jiu-jitsu, try both gi and no-gi and see what you like.

extremely functional in the real world and excellent for cariovascular health. let me know what area you're from and ill see if i can recommend a place for you to go.

brazilian jiu-jitsu, try both gi and no-gi and see what you like.

extremely functional in the real world and excellent for cariovascular health. let me know what area you're from and ill see if i can recommend a place for you to go.

I'm about 20 minutes outside Orlando

Hiya,

I've been training in the martial arts now for over 30 years. If you fancy training in a "sporting" martial art then BJJ or Muay Thai kick boxing would be ideal for you. If you want something that will be more effective in a street scenario, I would go for Wing Chun Kung Fu or Pencak Silat. I have trained in the past in all of them and all are great for cardio.

Fuck disciplines, go to mma and get well rounded in all types, and fuck that hiyah shit..... its wooooo oahhhhh yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa wooooooooo hight..lmao .. Stevan Sigals is called Akido, its not his Pinga... There are plenty of Y s and gyms that have mma shit going on for cheap ...

wing chung is meh, not because its a bad art, but because of the way its taught. same goes for most mc dojo's ( point sparring, no going to the ground , no weapons etc) . if you decide you like wing chun, try to find a straight blast affiliated school. least those guys don't have their heads in the sand.

that said, what are your goals for martial arts? if its just fitness like you say, pretty much any of the myriad mc dojos will get you in shape. almost all of them have a heavy focus on cardio (to distract you from how poorly they perform in the real world :) )

if you want something to get you in shape, and actually be of some use in a bar fight, pretty much any judo, bjj, boxing or kick boxing/muay thai gym would be good.

if your goal is self defence take a weapon style. dog brothers, most silat schools etc are all pretty decent. ( putting a knife in the hands of anyone who is willing to use it, trained or not, it adds the equivalent of 10 years training )

my two cents

Back