Maximum Amount of times to work out muscle a week?

hothead

Eat,Sleep,Lift
I just wanted some input on the maximum amount of times you can work out a certain muscle,a week,with out over training it at the same time?

Others may disagree....but only ONCE per week in my mind. Plus your going to end up hitting certain muscles more than once from certain exercises indirectly.

That question really requires a little more info to answer correctly! Your age? your ultimate Goal? and your Nutrion intake all are variables! Just to name a few. Younger people have a tendancy to recover a bit faster than us older folks! If your trying to gain. Less frequency and more intense training works well. If your trying to loose weight more frequencey less intense works well.

I personally do a 2 on 1 off split this allows me ample time to recover. As I am always looking to gain. This works out to hitting each muscle group hard once every 6 day. Over the years this is what I have found to work best for my particular body type. Everyone is different and it may just take trial and error to figure out what works best for you.

I would strongly suggest keeping a training log and record every thing. IE sets, reps, bf%, how you feel, and your calorie intake. On a daily basis this is truely the only way you are going to figure out what works best for you! Patience is also important as this take a little trial and error to figure out!

Most ppl will say train each body part once a week. For me my chest is my weak area. I have wide shoulders, big lats, big biceps, but my chest is my weak point which sucks. Lately I've been doing heavy compound movements with low reps on mon chest and fri I do cables. I've noticed major strength gains doing this and my chest is starting to fill out. I personally believe you should give your muscles around 72 hrs of rest so you dot overtrain but as stated above everybody's different and you have to find what works for you. I also believe you should "cycle" your training so your muscles don't get used to your training and plateau.

to maximize ur week u can lift on major muscle (chest) take a day off lift another major muscle (legs) take a day off and lift another (back) take a day off and repeat the whole cycle (chest again). this is if u are in very good shape and an experienced lifter. otherwise u will be sore and never lift if ur sore. go hope this helps.

just to further reinforce my stance I got my info from an article on a russain olympic athlete who was discussing how the scientists in his country analyzed athletes running gear. user is correct that rest is vital, but the time it may take me to recover can be different from someone else. if u train hard matt all the time ur body gets better at recovery especially if u keep the same workout routine.

this is where the whole muscle confusion thing comes in. they act like this is something new but in reality people have been switching up there routines for centuries. a well conditioned athlete only needs two to three weeks for his body to adapt to a work out. a average athlete may take up to six weeks. so if ur in really good shape and have been doing the same routine u can train more frequently than if u are switching up ur workouts.

overall the best advice I can give u is figure out ur body. u should already know this anyways before running gear but once u figure out how ur body recovers u can have an approximate time u will need to recover. also gear makes u recover faster so if ur running u will heal a lil quicker muscle wise. it may not really make much of difference though but it may save u a day here and there over the weeks one,, . hope this helps.

Once a week is good for me...

Just remember you grow "between" workouts.

Once a week is good for me...

Just remember you grow "between" workouts.

Indeed. The lifting is just stimulation, your sleep and diet are almost more important for growth than the lift itself lol.

I go by the rule of never training a body part more than once every 5 days... once a week is even better... proper rest + proper nutrition will = growth

I just wanted some input on the maximum amount of times you can work out a certain muscle,a week,with out over training it at the same time?

The easy answer is: it depends.

Elite athletes will lift twice a day at times. olympic lifters will lift, doing variations and segments of the snatch and clean and jerk every workout, and then do for cardio kettlebell snatches or swings.

The thing I notice about being on cycle is the numbers go up fast, and the body can have a hard time growing all of the connective tissue needed.

I think a better question is how do I spot in my own body if I am overtraining?

I see it in my blood sugars, since I am diabetic. I also start getting little aches and pains, or little injuries.

The flip side of being an elite athlete is they oftentimes don't get sore.

depends...if you have a laggin bodypart...you cant hit it twice a week for a month...then back off...its a little blitz on the body...make sure you eat enough 2 recover and feed the muscle bein blitz...

Back