Maximum heart rate while doing cardio

Melbourne

I'm doing a lot cardio while I wait for a shoulder injury to settle. I thought I would hit it as hard as I could.

I did 35 minutes of the cross trainer yesterday and got my heart rate up to 179 bpm. I'm 40. Therefor using the standard formula of 220 minus your age, I calculate my maximum heart rate at 180 bpm.

What are the dangers of training at or near you maximum heart rate? Are there any benefits?

I like doing it because it feels good.

Any thoughts?

You dont want to train at your maximum level, you may look into training at about 80% and 65% in 2 then 3 minute intervals. Depending on your goals at some point a diminishing of returns may kick in. You may at 80% intensity receive results that are very close to your max, but why waste that much energy for a diminished amount of return ?

u need to find your target heart rate, and be in that zone for the longest. that is the zone where your body will be most productive at burning calories. going beyond that zone is just wasted energy.

If I was able to train with weights I would not do such intense cardio. I need to get for football next year. I've always had good endurance and I thought I would work on this while I give my shoulder a break.

Is there any harm in doing cardio at above 85% for extended periods?

i really don't know if there's any harm in what your doing. however, i'll second the interval training as a method to improve stamina. also, if i'm not mistaken, for a guy that is looking at endurance, you should also practise extended cardio at a slow constant pace. i've heard this helps train the heart to beat slower - which is actually what endurance athletes achieve. i'm not sure about the method - i'd advise that you double check with someone else who is an endurance athlete... but it is what i recall reading somewhere... the dude was a triathlete or something.

When I say endurance I mean for Rugby, not like marathon running. I need to be able to sustain power and strength for short bursts over 80 minutes while trying not to get my head knocked off.

I've been hitting the intervals as well doing sprint sessions with limited rest.

I was just wondering about extended work at near to 100% and whether it was harmful or damaged muscle tissue or reduced testosterone or whatever.

Melbourne said:
When I say endurance I mean for Rugby, not like marathon running. I need to be able to sustain power and strength for short bursts over 80 minutes while trying not to get my head knocked off.

I've been hitting the intervals as well doing sprint sessions with limited rest.

I was just wondering about extended work at near to 100% and whether it was harmful or damaged muscle tissue or reduced testosterone or whatever.
i'm pretty sure it gets catabolic rather soon. the interval training and sprints should be perfect :)

the interval training and sprints should be perfect (i agree)

6 cycles of
2 min walk
1 min jog
1 min sprint
1 min jog

or

30 sec sprint
1 min rest
on a 7+ incline

The intervals I do are:

Hill Sprint 25m x 6-8 @ 30secs

or

Flat Sprint 30secs + Jog 30secs x 6

or

Flat sprint 100m x 6-8 @ 1min

At what stage does cardio become catabolic?

Back