Minimum amount of Deca for gains

Roush

I am banned!
What would be a minimum amount of deca (in a test deca cycle) a smaller guy could run to get joint support plus see gains in strength and mass?

Thinking about a 450 test 350 deca cycle

My last cycle was 600mg test, 400 mg deca, 500 iu hcg, .5 AI eod, 4 iu hgh per day..
My bench went up from 225 to 315 while on this cycle.. I got injured mid cycle and have been outta the game since (10 months)

Thinking of a light cycle to get back into it.. Not sure if its a waste of deca to run only 350 per week though. Deca seemed to really help my strength though.
I've got 3 (and 1/2) 10 ml (200 mg) vials deca - 5 10 ml (200 mg) vials test c and 3 10ml (100 mg) vials test prop (maybe test P for a kick start)

What would be a minimum amount of deca (in a test deca cycle) a smaller guy could run to get joint support plus see gains in strength and mass?

Thinking about a 450 test 350 deca cycle

My last cycle was 600mg test, 400 mg deca, 500 iu hcg, .5 AI eod, 4 iu hgh per day..
My bench went up from 225 to 315 while on this cycle.. I got injured mid cycle and have been outta the game since (10 months)

Thinking of a light cycle to get back into it.. Not sure if its a waste of deca to run only 350 per week though. Deca seemed to really help my strength though.
I've got 3 (and 1/2) 10 ml (200 mg) vials deca - 5 10 ml (200 mg) vials test c and 3 10ml (100 mg) vials test prop (maybe test P for a kick start)

You do know why you got injured dont you?
Just because your muscles can do it, it doesn't mean your ligaments and tendons can.
Increase weights gradually.

I would avoid anything that you 'believe' is improving your strength.
You can make gains on moderate weights and higher reps, dont go heavy all the time.

Just because your muscles can do it, it doesn't mean your ligaments and tendons can.

I would avoid anything that you 'believe' is improving your strength.
You can make gains on moderate weights and higher reps, dont go heavy all the time.

Solid advice. There are some compounds which can increase tendon strength and growth, deca is one of said compounds, but if you're ramping up the weights that quickly then you need to be very careful (have a spotter, watch for nagging tendons- this is a big one, take glucosamine) or just back it off a little. It sucks, everyone loves to see the poundages go up week after week, but if you get injured then you took one step forward just to take two steps back.

Ya this is so true, just because you can go in one chest workout and bench X amount, and then the next you can go 20lbs heavier doesnt mean you should, even one more rep at the same weight or 5 lbs more on the bar will make you grow, as long as the total workload is more than the previous workout you will grow no matter what. My honest opinion, you should start off slow and train and gain strength naturally before you cycle up, coming back from an injury and jumping on a cycle right away is most likely cause you to injure yourself again and set you back even further.

. There are some compounds which can increase tendon strength and growth, deca is one of said compounds, but if you're ramping up the weights that quickly then you need to be very careful

Deca is one of those compounds.. My shoulders and knees felt great after about 4-5 weeks of being on.
My injury was to my spinal chord.. After being half paralyzed and bed ridden for months I learned my lesson not to overdue it.
That being said I'm asking about deca as a minimum to help with joint, ligaments, muscle atrophy, etc.. Wondering what the minimum amount would be to gain the benefits without going over board..

And thanks the not jumping weight up too quick is definitely solid advice.. Heck I can never even do a squat again, so I know I'm limited due to injury and am not going to push the limits and stick in the 10-12 rep range

Woah ya take is easy if its a spinal cord injury you do not wanna be screwing around with that, and even if a compound increases tendon strength it wont be able to increase it as rapidly as the increase in muscle strength.

Solid advice. There are some compounds which can increase tendon strength and growth, deca is one of said compounds, but if you're ramping up the weights that quickly then you need to be very careful (have a spotter, watch for nagging tendons- this is a big one, take glucosamine) or just back it off a little. It sucks, everyone loves to see the poundages go up week after week, but if you get injured then you took one step forward just to take two steps back.

The CLamp is here!

have no idea what is minimum amount of deca ,but 300mg NPP per week is what you are looking for .

To answer the question though, id run Deca at least at 400 mg/week, at 600 i find it really kicks some ass

Is current weight gonna effect the amount needed to be effective ?
I'm only 171 lbs right now.. down from 185 since injury. Everyones body is different obviously, but if I'm lighter then what I was previously, would I need as much Mg to be just as effective.. again, I was on 400 mg previously and it definitely boosted my strength by week 5.
Would it be benefial to start low and up the dosage as I go (or am I just wasting deca.. and should start with a dose and stick with it)?
thanks

I'm only 171 lbs right now.. down from 185 since injury. Everyones body is different obviously, but if I'm lighter then what I was previously, would I need as much Mg to be just as effective.. again, I was on 400 mg previously and it definitely boosted my strength by week 5.
Would it be benefial to start low and up the dosage as I go (or am I just wasting deca.. and should start with a dose and stick with it)?
thanks

You are going to get injured again.
Take advice when its given, stop obsessing with strength, its not all that important.

thanks
Of you start with a certain dose stick to that dose for the duration of your cycle, bouncing up and down doesnt allow your body to have a clue whats going on and creates more side effects, and anything under 400 in my opinion is pointless, but like i said in my first post, i dont think a cycle is the best thing for you right now, what happens next time when you injure you spinal cord??

You are going to get injured again.
Take advice when its given, stop obsessing with strength, its not all that important.

the medical advice I've been given to protect my back from future injury is to increase my STRENGTH all the way around (the Core as the basis. . which is worked out better from heavy compound exercises then it is sit ups).
So, strength increase is a huge part of my recovery.. . obsessing over that is just following physical therapist and doctors advice.

but I do appreciate your concern over me getting injured again. . my goal in increasing my strength, and using deca to do so, is NOT to get injured but to help recover.

Last edited:
From my understanding Deca is a 'medicine' prescribed by doctors. . NOT just a steroid sold at under ground labs for muscle building (muscle building and strength increase is a side effect of the nitrogen retention).. So I'm looking at the medical side of this as well, and there are articles with Deca being used by doctors to help patients with muscle wasting due to physical injury and to help in the rehabilitation process after a surgery.

Note: the Deca I have on hand is prescribed by a doctor and came from a pharmacy.. the prescription is only for 50mg per week for medical purposes (but I have 7000 mgs worth of it)..
So again, I'm looking at a 'medical rehabilitation' approach as well, not just some bulking cycle (but 50 mg prescription is just way to low and pointless).

View attachment 555569

Last edited:
the medical advice I've been given to protect my back from future injury is to increase my STRENGTH all the way around (the Core as the basis. . which is worked out better from heavy compound exercises then it is sit ups).
So, strength increase is a huge part of my recovery.. . obsessing over that is just following physical therapist and doctors advice.

but I do appreciate your concern over me getting injured again. . my goal in increasing my strength, and using deca to do so, is NOT to get injured but to help recover.
I agree, but your idea of strength increases seems to be big jumps in poundages, its why you're injured now isn't it?
You should increase your strength around your injury 'clean' then you know its healing properly and not labouring along with a crutch.

I agree, but your idea of strength increases seems to be big jumps in poundages, its why you're injured now isn't it?
You should increase your strength around your injury 'clean' then you know its healing properly and not labouring along with a crutch.

makes sense. . . just looking at the rehabilitation of athletes and others that come back very fast from their injury (wondering if $ allows them to get 'extra' treatments and medical procedures that most people don't... I wonder if they all rehabilitate "clean" or if they have a medical edge).

I'll take any edge I can get.

As for the injury.. I had back surgery 11 years ago due to a heridatry back issue (spinal stenosis). I had a bad back to begin with.. shoulder shrugging 225 and setting the bar down bending over was not a good idea with my bad back. That 'tweaked' things.. I was going for treatment and on a machine to stretch my lumbar spine out.. this proved to make everything worse and one day the pre-operated on disc completely came out and lodged into my spinal chord.
Needless to say.. any heavy lifting and squatting etc.. is over.
But I still want to get stronger.

That's an assumption, it could have had absolutely nothing to do with the strength increases.

I based my assumption on this

To which he replied:

Deca is one of those compounds.. My shoulders and knees felt great after about 4-5 weeks of being on.
My injury was to my spinal chord.. After being half paralyzed and bed ridden for months I learned my lesson not to overdue it.
That being said I'm asking about deca as a minimum to help with joint, ligaments, muscle atrophy, etc.. Wondering what the minimum amount would be to gain the benefits without going over board..

And thanks the not jumping weight up too quick is definitely solid advice.. Heck I can never even do a squat again, so I know I'm limited due to injury and am not going to push the limits and stick in the 10-12 rep range

Spinal cord injury from progressing 90lbs on BENCH PRESS? No very likely as the spine is supported by the bench. Could've been bad form on the squat or deadlift, could have been a weak back to begin with, could have been a multitude of things. To assume its bc he lifted heavy is a bit much. I managed to put 200lbs on my squat in a matter of 2.5months, 308Power has added over 400lbs to his squat in a couple months, and many more examples. Lifting heavy /= injury. In fact progressing in strength is better at preventing injury. Finally, you mentioned ligaments and tendons may not be able to keep up with the strength increases from muscle...how exactly would this affect the spinal cord?

To which he replied:

Spinal cord injury from progressing 90lbs on BENCH PRESS? No very likely as the spine is supported by the bench. Could've been bad form on the squat or deadlift, could have been a weak back to begin with, could have been a multitude of things. To assume its bc he lifted heavy is a bit much. I managed to put 200lbs on my squat in a matter of 2.5months, 308Power has added over 400lbs to his squat in a couple months, and many more examples. Lifting heavy /= injury. In fact progressing in strength is better at preventing injury. Finally, you mentioned ligaments and tendons may not be able to keep up with the strength increases from muscle...how exactly would this affect the spinal cord?

It would make more sense if you read the posts and responses in chronological order.
He only mentioned his back after I had mentioned ligaments and tendons.
Do you think the spine doesn't have tendons and ligaments attached to it?
I think you are just spoiling for a fight?

Last edited:
Back