more on high blood pressure

eagle_lex

hey guys just got my BP checked and yes it was high too! 30year old at 238lbs and about 14 percent bf. mine was 150 over 98!!
make sure you guys check yours. the nurse did say that the small cuffs arent worth dick, so she is bringing a thigh cuff in tomorrow. we will check it again then.

Hey.......please try to post your numbers tomorrow with the bigger cuff, it will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes for you.

what do you think about the accuracy of bP machines at walgreens, eckerds, etc. Most of them I can't fit my arm into and others are really tight before starting, does that decrease their accuracy?

Lilarnold said:
what do you think about the accuracy of bP machines at walgreens, eckerds, etc. Most of them I can't fit my arm into and others are really tight before starting, does that decrease their accuracy?

Use the right cuff;
A very important factor often overlooked by doctors is the size of the blood pressure cuff used. The cuff should be snug, but not tight. A cuff that is too small can produce a very high blood pressure reading when the actual blood pressure is normal or even below normal.

Standard-sized cuffs cannot be used with an upper arm circumference of over 16 inches. Larger cuffs, designed for use on the leg of an average size person, should be readily available and can be used on the larger arm. If a large cuff isn't available, or if the arm is too large for a thigh cuff, blood pressure can be measured by placing the cuff over the forearm, rather than the upper arm, and listening to the pulse at the wrist. Another option is to purchase a large size cuff and bring it to the doctor's office.

I was at the Dr's today, the large cuff barely fit on my arm, he actually had to help hold the velcro closed, it was one of the happiest moments of my life....

needsize said:
I was at the Dr's today, the large cuff barely fit on my arm, he actually had to help hold the velcro closed, it was one of the happiest moments of my life....

Sweet !!

StoneColdNTO said:

yup, but my blood pressure wasnt, I'm guessing it may have had something to do with the anadrol though....It was lots of fun explaining my steroid use to the cute med student though

needsize said:
yup, but my blood pressure wasnt, I'm guessing it may have had something to do with the anadrol though....It was lots of fun explaining my steroid use to the cute med student though

I wonder how much the cuff not fittng properly affected the reading ? If you don't mind saying, what was it anyways ?

Last edited:
I was wondering about the forearm part, I think I will pick one up. I had high BP before, a few weeks after leaving a high stress job, and cutting back on the coffee, it was back to safe levels.

I cant remember what it was exactly, I dont know a whole lot about blood pressure so I just asked him where abouts it was, he said pretty high but not dangerous

Ive noticed BP does fluctuate a lot, and last time I was at the urgent treatment center for torn cartlidge around my ribs from deadlifts the doc told me that mine was kind of high but a lot of people get nervous while at the dr. office and makes it go up.

Back