Votes: 30 30.0%
  • 4000 to 5000

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • 5000 +

Votes: 23 23.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mranak said:
My theory is that many guys that can lift can't count.

Hell, half the time you ask them for the carb/protein/fat breakdown and the calories from that are way off from their stated caloric intake.

Maybe I'm wrong for this, but I don't even count calories. Instead, I try and emphasize eating the right foods.

Counting calories is probably a lot easier when you eat a lot of processed foods that come in a box. But when you use fresh food (meat, fresh vegatables, fresh fruits) and prepare it yourself, it certainly seems more difficult to accurately figure out the calories. And the more you eat, the larger the margin of error.

This is very ture - For someone like myself I've basically memorized the macronutrient content of all the foods out there. Of course with the exception of processed things you know.....

However that is far from what most people can say. The vast majority of my personal training clients over estimate their food intake by at the very minimum 25%.....And sometimes more.

I honestly believe you don't need to count per se, you should have a plan in place with the approx kcals you need and you can adjust from there and make small modifications.

Then again everyone I work with gets a detailed plan with what can be substitued and the times.

i weigh about 285 290 @ ~16-17%bf right now and i know that if i go above 4000 cals even on a buk i will gain a lot of fat. i do cardio and split my meals up so its not like i am slowing my metabolism down, it just accumulates fat rather quickly.

when i bulked last i went over 5000 kcal a day. i accomplished this with lots of almond butter and peanuts! olive oil in pro shakes helped too along with protien bars between meals.

5000 in one day is a chore for sure. 5000/d consistantly is almost impossible for 95% of people out there. Seriosuly if you eat 5000+ day in and day out (cleanly or at least adhearing to a decent macro breakdown) you deserve a fucking award.

DougoeFre5h said:
5000 in one day is a chore for sure. 5000/d consistantly is almost impossible for 95% of people out there. Seriosuly if you eat 5000+ day in and day out (cleanly or at least adhearing to a decent macro breakdown) you deserve a fucking award.

TRUTH.

Can anyone give a breakdown of what their daily diet looks like with this amout of kcals? I'm very curious to see what types of foods and what kind of timing you all are eating ...

im 5k range...when bulking if if I go lower than say 4k I start to lose weight I once lost 20lbs in one week.....becuase after stopped lifting for one week I decreased my calores to like 3500 from 5k and I lost 20lbs and developed eczema....
thats just me with th ecxema thing though.....so dont flame me...my first time in my life getting it after losing that much weight.

For everyone of you saying your eating 5000 kcals / week. Please Post your diet - I'm going to be very interested in seeing this.

DirkMoneyshot said:
For everyone of you saying your eating 5000 kcals / week. Please Post your diet - I'm going to be very interested in seeing this.
You might get one reply with an actual diet someone says they stick to,I agree 100% with you....The chances of somebody consuming 5000 cals each and every day is highly unlikely.

I simply focus on protein/carbs/fat intake,then I'll figure out how many cals I'm taking in,I just think that protein consumption is far more important than telling everybody that you eat 5000 cals daily while bulking.

BRET

PARKER27 said:
You might get one reply with an actual diet someone says they stick to,I agree 100% with you....The chances of somebody consuming 5000 cals each and every day is highly unlikely.

I simply focus on protein/carbs/fat intake,then I'll figure out how many cals I'm taking in,I just think that protein consumption is far more important than telling everybody that you eat 5000 cals daily while bulking.

BRET
i did it for 8 weeks on weekdays on work days I consumed that much and many more on weekends i consumed only 4k...it was mostly liquid I got about half from....I used mostly ensure pluses to keep my cals up that high...If liquids are lying then im lying about my cals I intake, but I know I was able to gain weight with I pushed to 5k calories as opposed to 4k or below....I will post it once I find my diary of food intakes and supplements I was taking at the time 3 to 4 years ago...
to be honest it was all about caloreis for me to gain size....if I dint consume 5k calories periodically I be only 120lbs right now...in fact my bro is so skinny at 5'7" only 90lbs the doctor told him he was in trouble and needed to gain weight fast...he had weekly monitors done him he bought a bow flex and doctor forced him on ensure pluses it was no until he was up to 5k calories he finally gained 10lbs in 4 weeks.....doctor was proud of him...

DirkMoneyshot said:

I dont count cals tp the tee but believe this is in the right bracket
1) Breakfast 7:30
shake: 1/2 cup oats
2 scoops whey
250g organic strawberry yoghurt
1 medium banana
1/2 cup low fat milk

sups 3g epa/dha
2g glucosamine
1g vit C
1.5g korean ginseng
1 x high b vit multi vit

2) 10:50
1/2 cup brown rice
1 chicken breast
3 spoons olive oil

3) 1:00
75 g pasta
130g tuna (skipjack)
brocolli/ mixed veg

4) 4:00
nutrigrain ( 1/2 cup oats in juice if at home)
almonds 50g ,
whey drink 30g

5) 6:30
dinner will vary typically 2 veg here meat potato piece of fruit 20 mins later
2 spoons olive oil

sups
ginseng 1.5g

6) 8:30
50g almonds
chicken cheese and tomato toasted sandwich

7) 10:00
5 table spoons olive oil
whey caesin isphagula mix/ chicken breast and veggies

sups zinc 60 mg
vit c 1g

pwo: 40g protein 30g dextrose 70g malto
Workout time varies

Last edited:
I have to ask you -

Do you really believe that the

225g of Fat that is in your diet is actually helping you achieve your goals???

Although I didn't do much more math then that since you didn't really list amounts with proteins.

Fat intake borders on close to 40% of your kcals!!!!

Meals 2 and 7 in themselves are anywhere from 50 - 75% fat.

I'm not sure how you feel 70g of Fat directly before bed is beneficial. Your going to bed and not going to be using any energy. Fat is going to be stored as Fat-

I would like to see more diets and I will throw my $.02 in after as to how I would go about trying to hit 5,000 kcals for these guys as there are better ways.

DirkMoneyshot said:
I have to ask you -

Do you really believe that the

225g of Fat that is in your diet is actually helping you achieve your goals???

Although I didn't do much more math then that since you didn't really list amounts with proteins.

Fat intake borders on close to 40% of your kcals!!!!

Meals 2 and 7 in themselves are anywhere from 50 - 75% fat.

I'm not sure how you feel 70g of Fat directly before bed is beneficial. Your going to bed and not going to be using any energy. Fat is going to be stored as Fat-

I would like to see more diets and I will throw my $.02 in after as to how I would go about trying to hit 5,000 kcals for these guys as there are better ways.

I try to ensure fat is a minimum of 30% of my cals.Typically i take about 150g. The added fat is to just boost those cals in an easy way as i have a little exogenous help at the moment.

I purposely take a high fat meal at bed I sleep for 8-10hrs a night and can burn about 800 cals in this time. Thus the need for a high energy meal which will be slowly released over a number of hours, fat fibre caesin.
It is only stored as fat in excess which is trhe same for protein and carbs fat is not an enemy.

Maxgain said:
I try to ensure fat is a minimum of 30% of my cals.Typically i take about 150g. The added fat is to just boost those cals in an easy way as i have a little exogenous help at the moment.

I purposely take a high fat meal at bed I sleep for 8-10hrs a night and can burn about 800 cals in this time. Thus the need for a high energy meal which will be slowly released over a number of hours, fat fibre caesin.
It is only stored as fat in excess which is trhe same for protein and carbs fat is not an enemy.

Your problem with this thinking is the catabolic stages you incur while sleeping are important for the rest of the day and the anabolism which happens.

Your of the belief that this meal will last you through the 8 hour sleep - far from the truth.

If that philosophy was "true" what would the need for several feedings during the day be? 3 would get us buy with that thinking. We would just need to up the total kcal content in each of those meals, but it should hold us over with your way of thinking.

Also the fact that fat is more readily stored as fat is a problem.

Just so we can get this out on the board. Would you mind showing us your pics- Hold a sign up with FUCK YOU DIRKMONEYSHOT I PROVED YOU WRONG!!!

If not how about giving my method a try and seeing how much of a change there is????

DirkMoneyshot said:
Your problem with this thinking is the catabolic stages you incur while sleeping are important for the rest of the day and the anabolism which happens.

Your of the belief that this meal will last you through the 8 hour sleep - far from the truth.

If that philosophy was "true" what would the need for several feedings during the day be? 3 would get us buy with that thinking. We would just need to up the total kcal content in each of those meals, but it should hold us over with your way of thinking.

Also the fact that fat is more readily stored as fat is a problem.

Just so we can get this out on the board. Would you mind showing us your pics- Hold a sign up with FUCK YOU DIRKMONEYSHOT I PROVED YOU WRONG!!!

If not how about giving my method a try and seeing how much of a change there is????

I believe a lot of anabolism take place at night and will provide the best enviornment. Will my meal last 8 hrs i doubt it but fat is the best nutrient with the caesin for a prolonged release and it will come pretty darn close.

I would be much more inclined to store fat with a high carb meal the relaase would be too quick.

And yes there is no need for multiple feedings 3 meals a day is sufficient and i will post a study i seen to show it. However i take my hat off to the man who can eat a clean 5000 cals with required protein intake in 3 meals.

I welcome all advice though and I know you are telling me to cut down on fats but what is your approach then eat more carbs earlier in day?

Last edited:
Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Westerterp KR.

Department of Human Biology, University of Limburg, Maastricht, The Netherlands.

A study was conducted to investigate the effect of feeding frequency on the rate and composition of weight loss and 24 h energy metabolism in moderately obese women on a 1000 kcal/day diet. During four consecutive weeks fourteen female adults (age 20-58 years, BMI 25.4-34.9 kg/m2) restricted their food intake to 1000 kcal/day. Seven subjects consumed the diet in two meals daily (gorging pattern), the others consumed the diet in three to five meals (nibbling pattern). Body mass and body composition, obtained by deuterium dilution, were measured at the start of the experiment and after two and four weeks of dieting. Sleeping metabolic rate (SMR) was measured at the same time intervals using a respiration chamber. At the end of the experiment 24 h energy expenditure (24 h EE) and diet-induced thermogenesis (DIT) were assessed by a 36 h stay in the respiration chamber. There was no significant effect of the feeding frequency on the rate of weight loss, fat mass loss or fat-free mass loss. Furthermore, fat mass and fat-free mass contributed equally to weight loss in subjects on both gorging and nibbling diet. Feeding frequency had no significant effect on SMR after two or four weeks of dieting. The decrease in SMR after four weeks was significantly greater in subjects on the nibbling diet. 24 h EE and DIT were not significantly different between the two feeding regimens

Effect of the pattern of food intake on human energy metabolism.

Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Westerterp KR, Kester AD.

Department of Human Biology, University of Limburg, Maastricht, The Netherlands.

The pattern of food intake can affect the regulation of body weight and lipogenesis. We studied the effect of meal frequency on human energy expenditure (EE) and its components. During 1 week ten male adults (age 25-61 years, body mass index 20.7-30.4 kg/m2) were fed to energy balance at two meals/d (gorging pattern) and during another week at seven meals/d (nibbling pattern). For the first 6 d of each week the food was provided at home, followed by a 36 h stay in a respiration chamber. O2 consumption and CO2 production (and hence EE) were calculated over 24 h. EE in free-living conditions was measured over the 2 weeks with doubly-labelled water (average daily metabolic rate, ADMR). The three major components of ADMR are basal metabolic rate (BMR), diet-induced thermogenesis (DIT) and EE for physical activity (ACT). There was no significant effect of meal frequency on 24 h EE or ADMR. Furthermore, BMR and ACT did not differ between the two patterns. DIT was significantly elevated in the gorging pattern, but this effect was neutralized by correction for the relevant time interval. With the method used for determination of DIT no significant effect of meal frequency on the contribution of DIT to ADMR could be demonstrated.

Influence of the feeding frequency on nutrient utilization in man: consequences for energy metabolism.

Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Westerterp KR.

A study was conducted to investigate whether there is a diurnal pattern of nutrient utilization in man and how this is affected by meal frequency to explain possible consequences of meal frequency for body weight regulation. When the daily energy intake is consumed in a small number of large meals, there is an increased chance to become overweight, possibly by an elevated lipogenesis (fat synthesis and accumulation) or storage of energy after the meal. Thirteen subjects, two males and eleven females, were fed to energy balance in two meals per day (gorging pattern) and seven meals per day (nibbling pattern) over 2-day intervals. On the second day on each feeding regimen, the diurnal pattern of nutrient utilization was calculated from simultaneous measurements of oxygen consumption, carbon dioxide production and urinary nitrogen excretion over 3 h intervals in a respiration chamber. A gorging pattern of energy intake resulted in a stronger diurnal periodicity of nutrient utilization, compared to a nibbling pattern. However, there were no consequences for the total 24 h energy expenditure (24 h EE) of the two feeding patterns (5.57 +/- 0.16 kJ/min for the gorging pattern; 5.44 +/- 0.18 kJ/min for the nibbling pattern). Concerning the periodicity of nutrient utilization, protein oxidation during the day did not change between the two feeding patterns. In the gorging pattern, carbohydrate oxidation was significantly elevated during the interval following the first meal (ie from 1200 h to 1500 h, P less than 0.01) and the second meal (ie from 1800 h to 2100 h, P less than 0.05). The decreased rate of carbohydrate oxidation observed during the fasting period (from rising in the morning until the first meal at 1200 h), was compensated by an increased fat oxidation from 0900 to 1200 h to cover energy needs. In the nibbling pattern, carbohydrate and fat oxidation remained relatively constant during the active hours of the day

For every piece like the one presented we could put another article up that says the opposite- Another thing who on this board takes in 1000 kcals / day? Present me something that is more in line with what we do

Real world results and working with literally a couple hundred individuals has shown me what works and doesn't.

How about giving my diet a try??

Plan Followed 5 days / week

Meal 1:

12 Egg Whites
1 cup Old Fashion Oatmeal w/
2 tbsp. Honey
1 whole Grain Bagel
1 Banana

Meal 2:

8 oz. Chicken Breast
1/2 cup Brown Rice

Meal 3:

10 oz. Top Sirloin
6 oz. Baby Red Potato
Large Romaine Lettuce Salad w/
2 tbsp. Newman's Own Olive Oil & Vinegar Dressing

Meal 4:

8 oz. Chicken Breast
1 cup Brown Rice
1 Med Granny Smith Appple

Meal 5: (Postworkout)

50g Whey Protein Isolate
2 servings Trueprotein Waxy Maize
1 cup Old Fashion Oats w/
2 tbsp. Honey
1/4 cup Raisins

(DRINK THE WAXY MAIZE IMMEDIATELY AFTER WORKING OUT - CONSUME OtHER ITEMS 20 MINUTES LATER)

Meal 6:

10 oz. Top Sirloin
6 oz. Baby Red Potato
1 cup Asparagus

THE OTHER 2 days / week

CUT OUT MEAL 3 and 5 -

4 Mcdonalds Double Cheeseburgers
Large Fry

Last edited:
I'm going to bet that if you follow mine you'll get to where your wanting to go a lot faster then with what you have posted.

Note that 5 days / week we are not hitting 5000 kcals. Probably just over 4,000- the other 2 is around 7,000

Let me know how your metabolism and body comp changes are.

DirkMoneyshot said:
For every piece like the one presented we could put another article up that says the opposite- Another thing who on this board takes in 1000 kcals / day? Present me something that is more in line with what we do

Real world results and working with literally a couple hundred individuals has shown me what works and doesn't.

The first study was 1000cals the others were to energy balance which relates to the majority of the population. Its the principle of them that is the point that the body will utilise a continuous amount of nutirients better when thefact is that if you eat well you can prevent a catabolic state with 3 meals a day

DirkMoneyshot said:

How about giving my diet a try??

Plan Followed 5 days / week

Meal 1:
12 Egg Whites
1 cup Old Fashion Oatmeal w/
2 tbsp. Honey
1 whole Grain Bagel
1 Banana

Meal 2:

8 oz. Chicken Breast
1/2 cup Brown Rice

Meal 3:

10 oz. Top Sirloin
6 oz. Baby Red Potato
Large Romaine Lettuce Salad w/
2 tbsp. Newman's Own Olive Oil & Vinegar Dressing

Meal 4:

8 oz. Chicken Breast
1 cup Brown Rice
1 Med Granny Smith Appple

Meal 5: (Postworkout)

50g Whey Protein Isolate
2 servings Trueprotein Waxy Maize
1 cup Old Fashion Oats w/
2 tbsp. Honey
1/4 cup Raisins

(DRINK THE WAXY MAIZE IMMEDIATELY AFTER WORKING OUT - CONSUME OtHER ITEMS 20 MINUTES LATER)

Meal 6:

10 oz. Top Sirloin
6 oz. Baby Red Potato
1 cup Asparagus

THE OTHER 2 days / week

CUT OUT MEAL 3 and 5 -

4 Mcdonalds Double Cheeseburgers
Large Fry

Ok meal 1 I do not be hungry in the morning and thus can only get sufficient cals in liquid form thus my home made shake. I also used to eat eggs daily for breakfast and somthing happened I dont know what but i cant stomach the sight of them. I also do not see the point in leaving out the yolks unless you are genetically predisposed you should not have to worry about cholesterol it is a waste of nutrients though i wouldnt risk 12 myself

****Please tell me they are not raw egg whites!**************

Meal 2 well its the same as mine so icant argue.
I have just added in the oil the last few days to increase my cals as i have higher test at the moment.

Meal 3 there is not much difference i prefer fibrous veggies to salad and will have steak sometimes but with very high iron levels have cut down

Meal 4: its grand would have no prob using it

Meal5: well its your pwo I prefer the malto and dextrose then will have oats or pasta with chicken

Meal 6: Big diference here I will never eat less than 3 meals after a workout and never a meal this small before going to bed if if i trained that evening Huge smounts of repair can occur in this period if you can create the right enviornment

Back