muay thai, the best heavy weights..

I saw the title of this and Hoost immedietly came to mind. What a machine he was. Andy Hug was another machine brother!!!

Last edited:
the biggest puncher in k1

i used to get teased, called " little bernardo"

he was 6'5 and 260 lbs... i wasn't insulted

this guy would pray before fights.. that he didn't hurt anybody

rest in peace bernardo

people don't know this about hug..

but in his native switzerland he wasnt very well liked as a young man - had a reputation as a bully

total bad ass, he would have likely rarely if ever been defeated had he fought within his weight division, at crusier weight

guy had such a big heart such a warrior - he preferred fighting giants

when he passed away it came out how well liked he was by the other fighters, he had found his place in the world and found some peace

Last edited:
people don't know this about hug..

but in his native switzerland he wasnt very well liked as a young man - had a reputation as a bully

total bad ass, he would have likely rarely if ever been defeated had he fought within his weight division, at crusier weight

guy had such a big heart such a warrior - he preferred fighting giants

when he passed away it came out how well liked he was by the other fighters, he had found his place in the world and found some peace

Ya thats cool. Crazy bouts those open weight tourneys are. Even in Pride some of the match ups were something youd never dream of and the outcome of some of them the same. Amazing fights. K1 and Pride over UFC any day. Thats just my opinion though.

man i miss pride..

i fought under pride rules a few times.

people don't realize how slanted the rules are in the UFC to protect grapplers from the true capabilities of strikers

( no kicking or kneeing down opponents for example)

under pride rules i could sprawl and catch a guy shooting in on me for take downs, then from a guillotine hold drop knees on him til the ref jumped in..

same thing wit knees from side control.. its fucking game over - but under ufc rules the jits gys have all these avenues to their achiles heels effectively cut off and protecting them from just being utterly dominated and destroyed by the stand up fighters..

under ufc rules, a guy misses his take down attempt, and can just sit on the ground and look at you - gets a pass on as many failed and fucked up takedown attempts as he wants. if he can't stand the heat of standing and exchanging - they can fucking lay down and pretty much end any stand up game at all.

even the small joint manipulations being banned - you can't hang onto me if i can break chokes by even just manipulating the hand open - I'm not even talking about breaking pinkies , but just rolling peoples wrist and cracking open their grip at the thumb

the shit isn't anything close to " ultmitae fighting"

more along the lines of

"we are an organization founded and run by grapplers"

"we try our best to make Jits look more effective than it is, please don't murder the grapplers"

it is fucking WEAK SHIT

ufc rules are fucking lame

worse than that- i do not like their business model or the way fighters are treated..

just a complete shit organization.

look up wanderlei silva and his emotional retirement farewell address..

a great champion who fought his heart out every time, and the ufc tried to whore this guy out who is way past his prime - to make their ufc fighters look like they are better fighters than they actually are.

just turns my stomach

Last edited:
Oh ya, I dont even watch UFC anymore, almost seems to me like its turning into the WWE. Its fuckin chessy man.

Pride was just a whole other level of talent and fighters. I mean the line of fighters they had at one point was outstanding. I remember watching videos when I was younger of Wanderlei Silva just destroyring people and was in awe. Sad to see him come back and fight in the UFC and have it go the way it did for him. Not surprising though. He is my all time Fav. A little wild, but very dangerous at all times he was.

the ufc has ruined MMA

it is a really sad state of affairs when guys like silva are treated like that..

ima sakuraba guy, wanderlei beat up my fav mma fighter - the gracie hunter!

i feel a new thread coming on..

not many guys commenting here, fuck it

we have the joint to ourselves man lol

the ufc has ruined MMA

it is a really sad state of affairs when guys like silva are treated like that..

No ones commenting cuz most people watch UFC and have no idea what Pride or K1 is. Lol. Kidding.....well....half kidding.

Ya i actually liked Sakuraba as well. He was a great fighter.

I was alwaysed amazed at how long they let fights go before calling them. I guess though if you look at it, doing it that way theres no second guessing whos got the KO or TKO. You look at all the early stoppages and phoney stoppages that robbed fighters of a possible win in the UFC, its ridiculous.

And on a side note, Bruce Buffer drives me insane. What a clown. Lol. Michael Buffer is the man.

met em both, bruce was cool mike seemed like a dick - maybe just having a shitty day(?)

we started calling mike "pickle"

yea,, Pickle buffer. dude had no sense of humor about that shit

but yeah, mikes got the talent for barking bruce just doesn't have the same puff goin' for him

still tho - take the pickle buffer brothers over this guy..

just have no idea how jimmy lennon jr got his fucking job haha

Lmfao the pickle buffer brothers.

Ya Lennon Jr is hard on the ears for sure!

I tell you what im lookin forwrd to, not MMA, but Paquiao and Mayweather!!! Oh man. And the money those guys are making in that fight is absolutely ridiculous.

mike bernardo,, south african

yeah 6'5 and 260 lbs

I'm 5'10 was 168 super middleweight when i started ff

dutch guys called me " little bernardo" because we looked physically very similar, and when i started out i was aggressive puncher kicker that moved forward, always on attack. wasn't refined boxer at all and got by on toughness and aggression until i learned the sport and had experience..

bernardo was a wild card, huge underdog when he faced hug in his k1 debut

mike stunned everyone and ko'd hug

then stunned everyone ko'd peter aerts, who was thought unbeatable at that time.

bernado was very sensitive guy, a christian who would pray before his fights that he wouldn't hurt his opponent

apparently had really hurt a coupe guys as a amateur, he could give you a speech impediment with on hard shot.

one of his early opponents in south afirca was in a coma for a coupe days after a fight.. story goes bernardo wouldn't leave hospital and bawled like a baby and prayed without sleeping of two days until the man regained consciousness

afyer retiring fro fighitng bernardo opened a boys club and taught boxing to underpriveledge youth in africa

he graduated with a degree in psychology and opened a practice

met bernardo a couple times , he was very soft spoken in person. i was struck by how carefu he was to put other people at ease.. gentle handshake and always big smile to soften the way he was perceived by others. i was a big fan of the fighter, even bigger fan of the human being.

mike was found dead from a suicide, had life long struggles with depression that i guess had him in so much pain all the time he just wanted to find peace

always the ones with big hearts.. the pricks and dirtbags go on and on forever, the ones with good hearts sometimes th world is too much for them

bothers me to this day, that such a man was in a place so dark. really had a lot of respect for this guy

floyd is the favorite ..

but i promise everyone - mayweather will take a beating even if he wins

i hope manny puts it on his arrogant ass, though i know this fight was carefully timed because floyds camp has something they know about mannys current health/ injuries / personal situation that they chose now to make the fight.

the ufc has ruined MMA

Poor Sakuraba, Silva destroyed the poor guy. I'll never forget that kick to his shin that liquefied it to a pulp. I agree with you guys, the old Pride was the shit, but we do need to recognize that there were some moves made illegal for good reason. Elbows to the back of the head comes to mind.

My favorite fighter of all time was Igor Vovchanchyn. Dude had fists like cinder blocks and every time a grappler went in for a take down, they were met with a knee to the head.

Saddens me knowing the money difference between REAL fighting, and the crap they call boxing.

Poor Sakuraba, Silva destroyed the poor guy. I'll never forget that kick to his shin that liquefied it to a pulp. I agree with you guys, the old Pride was the shit, but we do need to recognize that there were some moves made illegal for good reason. Elbows to the back of the head comes to mind.

My favorite fighter of all time was Igor Vovchanchyn. Dude had fists like cinder blocks and every time a grappler went in for a take down, they were met with a knee to the head.

Saddens me knowing the money difference between REAL fighting, and the crap they call boxing.

Vonchanchyn was crazy man. Similar stand up game as Silva........swing the hammers as hard as you can, as much as you can, lol. Love it.

Back