My Forearms look like Toothpicks - Help, Please!

My Forearms look like Toothpicks - PICTURES Added

UPDATE NOTE: MY PICTURES ARE NOW ATTACHED

Hi Guys,

So, I'm 6-foot-2 and I only weigh 155 pounds. I used to be 138-140, so this is progress!

Anyway, I've started working out about 3 weeks ago and I'm mostly satisfied with the results. I'm becoming a little chiseled and my core feels more stable. My existing goals are just to bulk up my chest (because it's like a bird chest right now), get my shoulders in order, get some abs and to work on my arms - since this is the first thing people see when I wear short sleeve shirts - which I really hate to do since I'm so tiny.

I've found the ideal machines to work on my shoulders, abs and biceps at the gym, but how do I work on my forearms? Even if I get decent biceps (which I'm only able to lift 25-30 pounds on the biceps machine right now), then how do I do anything about the forearms?

Here's what I'm doing at the gym right now... mostly because these machines are tucked away in a corner where I don't have to feel self-conscious (very few ppl around).

Ab Machine: Lifting 122 130 pounds
Shoulder Machine: Lifting 25 to 30 pounds
Upper Back / Lats Machine: Lifting 100 pounds
Biceps Machine: Lifting 25 to 30 pounds
Triceps Machine: Lifting 50 to 60 pounds

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I'm only eating about 1,000 calories per day although I should be eating around 3,000. I have no idea how to increase my calorie intake, b/c I feel like I'm eating a lot already. Any help in that area would be good, too.

MY PICTURES - TAKEN 8/15/2012 - Approaching 3 weeks in the gym. Diet is now up to around 2,000 cal / day (8/15/2012)

THIS IS HOW I WANT TO LOOK ONE DAY.... IN MY DREAMS, I SUPPOSE...

Last edited:
bro you're all fucked up. i see you're not working legs AT ALL. stay away from the machines, stick to big heavy compound movements. bench, squat, deadlift, pullups, sometype of horizontal row, dips, overhead press. if you're 6'2" 155 your forearms aint the only thing that looks like toothpicks. quit curling bro, focus your energy on COMPOUND MOVEMENTS. and 1000 cals a day? might as well not even be lifting. increase by 500 cals at a time, week to week until you're consistently eating over 3000 calories a day. your stomache needs to stretch, it's used to eating like a little bitch. you're not gonna go from 1000 cals a day to 3000 cals a day over night without being bloated and puking.

just start looking at the nutritional facts on the food you buy. some stuff is filling and has hardly any calories, just a lot of fiber. here's an example man, digiorno 3 meat pizza. you should be able to eat half that pizza in one sitting, that's nearly 1000 calories right there. save the other half for 3 hours later, boom you got 2000 cals already that day. drink 2 glasses of milk inbetween meals, 2 glasses is easy to down and has 300 calories. have a peanutbutter and honey sandwich with two glasses of milk after lifting. that's 600 calories and is great for you. the simple sugars in the honey spike your insuling helping with nutrition absorption directly after working out. milk is the shit! try and drink a half gallon a day. 60% of your calories should come from carbs, 30% from protein and 10% from fat. as long as it aint trans fat i don't give a shit where you get it from. saturated, unsaturated, who gives a fuck. now get out there and eat.

fuck machines you need free weights.I found spanking the monkey gets my 4arms jacked!

Thanks for the response, but if spankin' the monkey worked for enlarging the forearms, then mine would be bigger than any body builder around.... I get down around 4-5 times a day. Still weak lil twigs!

Also, should I start with free weights already, when I'm so weak? I wouldn't be able to lift more than like 20 lb.

Last edited:
bro you're all fucked up. i increase by 500 cals at a time, week to week until you're consistently eating over 3000 calories a day. your stomache needs to stretch, it's used to eating like a little bitch. you're not gonna go from 1000 cals a day to 3000 cals a day over night without being bloated and puking.

This was an excellent reply. I notice that you didn't mention anything about weight gainer supplements - interesting. I was thinking that would be the first bit of advise I would receive, but I'm glad to learn that there are more natural ways to achieve higher calorie intakes. Did you see the picture in my original post? Should I be able to look like that in 12 months of being in the gym? I'm heading to Europe next month and I was thinking about a cycle (in Germany), but I guess that's dumb since I still won't have the calories to support the growth!

I'll be on a 14 day cruise soon, which should be helpful in the dieting part. I guess I don't eat more because I don't have the time to prepare healthy meals and such. On the ship, I can eat 24/7 for free! So... I'll definitely be eating all day / night...

This was an excellent reply. I notice that you didn't mention anything about weight gainer supplements - interesting. I was thinking that would be the first bit of advise I would receive, but I'm glad to learn that there are more natural ways to achieve higher calorie intakes. Did you see the picture in my original post? Should I be able to look like that in 12 months of being in the gym? I'm heading to Europe next month and I was thinking about a cycle (in Germany), but I guess that's dumb since I still won't have the calories to support the growth!

I'll be on a 14 day cruise soon, which should be helpful in the dieting part. I guess I don't eat more because I don't have the time to prepare healthy meals and such. On the ship, I can eat 24/7 for free! So... I'll definitely be eating all day / night...

you don't need weight gainers. if you can go all natural in your diet, that's for the best. 3000 and even 4000 calories a day is easy to acheive without protein shakes. with that said though, i sometimes drink a protein shake upon waking up to end the catabolic fasting from sleeping as quickly as possible. then it's off to the gym and after that whole foods all day. i'm so sick the same old shake though so i've just been drinking 2 glasses of chocolate milk and a banana after waking up, that's 500 calories. my protein shake is only 400. here's another way to get alot of calories in a day, but i would only do it say twice a week because it will get old fast if you do it everyday. 1.3 pounds of ground beef with one box of 4 cheese ricearoni. cost= roughly 5 dollars. calories= 2400! i like to split it into two tupperware containers, have one for lunch and the other right before or after i get off work so i have time to get hungry for dinner. you have to get the most fatty beef though, 1 gram of fat is 8 calories, 1 gram of protein or carbs is 4 calories. fat is your friend, fat doesn't make you fat, fat combined with carbs at the wrong times do, and if you're like me you are a fat burning machine anyways. i get the 73% lean beef. this meal is delicious and isn't bad after being reheated in a microwave. over time you will learn what foods are the best for high caloric intake. like i said the ricearoni meal, digiorno 3 meat pizza for 7 bucks, the chickfila 12 count nugget value sized with a sweet tea is 1000 calories roughly, and one of the healthiest options when it comes to fast food. also around 7 dollars. eggs are great for you and i would include them when you can but they don't count for shit hardly when it comes to calories. i'm not saying eat like shit.... but you can be a little loosey goosey here with your diet. i say fuck it as long as it doesn't contain a shit ton of sugar you're good. bananas are 200 calories a piece, 50 carbs half of which come from sugar. so eat one after waking up and one after your workout.

Another tip is to grip the shit out of the bar when doing excersizes, hanging until you cant no more. I heard fat gripz work decently too, although i haven't tried them first hand.

When ALL else fails, you can do the 5 finger shuffle like bundy said

oh and can you look like the guy in that picture in 12 months? possibly. the guy's not that big, just very low bodyfat which makes him look bigger. i'd say he's probably 5'10" 175. if you're 6'2" you'd need to weigh around 200. you will gain the most weight and make the most rapid strength gains your first 3 months or so of lifting. if your diet is check and you lift and rest properly you could probably hit 170 in this time frame. another 30 pounds in 9 months time after that with no gear? probably not going to happen. don't get discouraged though, you will get there one day. you will probably end up using AAS within a year, no matter what anyone says on here you're going to do what you're going to do. with gear yes you can look like that in a year. atleast get your diet and training in check and do it natty for a year before you even think about AAS. i'd also recommend getting up with 3J about your diet. probably the best money you're going to spend.

Another tip is to grip the shit out of the bar when doing excersizes, hanging until you cant no more. I heard fat gripz work decently too, although i haven't tried them first hand.

When ALL else fails, you can do the 5 finger shuffle like bundy said

ain't shit gonna grow if he's only getting 1000 calories a day bro. plus there's no point in trying to bring up one body part when you are 6'2 and weigh 155! everything needs to grow. if he does his basic compound lifts heavy enough and eats enough, his forearms will grow as everything else does.

you will probably end up using AAS within a year, no matter what anyone says on here you're going to do what you're going to do. with gear yes you can look like that in a year. atleast get your diet and training in check and do it natty for a year before you even think about AAS.

Hey bro... a sincere "Thank you" for being so attentive about the concern I have with my weight. Again, I'm feeling good with the new curves I'm seeing on my body... and I'm glad that I'm not hurting after my workouts anymore --- it took about 2 wks for my muscles to settle down, although I loved the lactic acid phase (it hurt like hell, but I was looking nice and swollen!).

Don't be so quick to think I'll succomb to AAS within a year. Remember, I was a member of this site back in 2002 and I honored the advice I got from you guys. Last year, I was even pals with a doctor that was a 'muscle queen' (yea, he was homo) and had roid all over his crib. He prescribed and everything, but I never tried it or asked for any (we're no longer friends, so no contact info guys!!!).

Simply put: If I can get to 175 in less than 6 months (and you estimated 3 mo based on the increased diet) then I'll feel very confident and satisfied. If I can get to 190 by 12 months, then I'm going to be happy as a bug in a rug!

Please note two things for future reference:

- I'm lactose intolerant (I see a lot of your advice involves milk "shakes" etc.)
- Lumbar spine is fucked up, due to some herniated disc (so some things I just can't do)
- I don't have a bunch of money (grad student here), so some things may be cost prohibitive (steaks / pure chicken breasts) - so your ideas of affordable solutions = appreciated

P.S. I tried to PM you, but it doesn't appear that I have permission to do so... are you blocked or only accept from your friends?

Last edited:
Definitely take the above advice^^ If you just pound down food on top of compound movements you will make EXCELLENT gains and hit your goal without a problem but only YOU can push yourself to do it. We can sit here and talk all day but unless you utilize it, it will be worthless.

Focus on learning the Bench (or dips), Deadlift, Pull-ups/Chins, Bent Over Rows and Squats. Make it your GOAL to perfect your form on these movements and CHALLENGE yourself. Work on getting 3-4 straight sets with a weight and when you can get 8 reps on every set, up the weight. This way your systematically de-loading but progressive overloading which means you are adapting to a certain weight THEN adapting to more volume then repeat. You will be pleasantly surprised where you will be in a couple months if coupled with keeping your food intake high.

I would really load up on rice it's cheap and plentiful for what you get, rice a roni sounds good like mentioned above. Carbs are your bulking friend, you could easily hit 190 in a year!

Definitely take the above advice^^ If you just pound down food on top of compound movements you will make EXCELLENT gains and hit your goal without a problem but only YOU can push yourself to do it. We can sit here and talk all day but unless you utilize it, it will be worthless.

Focus on learning the Bench (or dips), Deadlift, Pull-ups/Chins, Bent Over Rows and Squats. Make it your GOAL to perfect your form on these movements and CHALLENGE yourself. Work on getting 3-4 straight sets with a weight and when you can get 8 reps on every set, up the weight. This way your systematically de-loading but progressive overloading which means you are adapting to a certain weight THEN adapting to more volume then repeat. You will be pleasantly surprised where you will be in a couple months if coupled with keeping your food intake high.

This is excellent information. Thank you. I need to look up "Compound movements".... but whatever they are, I'll do them.

i didn't mean to label you as someone who will do something even if advised against it, it's just what we deal with here everyday so you can see where i'm coming from. stay natural as long as possible man, but once you hit a certain point steroids are your friend if you are mature about it and do them right. now as far as your lumbar is concerned, i would get with your doctor before you continue any further and see if there are certain things he tells you not to do. however, if you do it right and start out light and get your form down perfect and gradually go up in weight, deadlifts will most likely help with your back problems. i was blown up in afghanistan and then subsequently threw my back out 3 times in the span of 2 months. trust me i know about back problems, ever since i started deadlifting i have zero back pain and my posture is much better. ok so you're lactose intolerant, that sucks. but there is still plenty you can eat, i just love milk because it's easy to get 300 calories here and there and you need calcium and vitamin d if you are doing any heavy weight lifting. you say you are strapped for cash, well then my friend let me tell you about sam's club. i get skinless boneless chicken tenders (all natural) for 1.97 a pound. also they have good quality steaks for 3 something a pound and 5 something a pound. you can't beat that. i also get a huge bag of oreida crinkle cut fries for 6 bucks. sam's club is your best friend if you are bulking. i see you said you don't know what compound movements are. they are anything that uses 2 or more muscle groups and usually uses two joints, not just one. benchpress, overhead press, dips, any type of horizontal or vertical rows, squats, deadlifts. these are your mass builders. isolation exercises are anything that isolates one muscle group, like flies (which are great for chest size and fullness), curls (useless IMO), tricep pushdowns, skull crushers, tricep extensions, calve raises (you need to do these because calves don't realy get worked doing anything else), forearm curls, leg extensions, etc. the only isolation exercises i encourage are flies, calve raises and possibly some back entensions. also look up how to do glute ham raises, great assistance exercise for deads and squats. your forearms are going to get hit good from doing pullups and any type of rows, i would also do farmer's walks. if you have access to rings do your dips on these from time to time. also look up hang cleans. screw shrugs, hang cleans are going to blow your traps up along with your entire yolk. now get out there and get some!

Hey guys,

I see that Hungry Man microwave dinners are on-sale this week, 2 for $6. They range in calorie count from 600 calories to 960 calories. Yes! That can be my lunch over the next few wks.

hey you can be a little lenient (did i spell that right?) with your diet but watch out for processed foods man. i guarantee you that shit is loaded with sodium and possibly a good bit of sugar. nothing wrong with having one once in a while but i wouldn't eat them for lunch every day for a month. think of your health too man, you get one body and you gotta live with it.

Don, I must say you're a good dude for sticking with a post and seeing it through like you are. To be honest, at first I thought this guy was playing a damn joke on us. 1000 calories a day and thinks he can grow, I'm surprised he doesn't pass out from hunger, I know I would. I would have to say that the OP needs to get his hands on any food he can. Eat something every couple hours man. I knowk you said you have a bad back and can't do certain things, but in most cases that's BS. I have 2 cracked discs and for a while could hardly walk it hurt so bad. They wanted to do surgery on me and I said hell no and stuck it out. I do anything and everything in the gym. Sure I get flare ups and hurt like hell from time to time, but you learn to live with the pain. Check out a book called Healing Back Pain by Dr. John Sarno. You will thank me a million times for sharing that advice with you. I know I have said it a lot, but check out the routine I posted in this section of the forum and start out slow with it. Cut the sets down for a bit and even eliminate a couple of the lifts until you can handle it. It's not for beginners, but cutting some things out or just take 2 sets off each lift for a while will help a lot. Like Don said, nothing in the world is going to help you grow if you don't start eating a whole lot more. Being lactose intollerant sucks, but you can substitute shit and be just fine. Some of the shit gets expensive though. Don't think about any roids either for a while. Get the diet and training in check and see where you are in a year. You will find to get the body like the guy in the pic you posted you don't need any kind of roids. You can achieve that naturally. You have a ways to go, but I think you will notice substantial gains in a short time given you follow the advice we have given you. Good luck!

Don, I must say you're a good dude for sticking with a post and seeing it through like you are. To be honest, at first I thought this guy was playing a damn joke on us.

Dear Live2Train,

Don is an excellent guy and I definitely appreciate every piece of advice he's provided. I'm working on it. Later today I'll post some pictures of me and update the thread every week with my diet and workout routines. I hope to see improvements soon.

Everything everyone has offered seems super-doable, but one thing that I loathe is the idea of working out downstairs. At my gym, the free weights, bar bells, dumb bells, etc. are located downstairs while the machines for girls and punks are located upstairs (giggling). I've become quite comfy in the corner with the machines referenced in the original post. Those guys downstairs are big grunts and, well, I'm going to feel like shit for a while.

On a lighter note, I have some light at the end of my tunnel...

1) between now and when I leave for vacation, I can just go very early or very late to the gym.
2) on vacation (the cruise I mentioned), there will be no need for self consciousness - although I'll have to take it very easy, b/c I'll be far from home without medical care
3) when I return from vacation, I can purchase some free weights and do things from the apartment to kill the issue with being too skinny.

Back