Near death experience (PLEASE READ UP ON PROTEIN)

Johny J said:
This genetic defect is causing your body to not be ble to process one or more of the amino acids the protein powder is loaded up with. In natural meat, perhaps the level isnt high enough and your body can handle it. In the amino-loaded protein powder, the levels are to high and building up to toxic levels in your body.

Exactly... not that uncommon, either. Phenylketonuria comes to mind right away. Look at this link: http://www.np.edu.sg/~dept-bio/biochemistry/aab/topics/aab_amino.htm#urea (the phenylalanine is ingested as aspartame and phenylketonuria causes the aspartate to not be able to donate its amonia group.)

RB

Last edited:
I was checked for diabetes and I didnt have it... im taking some more blood tests tommorow so hopefully that may shine some light as to what happened

arby said:
Exactly... not that uncommon, either. Phenylketonuria comes to mind right away. Look at this link: http://www.np.edu.sg/~dept-bio/biochemistry/aab/topics/aab_amino.htm#urea (the phenylalanine is ingested as aspartame and phenylketonuria causes the aspartate to not be able to donate its amonia group.)

RB

yup. hence the warning on nutrasweet saying "Warning, contains Phenylkenetoronics" or some shit like that.
Peopl wioth that disorder have to watch what they eat, or the levels build up to toxic levels and destroy neurons in their brain.

I am betting you have some other enzyme defect they are looking for in your genetic code.

Arby,
Background in Med? MD, Biochemist, etc?

thanks for all your input I have learned a lot and I may have a genetic defect that affects me taking high amounts of protein powder... But I know I have consumed 200g+ protein from real foods without a problem... I'll make sure the Docs take this Phenylkenetoronics into consideration. Thanks.

TRicKtOutT said:
thanks for all your input I have learned a lot and I may have a genetic defect that affects me taking high amounts of protein powder... But I know I have consumed 200g+ protein from real foods without a problem... I'll make sure the Docs take this Phenylkenetoronics into consideration. Thanks.

I was using that more as an example, and i think Arby was as well.
I highly doubt that is what you have, as it would have manifested itself much earlier in life, and oyu would either be dead or a vegtable by now. Merely saying that there are defects that cause you to be unable to handle certain amino acids and such.

yours may not be a genetic defect, merely low levels of an enzyme. It could be something else aside from amino acids. However, i am willing to bet that other then your protein being poisonous, you have a problem breaking down something that is present in the powder.

2 suggestions.... you said you have eaten lots of meat protein before with no problems. Was it for extended periods of time? Talk to him about this, you may not be out of the game, you may just need to get your protein from beef and chicken and such.
Also, i know its remote, but did you have them check a sample of the protein powder you are taking? Were you taking anything else... ALA,etc.
Was your protein that shit that CEll Tech makes that has "Insulin Stimulators" (ALA) in it?

thanks bro... I have taken r-ala but I stopped weeks before I got sick. I dont think they have a sample of the protein that I used because everything that was handed to them was empty bottles of stuff, but I used Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein....

I think it definitely has something to do with your liver. If your liver function was normal, maybe some supplements you took interfered with your liver function. I remember some chemicals can turn some liver enzymes on, some can do the opposite (don't remember how exactly it works any more, it has been too long since I took the biochem class :)

Glad your okay and this may seem like a weird question.
But when you went into a coma,(not sure how to say this) could you tell time?
Or was it bam asleep and then awake?

Back