Need a little routine help to get my weak self huge!

Bret5089

Ok I've been lifting balls to the walls hard for awhile and I really feel like I'm not seeing the results I should. I am naturally a skinny dude before weight lifting I was 6'2" @ 175lbs. Now I'm at 195lbs but mostly cuz I eat 24/7/365. My routine is this:

Monday: chest and biceps

Flat bench: 5x6 (that's averaging reps 1st set or 2 is lighter)
Incline or decline bench: 4x5 ill switch it up every week
Flat or decline barbell: 4x6 again I switch it up
Dumbbell flys: 2x12

Barbell curls: 4x6
Incline bench curls 4x6
Preacher curl 4x6

Sometimes I'll throw in concentration curls or reg dumbbell curls

Tuesday: legs

Screw the weird machines I'm doing 8 sets of squats 5 reps each and 6 sets of calf raises 10 reps maybe is lazy but I love hitting squats only.

Thursday: triceps and shoulders

Military press: 5x6
Lateral/front raises: 4x7
Arnold dumbbell presses: 4x5
Barbell shrugs: 5x8

Cable pulldowns: 5x6
Skull crushers: 4x6
Ez bar overhead extensions: 3x6

Friday: back

Machine rows: 5x7
Cable lat pulldowns: 4x7
Deadlifts: 7x5 (another money maker lift)

Anyway can some explain why I'm not huge yet? I do swap different exercises in but muscle groups, reps and sets basically stay the same. Thanks for your help guys! I also do hiit training on Sundays and Tuesdays nothing too calorie intensive just 10 25 second sprints.

Why don't u train hamstrings? Your routine is too cookie cutter. You need to mix it up a little bit. I didn't see any standing or sitting delt flys, chins or hamstring exercises in your routine. Basics work.

Last edited:
Well the shrugs r for the traps. Your right tho cookie cutter is a good way to put it... I don't know what to change though other than more legs. I could throw in rear delt stuff on shoulder day. What do u mean mix it up? Greater variety of lifts or the splits?

Both.. there are plenty of variations to do on muscles trained and exercises.. research it a little bit and get some ideas. Not to be rude, but it seems like your just going thru the motions at the gym. Like auto pilot...

Shit no that's not rude I love a solid reality check. I mean when I'm pushing the weights it 100% but for whatever reason I stick to this routine. I'm definitely not a rookie at this shit but when it comes to changing this I come across as one. Thanks for your help.

One thing that has worked for me is swapping from bb's to db's every 2 weeks to a month. Lift heavy on compound movements (bench, deads, squats, overhead clean press) and a rep scheme of 1x10, 1x5, 1x10, 1x5, on accessories for 3 weeks to a month. Swap everything for a pre exhaust type workout. Really condused my muscles the first time. Also, bodyweight exercises like dips, bench dips, pullups, wide and close reverse grip also really help. Hope this helps

Well usually ill have a protein shake with a giant scoop of peanut butter when I wake up and before bed. I put 5.5lbs of chicken 1.5lbs of chick peas (they're loaded with protein) a bunch of potatoes and carrots in a crock pot and ill eat 2 to 4 bowls of that a day at work. I'll have at least 1 protein bar a day. And I'll either make tacos for supper or my roommate will make something. I also have a liter bottle that I refill 3-5 times at work it just depends on the day. The calories from the shakes and bar has to be at least 1600 and protein of about 170gm. One night a week ill eat a whole dijorno pizza too ha not the best but its something.

Tbh, if you want to grow, youll need to fix your diet. I recommend hiting up 3j on here and he'll hook you up and youll start seeing the gains you want

You got a good attitude about everything.. sometimes its difficult to get criticized but u took it on the chin.. props to u. Keep us updated guy-

Really there's not much more I want than to get big so to come here and bitch makes no sense. That'd be getting throwing advice from Payton Manning then tellin him f*ck off.

It's an epidemic.. click the new posts link up top and just read some of them.. they're pretty obvious to spot..

BTW, I know 3j has a place here where you can get free advice. That itself is great. But you have to understand that free is free. So you may not get the answers you want as fast as you need them.
My advice (if you can afford it) is to hire him for a plan. He has different packages. And he is not a lot of money. IMO anyway.
But you will get 1 on 1 training and coaching and this is the best.

I recently signed up and can't wait to get started. The diet part of this is the thing I always have a problem with. Just trying to help Bro.

Back