Need Advice from experienced TRT guys

Bromosexual

I was diagnosed with hypogonadism a few months ago (testosterone level was 140). I was prescribed 200mg Cypionate once per week. I just got my follow-up blood work done after 10 weeks on TRT. I inject on Monday mornings and my blood was drawn on Friday morning. My testosterone level on TRT came back at 1048. My doctor said that was too high and told me to start injecting once every 10 days. My question is should I follow his orders or stay at every 7 days? I feel good, not super human or anything, but much better than before TRT. I know that the safe and easy answer is just to do whatever my doctor says, but I guess I am hoping to hear that my level is still safe and I can stay at it if I want. What do you experts think? I am 38 years old. Thanks!

The safe and easy thing isn't always blindly following advice. It is learning the reasons why and deciding your best course of action.

A couple of things here. First off 200 mg/wk is a lot. For me with every 3.5 days injections plus HCG that puts me at about 1,300 on the morning of the next shot. Without HCG would probably be a few hundred less. So make of that what you will. Doc should not have had any element of surprise at your level, and really for TRT probably shouldn't have started you at that dosage - although many do, with the intent of backing you down after you start to feel better.

Second is injection frequency. Cyp has a half life of 8 days. If you inject every 7 then you will have a bit of a roller coast going on, with higher peaks than you probably want and lower lows. A rule of thumb if you want nice flat blood levels is use half of a half life for frequency. Half of eight is four. To keep it simple I just do twice a week, Tuesday evening and Saturday morning. Now the reason I bring that up is every seven days is borderline ok. Every ten days would not be. It would put you of a worse roller coaster, and your lows might not be very pleasant. If you want to lower that 1048 level, then do it by dosage injected, not by extending days between shots.

If your doc is always going to test you Friday morning, the you could think about injecting Friday night and Tuesday morning. That way you would be tested morning of your next shot, and going to 3.5 days would smooth out your peaks and valleys.

I personally would drop it to 150 mg/wk, and go to 3.5 days between. See how you feel and where that puts you.

I second Tankmanbob.

200mg split into 100mg every 3.5 days had me sitting at 1500ng/dl.

80mg split 40mg every 3.5 days had me at 430s.

All taken the morning of a day I would inject to get my low reading.

More frequent injections is closer to a normal pattern. We release test daily. Endocrinologist told me a man can have 1/2 his morning high as a daily low.

Twice a week test cyp has been very good to me so far.

Tank laid it all out for ya. Your doc is not concerned about your 1048 number, he is concerned about what it must be 2 days after your shot. Probably pretty high. May be able to level this out some with 2 injections per week as suggested above.

If you want to avoid disagreement with your doc then follow his orders and when it comes back lower just explain how much better you felt with the more frequent dosing. Most docs will let you stay at a higher dose if your hematocrit and your blood pressure stay in check.

Good luck bro

I second Tankmanbob.

200mg split into 100mg every 3.5 days had me sitting at 1500ng/dl.

80mg split 40mg every 3.5 days had me at 430s.

All taken the morning of a day I would inject to get my low reading.

More frequent injections is closer to a normal pattern. We release test daily. Endocrinologist told me a man can have 1/2 his morning high as a daily low.

Twice a week test cyp has been very good to me so far.

Wouldn't my 1048 on day 4 put me around 1500 after pinning? Is 1500 a safe everyday level health-wise?

Safe depends on how it affects you. If it causes high hematocrit over time, or high blood pressure, or accelerates male pattern baldness then not so safe.

I personally would be more concerned about estrogen levels than 1,500 testosterone. 200 mg/wk is enough to absolutely make me require an aromatase inhibitor. In fact even just 100 mg/wk plus 2x250 IU HCG per week puts my estrogen in the mid 40's, so I need some AI even at that lower dose.

So to answer your question, you'll need some time under your belt to find out about the hematocrit and blood pressure. You won't know right away. For estrogen, best way to know would be a blood test - and to look for symptoms of high E2 like acne, oily skin, being overly emotional, problems with erections or orgasms.

I would also take HCG to keep your balls idling along. If you don't there can be issues that affect some people.

There is an entire tree of things our bodies convert testosterone into. Mostly we care about estrogen in discussions.

I'm on TRT due to medication side effects. Pre TRT test was about 400 and estrogen top of the range. No erections, desire nothing and my tits hurt.

At 1500 I had double the estrogen range but less estrogen sides. About 4x test levels with 2x estrogen levels. Test/E ratio which I know has effects but know nothing about.

After dropping my dose and having only about 30-50 ng/dl more test than my bad times, but estrogen control, felt better but still lagging . No E sides but low energy/motivation, low libido and slow soft-to-hard times.

Dialing in!!! 1200-1500ng/dL is about the top of "TRT". More than that and it's getting into "cruising".

Great advice above. It takes time to get dialed in. Get your blood work done and stay on top of your hematocrit and your E2. Adjust your dose accordingly and definitely inject every 3.5 days.

I agree with most of the stuff above. 200 per week is the very upper end of normal and will most definitely have your E2 high.

I pin once a week and find it sustainable, but Im sure my levels are a little more wonky than 2x per week.

If I were you, Id stay at 1-2x per week and dial the dose back. I feel great on 100mg pinned 1x per week, and it has me around 8-900 2 days after injection.

Trial and error. Get dialed in. Realize that what other take, may not be necessary for you to look and or feel good.

Thank you for the reply Tankmanbob. Am I risking any health effects on my current dose? I am not experiencing any...

Any bad effects are probably not going to be noticed in the short term, with a dose that moderate.

But the issues would probably be from whatever the long term uncontrolled E2 causes.

My thoughts are, the less drugs the better. So if you can take 100mg of test and be at 750 and have E2 at 25-30 without an AI, why would you fuck with that?

High test isnt usually the problem, its the high estrogen.

Remember this.

The bigger, stronger and or more aesthetic patient, isnt mandatorily the smartest or healthiest.

Sorry for the multiple posts. Just keep thinking of things and dont want to make it unreadable.

Back