Need advice on latest test results - total test "too high"

BigStu81

Hey guys,

I've been on Tostran (Fortesta) gel since June 2016.

I initially started on the standard dose (six pumps) before being dropped down to half of that after three months due to my total test shooting up to 80 nmol/l (2300 ng/dl). This high reading may have been exaggerated by me applying the gel to my biceps over the previous few days, but it was definitely too high a level as my hemocrit had shot up to the very top of the range.

The next test (on half initial dose) showed everything in range and my total test at 21 nmol/l (600 ng/dl).

Three months on (i.e. today) the same dose has resulted in a total test level of 36 nmol/l (1038 ng/dl) which I'm told is too high - the top of their scale is 27 nmol/l (780 ng/dl). My local NHS surgery run my bloods and forward them to my private doc (who makes the decisions), so I likely have a few days to get prepared until he calls me.

I understand that 1038 ng/dl is still within the natural range (although admittedly high). As I feel great and all my other bloods are in range, I personally am not alarmed. However, I know that isn't how this all works. My private doc has previously commented when my level was around 2300 ng/dl that he wanted it below 30 nmol/l (865 nmol/l).

I actually think I've likely been around this level for six months now. The day before my last test (i.e. not most recent one) I only applied two of my three daily squirts. The reason for this was that (due to an unexpected work emergency) I wasn't able to apply the gel in the morning as usual. I was a bit worried about having my full daily dose in the evening so much closer to my morning dose with a test due the next day. However, literally every other day I had applied my usual dose first thing in the morn. I've also given blood twice now which may be helping to keep my RBC etc in range.

My questions:

• Is 1038 ng/dl a level which most TRT docs would be happy with? I know loads of people keep themselves around 1000 ng/dl, but not sure if this is via self-administering.
  • Could this huge increase have been caused by my recent habit of applying lotion an hour after? Or is it much more likely to be down to only applying 2/3 of my dose the day before the previous test (i.e. making that one read much lower).
  • What should I do?

Last edited:
You should avoid applying the gel near where they take blood. It is possible some of the gel contaminated the site of the withdraw. I'm assuming they drew from your inner elbow, which is pretty close to the bicep.

Just a possibility.

Yeah, I defo made that mistake the first time. However, the past two times I've been very careful not to.

I think that the difference between last two tests is likely from applying lotion (I'm sure it helps absorption as can feel a tingle/mild burn) and also from applying the gel a bit earlier on second day so had more time to reach bloodstream.

I'm thinking it's unlikely my doc will be happy for me to cruise at just over 1000 ng/dl.

No opinions?

I'm wondering if it's possible that I'm a hyper responder or maybe have super absorbent skin. it seems odd that half the starting dose of gel puts me over 1000 ng/dl. I'm not even on Testim which is apparently the most absorbant, just on Tostran which doesn't seem to get as good reviews.

No opinions?

I'm wondering if it's possible that I'm a hyper responder or maybe have super absorbent skin. it seems odd that half the starting dose of gel puts me over 1000 ng/dl. I'm not even on Testim which is apparently the most absorbant, just on Tostran which doesn't seem to get as good reviews.
Don't think we are all ignoring you, it's just that those gels aren't real popular around here. Seems like guys that are on for long enough always end up switching to injections.

Don't think we are all ignoring you, it's just that those gels aren't real popular around here. Seems like guys that are on for long enough always end up switching to injections.

This...and you lost me with all you said and all the numbers. I can't even figure out what the point of your Q's

The Gels aren't used much around people cycling.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to come across flippant. I tried to be as detailed as possible but maybe was a bit much info.

My question is more around managing my doc's expectations etc. Whether most TRT docs will raise an eyebrow at a blood result over 1000 ng/dl and whether i need to be ready to fight my corner? I'm pretty new to this but I know there are guys on here with years of experience of fighting to get the treatment they want.

For example, I'm wondering whether these inconsistent results could be an argument to go onto shots to get a more consistent level?

You just answered your own question! That's a perfect argument for why you should be on shots. It's much easier to maintain your levels and to get the right dose. Advocate with the doctor for shots and will be much happier in the long run.

Cheers man, I think that may be the future.

I've responded very well to the gels, with levels higher than a lot of people on shots but I'd rather be able to just pin and forget. I hate having to keep my t shirt on in the sack, and it was a real pain when I went camping a while back having to religiously shower and apply gel each morn.

Yea good enough reason to move to injections right there. "Having to keep your shirt on in the sack" fuck that I sleep buck ass naked every night that's the most comfortable for sure....tell you doc your girl wants that skin to skin contact.

Yeah fuck that gels are bullshit and implants are for cattle injection is the best way or evrey body builder would use the gel instead of jabbing ed or eod

Back