New guy with a faulty routine?

TurboFirez

Hey everyone, My good friend Max just referred me to here since i've finally got my s*** together n' started working out, but it seems like i'm making too much progress in some areas(change of 60lbs in pull downs in 2 weeks), and not enough in others (5lbs from curling), but also because i'm not sure what else i can do currently with what i have..

To break it all down.. For now my most insecure places were Biceps / Triceps / Shoulders / Abs / Chest, in that order.. and figure'd i'd get started there and once i felt i was more comfortable with my own look / feel, then i'd begin my legs again (Used to run track / cross country so legs are just fine for now, need to work the upper body n' get a balanced body - as i was told..)

And since my membership to my gym expired, i decided to do everything i can until what i all have in my basement is of no use. Have access to a machine with a good amount of available workouts, but some just don't feel right, Granted free weights will always be the better choice on most workouts, unable to get to a gym everyday to workout (since it's half n' hour away), As well there's a curl / bench bar, and just concrete weights ranging from 10-15lbs in several numbers w/ clips of course.. No dumbells (Which bugs me most..)

Either way I pretty much switch my routine everyday, n' take sunday off on the week for rest.. (My old workout partner was a personal fitness trainer n' this is what he had me doin, with others at the gym, but now i'm at home n' it's a bit different..)

For a 5'11 158lbs 19 year old... This is my current workout (Sucks, i know heh)

(The following is just what i've been taught, granted it might not all be correct with names and possibly missing a workout, but think i covered em' all, but that's why i'm here to ask for help)

Monday / Wednsday / Friday (Chest / Tri's / Abs)
Pull Downs @ 4 sets + burnout
Butterfly's @ 4 sets + burnout
Flat bench @ 3 sets
Inclined Bench @ 3 sets
Declined Bench @ 3 sets
Dumbell lifts (behind the head) @ 4 sets - cept i use just a 15 lb weight
Arm Extensions w/ dumbell? (not sure they're called that) @ 3 sets
Situps @ 3 sets to max holding 15lb weight
Pushups @ 3 sets to max
1 set of Dips (Still getting used to them, and don't have assist machine)

Tuesday / Thursday / Saturday (Back / Bi's / Abs again)
Free Weight Curls @ 3 sets
Machine Curls (They suck) @ 4 sets
Pulldowns (behind the head) @ 3 sets

-Need more ideas here?-

Situps @ 3 sets to max holding 15lb weight
Side crunchers w/ weight @ 3 sets
--------------------------------------
Along with this Everyday i do take creatine before my workout, though my workout downstairs only seem to last 1 - 1 1/2 hours, versus the avg 3 hours i spent in a gym (Granted i had access to more)

Also have 1 protein shake (Soon to change to 2) per day
As well a Glutamine Supplement shake after workout

Basically asking any suggestions / new ideas to work the given muscles i'm after until i feel i'd be of better use in a gym, granted i'm still not lifting sick heavy weights..

IM me on AIM @: XxGrethxX - if you wanna chat bout it.. post back here .. or email me, any suggestions would be great.. as my aim is hopefully to be 12 lbs heavier n' a good deal stronger / better looking in 6 months, was told it should easily possible.. but, i'm no pro =\ heh

All the help is greatly appreciated.

firstly welcome to the board!!
there are heaps of different ways of responding to this, so you are gonna have to sort out what works best for you.
read as many posts on this board as you can( particularly in this forum) in regards to how you should train.
It looks to me like you are doing way to much on your chest /tri day. also pull downs should be with your back muscle group.
if you are keen to workout 6 times a week, I would do a 3 day split and then repeat it
day 1 chest /tri/calves
day 2 back/ bis/hamstring
day off
day 3 quads/shoulders
repeat

IMO you should still train legs

hehe, That's a hard decision, I have an extremely high amount of energy, takes a lot to really put me out, an old 4 hour day at the gym was barely enough to finally make me say "Okay i'm done for the day.." But since i'm using a machine (dumbest thing possible in my own opinions).. somedays the workouts can keep me sore until the following day, sometimes the soreness goes away instantly.. can never tell when i've had a good workout n' suppose i should even learn a more "real" definition of that..

If i was to judge my physique i'd almost consider myself the opposite of the chicken leg syndrome, i've pretty large toned legs, versus the "smaller" upper body, n' that's what i'm working on, gaining weight is pretty tough, progressing seems mediocre, but actually seeing differences, hardest thing alive ;p

Not to mention i'd definatly need to learn other workouts since when i used to go to the gym there was only one i actually worked out my legs for a day, n' then did cardio n' seeing what i could do with legs versus upper body, felt like i should just keep running n' keeping legs going whilst doing a bit of catchup with the upper body.

As always, any suggestions / help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

welcome to 'ology..

you need to squat period..its good for growth all over..
take a look at the stickies above..theres a routine by pulling big id recommend that or 5x5

Back