New Years Rant

Solid Snake

Getting Big the Ology Way
Im sure there have been many threads over the years about guys ranting about how much they hate the "New Years crowd". It happens at every gym Ive been to and Im sure it happens to most gyms across the country. Im all for people wanting to be fit and get into better shape but why do they all need to try to do it at the same time. I know the whole resolution thing but lets be honest, if it takes a new year to get into shape you are probably going to fail...which is why the gym clears out again by March.

The parking lot at my gym was completely full yesterday and most of the people there were just sitting around chit chatting the whole fn time. These 4 kids spent about 45 minutes on the bench press and once they were done with that they were trying to rush me off the incline. Another old guy thought it was a great idea to stand and talk to another older fellow right next to me while i was trying to do db bench...he moved when I almost hit him with the dumbbell. I dont like to be an asshole at the gym but some people need to learn a little weight room courtesy, even if they only show up for 2 months of the year.

Fortunately these go getters dont have enough drive to go in the mornings so its still relatively quiet when I workout at 7am...weekends and evenings are near impossible to get anything done in a timely manner though.

Anyway, thats my rant. Im done.

People like Mr. P feel guilty for eating bad shit over Christmas break and therefore are taking up space in the gym when it's over!

But yeah, fortunately I'm from a small town and the gym I go to doesn't have a ton of members anyway. So on it's busiest day it's not too bad.

The only thing that bothers me are those high schoolers who just yell and grunt and disrespect equipment. Doing pull-ups on things not mean to do pullups on. And just standing in front of the mirror staring at themselves constantly while on cell phones.

REALLY!? Get offthafuckinphone or at least move out of the damn way and/or get off the machine I want to use while you're texting. There is a resting area near the entrance that has chairs.

People like Mr. P feel guilty for eating bad shit over Christmas break and therefore are taking up space in the gym when it's over!

Have you ever seen pics posted of some of the dishes Mrs P prepares? If I had a wife that knew how to cook like that I probably wouldn't fit through the front door :beertoast

It's amazing the man has defined and visible abs!

As for the new years crowd. I love them! The gyms don't make money off of people like us. We come in very often and wear down the equipment. The new years people come in for a week or two and then continue to pay for a year or two without ever coming. This subsidizes our membership fees! They say that half of a gyms revenue comes from the new years resolution crowd.

I for one hope they stick to it! I will help them in any way that I can. What is better than people trying to change their lives if you really think about it. I encourage them!

Have you ever seen pics posted of some of the dishes Mrs P prepares? If I had a wife that knew how to cook like that I probably wouldn't fit through the front door :beertoast

It's amazing the man has defined and visible abs!

As for the new years crowd. I love them! The gyms don't make money off of people like us. We come in very often and wear down the equipment. The new years people come in for a week or two and then continue to pay for a year or two without ever coming. This subsidizes our membership fees! They say that half of a gyms revenue comes from the new years resolution crowd.

I for one hope they stick to it! I will help them in any way that I can. What is better than people trying to change their lives if you really think about it. I encourage them!

I would love for them to become "usuals" but unfortunately that is not the case for most. Like I said before, Im all about people wanting to get healthy, I just get annoyed with the half-assers sometimes. As long as I stick to lifting in the mornings I think I will bypass most of it though.

And you are right, its great for the gym, especially my gym that charges a $15 equipement fee twice a year...it just blows for the members who take lifting serious and have to deal with some of the nonsense and overcrowding that comes in with these new members.

It used to be that the hardcore gyms wouldn't have the new years people. The new years crowd went to the fitness centers and the die hards stayed in the hardcore gyms. I can't find a hardcore gym within 300 miles of where I live now. Most have died out :(

When I first started working out in the late 70's I joined a hole in the wall! There was some serious training going on in that little gym. The trash can in the locker room was loaded with uses syringes lol Damn I wish I could find a place like that now. I was just a teen back then but the memory and the guys I met really put me on the right path! Being the youngest kid in the gym I became a pet of sorts to some of the juice monsters. They would force rep me and tell me what to eat. I never trained that hard in any other place. They said I had to be in there 2 years training balls to the wall before they would hook me up with any gear and that is exactly how it played out.

Get an old man thinking and he goes way off topic!!!! sorry

Last edited:
It used to be that the hardcore gyms wouldn't have the new years people. The new years crowd went to the fitness centers and the die hards stayed in the hardcore gyms. I can't find a hardcore gym within 300 miles of where I live now. Most have died out :(

When I first started working out in the late 70's I joined a hole in the wall! There was some serious training going on in that little gym. The trash can in the locker room was loaded with uses syringes lol Damn I wish I could find a place like that now. I was just a teen back then but the memory and the guys I met really put me on the right path! Being the youngest kid in the gym I became a pet of sorts to some of the juice monsters. They would force rep me and tell me what to eat. I never trained that hard in any other place. They said I had to be in there 2 years training balls to the wall before they would hook me up with any gear and that is exactly how it played out.

Get an old man thinking and he goes way off topic!!!! sorry

the first gym i went to right out of college was kind of like that...minus the needles. I have no doubt these guys were using though...I actually got my test from a guy I met there. Some really intense guys. Anyway, there was nothing fancy about that place and thats what I liked about it. Its because of these guys people didnt flock to it when the new year came around. Im yet to find a place like that since...it's slim pickins in Nebraska.

My new years resolution is to pick something I once deemed impossible and do it.

Its already been an amazing year in only the first few days and I have a feeling it will keep up.

But I agree about the gym, although I myself will look like a New Years resolutionist when I get in there. Rehabbing my back is not fun, especially doing it with no real help lol.

My new years resolution is to pick something I once deemed impossible and do it.

Its already been an amazing year in only the first few days and I have a feeling it will keep up.

But I agree about the gym, although I myself will look like a New Years resolutionist when I get in there. Rehabbing my back is not fun, especially doing it with no real help lol.

I will help you.

I will provide the table and massage oil.

You provide your back.

Back