Noob to homebrewing needs HELP

aussieraven

Hi everyone!

Okay so I got my hands on some raw powder (20g test-p, 40g NPP, 3grams of masteron-prop) now I'm not trying to make a blend, simply making each of them in 20ml or 10ml vials.

Been reading a lot about homebrewing and so many conflicting things about the supplies I need for all this!

QUESTIONS:
1- If I buy unsterile vials, I would need to wash them in hot soapy water, rinse in hot almost boiling water, rinse in distelled water (temperature doesnt matter?), rinse in alcohol, bake vials by placing them in a pan and into an oven at 350f degrees for 30minuntes (preheated oven??).Vials will stay upside down until they are ready to be filtered with the gear.

Sterile vials of course would come with the rubber stopper so I would only need to purchase
2- a CRIMPER for say FLIP top caps (20mm?) and also I would need flip top cap obviously (20mm).Is a decrimper necessary at all for homebrewing?

3- Should I buy a thermometer to place it in oven to check the degree and as well as when mixing BA/BB/Oil/Powder to check the temp and also stirring using it?
4-Are heat pads required or should I use something like a slow cooker (which could be used in-place of that oven in question 1, correct?)
5- Obviously I would need a good scale, 0.1g vs 0.01g is a huge price jump where I live but if you say 0.01 that's what I will get.
6-What kind of filteration is the EASIEST to use? what exactly is syringe filtering what do I need for this?Just a beaker+?
7-Would it be much better to get a "complete" filteration set like some website around the net,would I need to add anything else to it?
8- Do funnels come into play in any of the homebrewing steps?
9-Are pipettes used for anything in this process to make it easier? (also wtf are they lol) I see little mention of these

Say for example I get sterile vials 10m/20m/100m+2 beakers+slow cooker+syringe filter+syringes and needles (already got these) +crimper for flip top caps and the caps as well+thermometer + sterile oils (yes I know you can filter these I want to make it easier for myself but any advice is more than welcomed! please!) WOULD that be all I need?Would it be THAT much harder than say (what is an easier way that would take less time?from everything I've read about syringe filters is that it can take 45minutes~1 1/2 hours to filter the gear)

Thanks for reading! might have more questions to come for all these vets I want to know what I'm purchasing before anything, and I don't want regrets.Act as if price was not a big issue but if you say the cheaper route is better I'll also go with it.

Okay after researching for like the past 20 hours straight (I'm on scholarship, no work but I get paid anyway :p )

according to this Injectables - GQ LABS
I will need the following -

1-BA/BB/Oil/Powder (duh these are the essentials for MOST recipes)
2-Syringes, I'll have/already have between 1ml----->100ml
3-Needles
4-Vials, if unsterile I will sterilize them
5-Scale
6-Sterile gloves
7-Glass beaker (can be replaced with pyrex I think??anyone wants to chime in)
8-Glass stirrer (can I use a thermometer here?I'll get a stirrer anyway)
9-Thermometer
10-Alcohol wipes, got lots
11-Brake bleeder pump (whats a really good brand/pump that wouldn't make things break?)
11-Whatman filter or the like with 45mm filling (are paper filters required here?been reading 0.2 is much more sterile than 0.4)
12-Media bottle with 45mm mouth for obvious reasons (filter)
13-cap for media bottle with septa (what's a septa?)

1- If I buy unsterile vials, I would need to wash them in hot soapy water, rinse in hot almost boiling water, rinse in distelled water (temperature doesnt matter?), rinse in alcohol, bake vials by placing them in a pan and into an oven at 350f degrees for 30minuntes (preheated oven??).vials will stay upside down until they are ready to be filtered with the gear.

If you want to be extra clean, sure.

Sterile vials of course would come with the rubber stopper so I would only need to purchase
2- a CRIMPER for say FLIP top caps (20mm?) and also I would need flip top cap obviously (20mm).Is a decrimper necessary at all for homebrewing?

Personal choice, really. If you want to get fancy, then I suppose crimper. If you want to keep it simple and practical, then flip top caps.

3- Should I buy a thermometer to place it in oven to check the degree and as well as when mixing BA/BB/Oil/Powder to check the temp and also stirring using it?

Again, personal choice.

4-Are heat pads required or should I use something like a slow cooker (which could be used in-place of that oven in question 1, correct?)

Personal choice.

5- Obviously I would need a good scale, 0.1g vs 0.01g is a huge price jump where I live but if you say 0.01 that's what I will get.

A 0.1g scale is good enough, because when you're measuring the ingredients, it will be in grams, so a 0.1g scale should get the job done.

6-What kind of filteration is the EASIEST to use? what exactly is syringe filtering what do I need for this?Just a beaker+?

Easiest is syringe filter. You need a syringe and a filter (.4 or .2 micron). Google "syringe filter" for more details.

7-Would it be much better to get a "complete" filteration set like some website around the net,would I need to add anything else to it?

Personal choice.

Funnels are cheap and can come in handy, but I think you can go without them.

9-Are pipettes used for anything in this process to make it easier? (also wtf are they lol) I see little mention of these

They're a device that is used to draw in and dispense liquid.

PIPETTE,%20GRADUATED.jpg

A syringe and needle can be used to dispense liquid instead of a pipettes.

1-BA/BB/Oil/Powder (duh these are the essentials for MOST recipes)

I have never used BA/BB, because they cause post injection pain (based on experience as well as from research articles).

8-Glass stirrer (can I use a thermometer here?I'll get a stirrer anyway)

I remember from chem class that thermometer shouldn't be used as a stirring rod, because they can break, and you don't want mercury leaking out...

10-Alcohol wipes, got lots

I'd buy a bottle or two of rubbing alcohol as well.

11-Whatman filter or the like with 45mm filling (are paper filters required here?been reading 0.2 is much more sterile than 0.4)

Coffee filters (paper or mesh) are good for the first filtration to remove large particles (lints) before you use the sterile filter.

I would recommend mesh filters over paper filters, because you might get lints that can come off of paper filters.
coava-kone-coffee-filter+maker4.jpg

I have never used BA/BB, because they cause post injection pain (based on experience as well as from research articles).

I remember from chem class that thermometer shouldn't be used as a stirring rod, because they can break, and you don't want mercury leaking out...

I'd buy a bottle or two of rubbing alcohol as well.

Coffee filters (paper or mesh) are good for the first filtration to remove large particles (lints) before you use the sterile filter.

I would recommend mesh filters over paper filters, because you might get lints that can come off of paper filters.
coava-kone-coffee-filter+maker4.jpg

After doing very extensive research I came out with the same info found here!

I assume since you dont use ba/bb you're purely using EO+other Oil for all your homebrew?Or are you running on plain TNE+orals?
I know EO can act as a solvent but ba seems to be what keeps things all sterile and nifty, with a price.

Hi everyone!

Okay so I got my hands on some raw powder (20g test-p, 40g NPP, 3grams of masteron-prop) now I'm not trying to make a blend, simply making each of them in 20ml or 10ml vials.

Been reading a lot about homebrewing and so many conflicting things about the supplies I need for all this!

QUESTIONS:
1- If I buy unsterile vials, I would need to wash them in hot soapy water, rinse in hot almost boiling water, rinse in distelled water (temperature doesnt matter?), rinse in alcohol, bake vials by placing them in a pan and into an oven at 350f degrees for 30minuntes (preheated oven??).Vials will stay upside down until they are ready to be filtered with the gear.

Say for example I get sterile vials 10m/20m/100m+2 beakers+slow cooker+syringe filter+syringes and needles (already got these) +crimper for flip top caps and the caps as well+thermometer + sterile oils (yes I know you can filter these I want to make it easier for myself but any advice is more than welcomed! please!) WOULD that be all I need?Would it be THAT much harder than say (what is an easier way that would take less time?from everything I've read about syringe filters is that it can take 45minutes~1 1/2 hours to filter the gear)

Thanks for reading! might have more questions to come for all these vets I want to know what I'm purchasing before anything, and I don't want regrets.Act as if price was not a big issue but if you say the cheaper route is better I'll also go with it.
{

If u buy sterile vials there is no need for crimpers and if thats all you're ever going to brew I would strongly suggest u get the sterile ones. As far as filtering again if thats all you're doing, go with the sterile syringe filters. Theres a lot more for u to learn brother. Keep reading as u always pick something up here and there. Its like a puzzle, u put this piece u got from here and u put it there, then lil by lil the whole pic comes together. As far as syringe filters, it takes long when u use a lot of oils, just cz of the viscosity. When u use just eo and other solvents it goes really easy. I hope that helps a lil
BTW a silicone septa acts like a stopper on a vial it just goes on a media bottle cap, which if ur using a syringe filter u wont need to concern yourself with

Last edited:
Alright so visiting medical lab supplies I'm wondering if I should be getting the 500ml filters+500ml pyrex bottles (45mm neck size, I'll buy the 45mm bottle top+sillicon septa disposable) or if I should get something like the Nalgene MF75 (which I read sucks) and use the wheaton glass bottles with septa.2nd method is cheaper but I don't want the filter to leak on me or anything.Considering the ridiculous shipping price for anything here I want to get all my supplies in one go.

So Nalgene MF75+standard glass bottles (250~500ml making small batches)
or the Klari-flex (not sure about neck size?) or even the 500ml Millipore Steritop BTF - Durapore PVDF that would fit a 250~500ml Hybrex bottle (or I suppose I can use a 1000ml wheaton glass bottle, but I would need the septa sillicon 33m or bottle top 45mm+disposable septa 45m for this one?)

I understand the whole process now it's just the whole filtering thing and "storing" the gear in a media bottle and filling vials as I go.I'd rather store it in a sterile media bottle than store it in 100 sterile vials taking up a shit load of space it's for personal use anyway but the minimum order for these hormone powders is huge and nothing I can do about it.

Example http://www.anasci.org/vB/attachment...1337722247-basic-filtration-items-filter1.jpg
http://www.anasci.org/vB/attachment...1337723982-basic-filtration-items-filter2.jpg

does not say anything about 1000ml neck sizes or 2000ml.

Cliffs~

What filter would you recommend+glass bottle+way of sealing keeping it sterile
Should I even be using the glass bottle to store the raw hormone powders? (will be sterilizing it and the seal as well as autoclaving)
Or should I get the crappy filter+tons of 250ml wheaton bottles making very small batches as I go (would rather not)

I assume since you dont use ba/bb you're purely using EO+other Oil for all your homebrew?

I just use grapeseed oil. Works fine without ba/bb, and is pain free because of it. Doesn't crash (crystallize) either.

I know EO can act as a solvent but ba seems to be what keeps things all sterile and nifty, with a price.

If in doubt, you can test it out by making a small 5-10 ml sample, and use the typical ba concentration used by other members (if I remember correctly 1-2%). Then, try it and see if you can tolerate it.

Alright so visiting medical lab supplies I'm wondering if I should be getting the 500ml filters+500ml pyrex bottles (45mm neck size, I'll buy the 45mm bottle top+sillicon septa disposable) or if I should get something like the Nalgene MF75 (which I read sucks) and use the wheaton glass bottles with septa

I don't have any experience with these type of filters, so hopefully, some other members can help you out with this question.

I understand the whole process now it's just the whole filtering thing and "storing" the gear in a media bottle and filling vials as I go.I'd rather store it in a sterile media bottle than store it in 100 sterile vials taking up a shit load of space

Media bottles are practical and convenient. Just be sure to get the ones that are shorter and have a larger neck, because it will be easier to draw out the oil.

Media%20Bottle.jpg

As to vials, I found the 40ml+ vials to be more practical and convenient than those 10ml ones.

From my experience, I found jars (around 100ml) to be the most practical and simplest to use, because it's very easy to mix and remix the content, reheat, draw out oil for each use, etc.

ss4w.jpg

Last edited:
Back