Normal total test/ High SHBG

Hunter32

Wondering if I could have some input from someone with a similar situation.

Im 30, 195 lbs, overall in good shape. A few months back I started having bad low test symptoms that gradually intensified: no sex drive, weak erections, trouble concentrating, loss of strength and motivation in the gym, fatigue all the time. I'm normally very healthy and don't even have a primary Dr. I got an appointment and discussed the symptoms, he ordered blood work. Test came back at 479 (I was unaware at this time to ask for other hormone tests), thyroid, blood, liver, etc was all fine. I asked the Dr for more labs, however he said I was fine and it wasn't necessary and wrote me a script for Wellbutrin (wtf?) I'm not taking it, as I'm certain this is not an issue of depression.

Didn't figure I'd get get anywhere with him so I tried another Dr. My total test came back once again in the normal range at 560, however my SHBG came in at 57.3 and was above the reference range. He explains that this was resulting in a very low free test level and is why I'm feeling these symptoms. He said there's really no way to adjust SHBG and to get to feeling better he recommended TRT. However, he wanted to rule out everything and told me to try a natural supplement before more blood work in 4 weeks. If there's no significant change (which he said he's pretty sure there won't be) then he said it's a strong possibility I could get a TRT script. He said the next appointment, I'll have blood work for a more comprehensive hormone panel.

Last edited:
TRT could help here because higher test level should low SHBG, but ... you may be insulin or/and androgen resist person thats why you have so high SHBG level check this out. Before TRT maybe first try to eat saw palmetto, tribulus and D.A.A, first two wont give great resoults but D.A.A should rise your test level and rise E2 and prolactin level. Also check your liver ( aspat, alat, cholesterol ldl hdl ) because all hormones must go thru liver. And most important thing to you take any kind of happy pills ?? or smoke weed ??

TRT could help here because higher test level should low SHBG, but ... you may be insulin or/and androgen resist person thats why you have so high SHBG level check this out. Before TRT maybe first try to eat saw palmetto, tribulus and D.A.A, first two wont give great resoults but D.A.A should rise your test level and rise E2 and prolactin level. Also check your liver ( aspat, alat, cholesterol ldl hdl ) because all hormones must go thru liver. And most important thing to you take any kind of happy pills ?? or smoke weed ??

What does it mean to be insulin or androgen resistant? My liver labs and cholesterol were all fine. I do not currently use drugs, but I did smoke weed almost daily for several years, along with occasional use of other recreational drugs. I have not used weed or any other drug for close to four years though.

My liver and cholesterol levels were all good. I used to smoke weed daily for years but haven't done weed or any other recreational drug in about four years

Got my second set of labs back. Here's all that was checked.

Total test- 482
SHBG- 51.7 (in range but still sky high)
LH- 5.1

Test was down a little, but so was SHBG, so my free test is about the same. I meet with the Dr in 2 weeks. What are your thoughts?

I agree with the doc, and you need injections not creams because creams will not solve your problem.

Thanks for the response. Do you feel there are risks involved with starting trt at my age? Are there many of your own clients on trt at age 30 or less?

and doc is wrong about alternative ways to lower shbg. Do a google search and you will find it with studies to back it up. Remember doc does benefit if you choose to use injections because he will have you by the balls

Thanks for the response. Do you feel there are risks involved with starting trt at my age? Are there many of your own clients on trt at age 30 or less?

Yea we have plenty 30 years old and even a little younger and some really young. Hypogonadism doesn't always come from aging, it can be genetic or caused by another chronic illness, heck I even remember a guy that crashed a crotch rocket and he smashed one of his testicles and that gave him low t. There could be a million reasons.

There is nothing wrong with TRT forever, as long as you keep it within physiological range. There is also nothing wrong with a trial run of TRT. Testosterone is not permanently suppressive, unless you use it for years and years, abuse. Even then its debatable.

So if your hesitant my advice is double check, if so do a 6-8 month trial run and see if it alleviates your symptoms. Then make a decision.

If it doesn't make you feel better its all for nothing, but if thats the problem it probably will.

Back