Not drinking alcohol and how you do it?

its hard when all your friends do it since it becomes a habit after a while. Choosing a new group of friends, maybe a group at the gym that does not drink also, or start a local FB group "Bodybuilders against Booze!" your bound to get local people to join up who have the same goals in mind as you do. When its all said and done your body is going to thank you and give you a better quality of life long after those muscles have faded away.

It's fun, it relaxes me, I enjoy the taste. Those are positive. The negative is the hangover if I have one, which is actually rare. The other is a lack of motivation the next day, which used to be a determining factor as to whether I would drink. If I had a long work day, saying not to alcohol was never an issue.

However, when at business lunches/dinners, there's still an expectation to drink. A part of me still wants to. Still, I've gone this far without alcohol, let's see how much farther I can go.

Alcohol is severely overrated in my humble opinion. When I was a teen I drank almost daily, especially during the summer. When I joined the Marines it was ritualistic... drink, drink, drink, run PT, go to work, get off and drink all while being in shape. I just up and quit one day because when I drank I was more likely to venture outside of my marriage, clubs didn't help either. I avoid both because I know me and what I'm capable of. Think super man whore times 200. Think my last outing to a club and drinking like there was no tomorrow was in 2004. I had a lot of sex in 2004...lots of reckless stick my pole in everybody's everything at the drop of a dime type of sex. I should have to be force fed penicillin by IV type of stuff. Lots of dudes should divorce their wives because of me. Also once I started PH's back in the day it reaffirmed my zero tolerance. AAS use definitely made me wanna protect my liver as much as possible since I do have to take pain meds occasionally for previous injuries. Dang... I am (was) such an A-hole. lucky to still be with my wife.

Last edited:
I'm a regular drinker but because I stretch, workout, drink plenty of water, eat healthy, and work hard at my job I justify my drinking. Oh and when the docs do labs I ask them to look at my liver and kidney functions and I tell them how much I drink. I also have no stomach problems. No tums, or pepto. I only get a hangover if I make myself stay up late for some stupid reason. However I may be starting my first cycle and will absolutely abstain form alcohol (and coffee do to it suppressing appetite). I have stopped drinking in the past for weeks at a time for no substantial reason. The only problem I have when I stop drinking is the sudden sugar cravings. Anyway, I wish you luck Synon.

After thinking about this a lot, I would have to go with the "take the drink to honor the client but drink it very slowly, small sips" approach. Now that you have cut back a lot, it will be far easier to do this. At the start, it would have been an epic fail, but I think you may be able to do it at this point.

I do feel for you, Japanese culture does equate drinking with trust. It reminds me of the sharing of bread and salt in the Middle East, it shows trust and honor - and once the bread and salt are shared you are under the protection of the host and they will not allow any harm to come to you while you are in their home / place of business. You really cannot just abstain from doing it.

Back