Not sure where to go from here

kmarcetjr

Well here is my story.
Two months ago I saw my Dr (primary care) for my annnual checkup, he ordered some blood work as usual, but doesn't normally check for low t, even though most of the patients I see in his waiting room might be suffering from low t just from their age. Anyway he said all my bloods were fine and I am very healthy for my age, just take levrothyroxine for my hypothyroidism, been taking it for about 5 years now. So I said well why am I so worn out all the time? No sex drive? Fatigue? Seriously I feel like I need a nap 3 hours after I wake up from a normal nights sleep. I had in the back of my mind suspected low t, knowing some of the symptoms. So he agreed to check my testosterone levels. Two weeks later I went back for a follow up visit. I have good total t 685, low free t 49.0 and high shbg levels 70. So thats why I have low t symptoms. No obvious reason for the high shbg levels. My thyroid meds are right on the money, I haven't had a drink of alcohol in 3 months, I only drink 2 cups of coffee a day, no other sources of caffiene or other stimulants. So my Dr gave me a referal for an endocronologist. When I got to see her two week later, she said I am suffering from all the classic symptoms of low t from the high shbg levels. She said I am a candidate for TRT, but wants me to try some OTC supps and lifestyle changes first. She gave me a few supps to try, vitamin d, zinc and stinging nettle root. I'm due back to see her in a few months. I did a little more research and found some more supps that might help, or might do nothing at all. So here is what I am taking:
vitamin d, zinc, boron, magnesium, stinging nettle root, horny goat weed, tongkat ali, ashwaganhda root, ginseng, tribulus and fenugreek.

So know I've been taking all this stuff for a little over a month and I feel a little better, man parts seem to be working a little better, morning erections 2 or 3 days a week, more ejaculate matter, not feeling as fatigued as I was more muscle strength, not so run down all the time. But the supps are a little on the expensive side, about $90 per month from online store. I'm about 2 weeks away from ordering some blood tests to see where I stand, if the supps and diet changes have made any difference. I'm tired of all the supps though, all those tablets and capsules, even splitting them up morning and night is a hassle. Honestly at this point I might just do self administered TRT, Start injecting 200mg of test e every week to get my t levels nice and high and drive down the shbg levels, get blood work done in 3 months and see where I stand.

Thoughts?

I think you are out of your mind thinking of self administering TRT with a 685 total. Do your homework. How old are you? What is your workout regimen?

The supplements can be expensive, but they can help. Proper diet and exercise will fix all your issues without TRT.

Sorry if i'm harsh, but I would NOT try TRT just because your SHBG is high.

I think you are out of your mind thinking of self administering TRT with a 685 total. Do your homework. How old are you? What is your workout regimen?

The supplements can be expensive, but they can help. Proper diet and exercise will fix all your issues without TRT.

Sorry if i'm harsh, but I would NOT try TRT just because your SHBG is high.

I am kind of hoping that someone talks me out of trt.
I'm 44 y/o, I go to the gym 5 days a week, lifting every day rotating workouts, legs, arms, back, and abs, the fifth day I just do an hour or so of cardio.
Honestly before I saw my endo, my diet was bad, I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. Since I saw my endo it's much better now, I cut out almost all sugar and simple carbs, I'm eating much more protein and healthy fats now, I'm trying to eat fish 2-3 times a week, chicken most other times and beef once a week.

Back