Pictures + Need Advice (bicep peak and abs)

18-1

What's up guys,

I weigh just shy of 230 and am 5'11. I feel like my bicep peak is nearly non existent. My arms measure in at 18'. I am content with where my triceps are at, but certainly not my biceps. While training, I certainly focus on the pump and hypertrophic style training with high reps and drop sets; I am not in this for strength. My arm routine (ignoring tricep training) typically consists of alternating dumbbell curls, preacher curls, and incline dumbbell curls, followed by preacher curls to get whatever I can out of my biceps before calling it a day. Rep range is 12,10, and 8+ with a drop set following my last set on every exercise I do. What can I do better to increase peak? Is it a matter of being more cut than I currently am?

I was also speaking with a guy that was bigger/more cut than myself at the gym (strong broscience). He was explaining to me that working out abs is not necessary when training for bodybuilding. He expounded, as a matter of fact, that working out core increases one's midsection size and detracts from the coveted V taper. Is this true? If what he says is true, I, luckily, have barely worked out my abs/core alone (ignoring the core workout one secures from working out the other areas of one's body).

I am certainly not a bodybuilder, but I want to look like one! Not incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to fitness training, but would greatly appreciate any input that can be offered my way.

View attachment 563879View attachment 563880

Last edited:
A biceps peak, among many other desirable things comes largely down to genetics. You stated that triceps development is satisfactory, but many don't realize that arm size is determined mostly by the triceps. Don't neglect them in your pursuit! ;)

Ab work is so controversial. I used to train them so hard, and ended up with very large and blocky muscles. I stopped training them, and have asked others that do compete - some of which state that they feel they're important, others agree with my findings.

I think (opinion) that working abs outside compound movements will be able to see them at higher body fat percentages, but when in a low body fat percentage, they may have a larger appearance - diminishing from the overall look desired.

My .02c :)

View attachment 563882View attachment 563883

They look decent enough in a shirt (obviously always a work in progress). Lol it's when I lift them up to do a front bicep style pose that I am embarrassed. Sorry for sideways, neck-breaking photos. Still figuring this out!

And thanks halfwit!

No worries on the side view pics :) may I suggest that after you take the pic to edit it on an app on your phone to rotate the pic horizontally then save. Then you can upload any in the future and they should come out vertical. In theory :)

They're mostly genetics, but definately don't neglect them and they'll come around. Keep working hard bro

Back