Power Shrugs.

It's like the first part of a powerclean. Aggressively shrug the bar up, using your whole body...legs, calves, everything. Use lots of weight.

The first part of a Power Clean is floor to waist. That right? Doesnt sound it, as that would be a Deadlift.

Do you mean the second part? Waist to neck?

I wish I had Johnsmith's (from meso) description of it. Its my favorite trap exercise, usually all I do.

It's really just a shrug using a barbell. "Power" in the description to me just means that we aren't real concerned about strict form here. Momentum is ok, we are using MUCH more weight than we'd ever think about using the dumbells.

Load up a barbell, grip it about shoulder width. The movement starts from holding it waist high. Thrust the bar up in a shrugging motion. Try to imagine holding it for an instant at the top - you really won't be able to with heavy weight, but try to get that feel. Repeat.

I start with 135 to warm up and just add a plate per set until I get to 405 or occasionally 495. Then I do drop sets, stripping a plate off per set. That's not the way I normally do any other exercise, but I like it for power shrugs.

Last edited:
jcp2 said:
http://www.competitivemuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=296

SKedz, this will explain it better, and has a demonstration video.

I just did 4 sets last night bro. I havn't gone relatively heavy on Shrugs for so long though, so I had pussy-weight to deal with. #135, #225, #275, #295, I'm afraid, but it's all good. I liked the feel alot. Plus you can rip out multiple sets in a short period of time without much tax. Thanks alot brother(s).

I looked at the video .
Looked all wrong to me .....just my opinion
When I do em I use my body momentum to pull the bar as high as I can and hold it there for a count of two....then repeat.

SkedMedz said:
I just did 4 sets last night bro. I havn't gone relatively heavy on Shrugs for so long though, so I had pussy-weight to deal with. #135, #225, #275, #295, I'm afraid, but it's all good. I liked the feel alot. Plus you can rip out multiple sets in a short period of time without much tax. Thanks alot brother(s).

It takes a little getting used to, but once you do you should be hitting more weight than you normally do on regular shrugs, i normally go up to 495 for 6-8. The soreness the next day in my traps is like nothing I have ever felt before.

I forgot to mention, I use straps when I get to 315. My grip would end up failing before I fully taxed my traps if I didn't use the straps.

Trevdog said:
I forgot to mention, I use straps when I get to 315. My grip would end up failing before I fully taxed my traps if I didn't use the straps.

Ya, I didn't use them and the grip gave way like you said brother. I thought about doing them 1/2-way through my back/traps routine, or I would've had them(straps) with me. Next time.

It shames me to say that I have to use straps with these as well, simply because I cannot get much out of these with a mixed grip.

Sometimes for variety I use a snatch grip, and then I really need straps.

Back