Quad Tears

jebrown325

I had a partial tear in my quadriceps (vastus lateralus, on the outside portion of the thigh) for both legs in February 2009. I took several months off leg training, as well as physical therapy to recuperate. I have been slowly building my leg strength back up over the past few months. Neither my doctor nor physical therapist can give me a straight answer on how hard I can push it now though. The physical therapist says I should be able to start going heavy again but it may not be safe for me to push it as hard as I used to. My doctor says I should expect to be able to do no more than 90% of the weight I used to use. I was doing full squats with over 600 lbs. before my injury. I would like to get back up to this weight and go even further in the future. Anybody have any experience or suggestions in working past an injury such as this? Thanks!

I tore my quad 7 months ago doing leg press. I tore a hole in the outer sweep of the thigh. went to the orthopeic and he said no surgery since i didnt tear it from the bone, rest and let time heal it. my friend did the same thing and he said he cant go heavy anymore because everytime he does his thigh is like a panty house the tear keep running doen his thgh and geting worse. i am nervous to go heavy again...

A tear in the quad is pretty bad, I would suggest that you give yourself a time that is not to say go light , what I am trying to say is, your not going to get under 600 lbs in the next 10 weeks (maybe never) but it can still be a sensible goal given the right regimen. Remember squatting 600 was what got you into this mess. Approach it with caution.

Back