Question about rate of fat loss

jt339

Yo! I've been working with a guy with my diet and training. Results up until a few weeks ago were pretty great. Went from about 17% bf down to about 11.5% in about 9 weeks while adding a little bit of strength. However, the last few weeks I've gotten no where. My diet is very clean with carbs coming sweet potatoes mainly, Ezekiel bread and an apple on occasion and sometimes a small bowl (50g carbs) of Kashi original. Fats from eggs, natty pb, 95% lean beef and olive oil. Protein from eggs, cottage cheese (very little), chicken, 95% lean beef and occasional casein shakes. I average about 1980 cals a week, 25% carbs, 40% protein and 35% fat. 6' 185.

I asked him what to do since I'm stalling and he simply said drop 100 cals from every day. I'm wanting to do this as quickly as possible as I'm tired of cutting and that just doesn't seem like it is going to do much. I'm trying to get down to 6%. Do I really have to go this slow? I'd like to lose about 2lbs a week as long as its possible without losing muscle. I'm also on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), but running 350mg test at the moment.

Last edited:
Anything below 8% is generally very tough to maintain, and even more difficult to maintain healthily. However, you must make two considerations. You are either experiencing a metabolic slowdown (thus the plateau, which can be easily remedied) or you are eating too much. A combination of the two is much more likely than just one or the other.

If it's a metabolic slowdown from losing too much fat too fast, it can be fixed by either adding refeeds (which are absolutely necessary to sustain your metabolism and fat burning hormones at this level of body fat) or eating at maintenance for a short period (1-2 weeks every time you hit a plateau.)

I suggest refeeds more than I suggest maintenance eating. They're the only method I know of personally that sustain the metabolism. If you're not already doing them, I wouldn't be able to give you perfect advice on refeeding. My refeed days are rather disgusting :)

The next step would be to cut calories. Dropping 100 calories a day is a little extreme. Try 100 calories a week. Your deficit should already be high enough to where you'll see results at that rate.

The only suggestion I can make to your diet is the try and get your carbs from more fibrous sources such as beans or legumes. It is obvious as per your results so far your diet is great. Just thought I'd throw this thought in there. ;)

Take my advice here with a small grain of salt. I'm rather unversed in the effects of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) and test on fat loss :)

Back