Question for CJW

TooRawDew-G

Sorry, tried to message it but for some reason it won't let me. Hey Cj I was wondering if I could get some quick advice from you. I've been reading and reading and reading and have read that my endo should take not only the TSH level but also my free T3 and T4. Also, my E levels haven't been tested at all and I feel as if I have puffy nipples. I don't know if the doctor is expected to do this or if it is up to his discretion. Either way, do you have a list of tests I should request to have done on my next drawing? Just to refresh you, I am hypothyroid and will draw blood on the 20th to see if my thyroid was causing the testosterone problems. Thanks again for the help, I just want to make sure I'm getting all the right tests done

Test SHBG. It should be under 20. Mine was 60 and no matter how many anti estrogens I took I still had chronic fatigue until I dropped my SHBG. Also check AM cortisol - that result should be over 20. Test LH and FSH if you haven't already to see the pituitary health. Also growth hormone should be tested...I believe they use IGF-1 to test that. Estrogen is good to know. Those are the main ones in my mind. Aldosterone is useful if you are dizzy upon standing.

If you are indeed hypothyroid, I would recommend armor thyroid over doing a t3/t4 combo. Armor has those hormones in a nice ratio that way you don't have to screw with dose titration much. I take it just because test lowers circulating thyroid hormones. Most hypothyroid patients can't convert T4 to T3.

Thanks so much man I'm gonna call y doctor tomorrow so that I can get a form to test those things. I really appreciate your help. Btw are you saying armor is or isn't a t3/t4 combo? I thought it was the combo.

Sounds good I've heard some really good things about armor compared to t4. My endo said he wants me on T4 only though I'll ask him to prescribe it if not then I'll have to figure something out.

Hey CJ just an update and maybe some more advice? I called my endos nurse and left a message about wanting those tests done. Her reply was "ok and what if he doesnt say yes". I got pissed off and said if he says no please give me a call so I can find a different doctor. Given this reaction, should I try find someone else? I'm really in no mood for games I'm 18 And have suicidal thoughts and depression on a daily basis. Also, I don't know if I do have high e2 but my bloating is outrageous. In the morning I look somewhat lean, by night I look like 20% body fat. Also an update on the T4. Still on .75 mcg. Only thing I've noticed is more gas but still very constipated. Also it's winter and the cold is KILLING me it's hitting my breaking point

haha i prefer armor thyroid over t3/t4 therapy. t3 therapy I have seen raise the SHBG of guys very high, which is bad. A lot of hypothyroid ppl as I said can't convert t4 to t3. You need to go see an anti aging doc. They are the only ones that understand hormones. What state r u in? Don't worry about the depression thing. That will go away. I Wanted to jump off a bridge everyday before I got dialed in. I was just a couple years older than u when I started TRT.

Yeah I want to try armour I've read too many bad things about T4 and now I've planted in my head that it won't work haha. Power of the mind. And I'm in New Mexico, not very big so it is hard to find endos that have reviews. And I've never heard anyone seeing an anti aging doctor for thyroid I'll look into it. I know the depression will go away but when you're at depressed mode every day feels like a year literally. It's hard when I'm still lifting 4x a week in the morning, going to school right after, and top of that on a calorie deficit and weighing and counting calories everyday so all the little things get to me. But yeah thanks again cj for the help, much appreciated that I can get advice from someone other than a clueless doctor

Well my humble advice would be to lower your training to twice a week and eat a lot of calories unless you are very overweight. Cholesterol is the hormone precursor to all of them so a deficient intake of saturated fat will cause hormone problems. Test SHBG as well. You have multiple endocrine problems potentially. Anti aging doctors prescribe hormones everyday. The last endo I saw told me my testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) test level of 850 was too high and she was concerned I would have a stroke from that high of a T level. Most lab ranges for non testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) people even go to 1250. lol She told me my AM cortisol level was 7 was normal (over 20 is what it should be). And she told me my aldosterone level which was so low it came in under 1 was normal (it goes to 100). So endos go by standards that have no relationship to reality. I would not advise seeing one unless he himself is on hormones and therefore knows his ass from his medical textbook written 40 years ago.

Hmm eat more calories? That's the first time I've heard that. Interesting. I've been cutting for the last 4 months at 2000 calories a day trying to get rid of the bodyfat I still have from being obese as a child. Also, update on the tests: I called the doctor's nurse today and I am PISSED. I told her I want to get those tests done and she said that the tests are not neccesary for my conditions and that the doctor will discuss it with me the next time I go in. I told her they are milking me for my money ($45) each visit, and that all the tests I mentioned are commonly known tests for hypothyroid and hypogonadism. I told her if he doesn't give me the tests, let me know so I can find a new doctor. I think I got stuck with a horrible endo, hs is narrow minded and stubborn

They all are dude just go to privatemdlabs.com and get the male hormone panel which tests it all for around $200. I don't even have my docs run my own tests because they are all afraid of insurance companies looking at them for running tests, and none of them are competent in hormone therapy even as endos. lol Plus they mark up the tests like 500% when I get the bill for the ones they order, even after my insurance pays their portion.

Cool I'll look into it. The good thing about my insurance is that the blood work is free i just have to pay for the appointment. What's the point though if they don't even test everything. Right now my parents are paying for everything since I'm a full time university student so I'm slowly trying to convince my mom to start treatment other than the doctor. Quick question, does Maximus deal with thyroid hormones also or only testosterone replacement? What do you think of going to an anti aging clinic instead of the endo? After today's call, I'm convinced this guy doesn't know sh** and is trying to get as many visits as possible. Right off the back T4 for thyroid and gels for testosterone is all he is willing to prescribe so I see no logical reason to stay with this clown

I'm not mad at the fact that he only prescribed those, but let's say they don't work, then what? Then I waste another few months and appointments finding a new doctor. Not worth it IMO. Also, update on the T4. Still nothing, just more gassy. Still feel like shit, muscles looking soft, metabolism relatively the same. On some days I've actually felt worse than I did before starting T4 so we will see what the tests say.

What state are you in? Maximus might be able to help provided you have all the labs and clear deficiencies show. They do treat thyroid as far as I know. Anti aging docs just know more. You know what to do bro, just trust your instincts.

How long have you been on t-4?? what was your thyroid # what amount of thyroid meds are you on?? FYI- the makers of synthroid state that is takes 4-6 weeks for effect. i usally notice it sooner.

I'm in new Mexico. Southwest. I'll have to contact him tomorrow I normally don't get out of school till 3 pm mountain so I got to find a day to call him

Last edited:
How long have you been on t-4?? what was your thyroid # what amount of thyroid meds are you on?? FYI- the makers of synthroid state that is takes 4-6 weeks for effect. i usally notice it sooner.

I've been on T4 for about 2 months almost. I was on 50 mcg of levothyroxine for the first month and am now on 75mcg of levothroid coming on the 2nd month.

I may have missed it what do you weigh??? if i rember correctly 1.7mcg per kg of body weight
what were you tsh, t-4 t-3 numbers?

They never tested my free t3 and free t4 which bothers me even more. I just followed up with the nurse again, her reason for not letting me do cortisol, shbg, and e2 is because it isn't related to my treatment.........

Here are my results:

Total testosterone: done twice

Morning:Total testosterone 3.1 ng/ml Reference: 2.5-11.5
Free testosterone: 5.67 pg/ml
Reference: 9.00-47.00

Night: total: 2.0 ng/ml
Free: 3.53 (same reference)

Also, two TSH taken, two different days, same time

TSH 1: 11.100 reference: .520-5.080
Tsh 2: 7.47 (same reference)

I also found out I'm borderline anemic, have a low blood count, and that I have the thallesemia beta trait in me.

I weigh 145 right now. I was 220 at my heaviest 2 years ago. I really don't have a lot of muscle mass. Even at 145, I have a bodyfat of about 15-20%. So you can put it into perspective how little muscle my body is holding on to.

Back