Rate and Critique My Workout Plan please

AverageJooe

Hey Guys, about a year and a half ago i was a 280lbs high school line man, but i lost some weight in the off season due to an injury. I signed as a tight end/wide reviver at 6'4'' 215lbs. Being a freshmen i haven't got much time with the strength coach and wont until spring football (due to large amount of transfers in and out) but i want to get HUGE. Ive been working very hard the last 6ish Months and I am up around 235 but I'm still considered undersized (Muscle mass wise) my bf is probably close to around 15-18%. Ive been lifting for a while now, and some of my lifts are outstanding but others lack. Here is my 6 day workout routine, instead of cardio i usually just play pickup games of basketball , or the elliptical.

Day1: Arms and Shoulder
Behind the neck BB Press: 10,8,8,6,6
Lat Raises: 8,8,8,8,8
bent over DB lats 8,8,8,8
Db shrugs 10,10,10,10,10
BB curls 10,10,8,8,6,4
bicep pullups x5 after every set of bb curls
Incline DB curls 10,8,8,6,6
Concentration Curls 10,8,8,8, Failure
Lying triceps extensions: 8,8,8,8
triceps cable press down: 10,10,8,8,6
Kickbacks: 10,8,8,8,6
One arm triceps press downs, 10,10,8,8

Day 2: Chest and Back
Flat Bench:10,8,8,6,6
Incline Bench: 10,8,6,6,6
Db flies: 10,8,6
Dips:10,10,10,10,10
cable flies16,12,10,8
chin ups: 10,8,6
T-Bar: 15,12,8,8,6
Bent over BB rows:12,10,10,8,8
DB Bench:12,8,8,6,6
DB Incline bench: 10,8,8,6,6
Pull Downs: 10,10,10,10,16/8

Day 3 Legs
Squats: 12,10,6,6,4
Front squat: 12,10,6,6,4
Leg extensions using a machine:5 sets of 10
leg curls using a machine: 5 sets of 10
Standing calf raises: 5 sets of 10
Straight Leg Dead lift: 10,10,10,8,8
Misc Box jumps
Power Clean 5x5

I do each workout twice a week. I try to do cardio in the morning of at night not after my workout, i usually throw in some abs. I do change a few things each session on how i feel the workouts going so it’s not always the same. Im eating around 350-400 grams of protein with around 3,800 calories( My school food blows).

So is this routine up to scratch? Any input would be great

alright first i'm gonna say, too much work. well not necessarily too much work but too much useless work. let's first start by losing the structured set rep scheme. the definition of insanity if doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. for example if you're squatting that day, you need to think to yourself, "alright, i'm feeling good, i hit some good numbers last session, i'm gonna do triples at 85%". now you just do your triples, don't worry about how many you have to do. focus on the one you are doing. work your ass off. 100% intensity, i suggest not going to failure. if you get to 7 setsof triples and say i think i could squeeze out a set or two but that's it, then just stop there. lower the weight and do a few more triples to get some volume in if you feel you need it. just lose the overly structured routine. the only thing that should be structured is what lifts you are to perform and what accessory movements to aid in those big important lifts.
I would also recommend not doing each day twice a week. you need rest, especially if you want to get big. also don't do chest and back on the same day. i don't even like calling them chest or back day, they're bench and deadlift days. now if it's a bench day you focus all your efforts on that, and if you want to work an antagonist muscle that aids in the lift, throw in some bent over rows. but that is not a back day, just an accessory lift to your bench day. lose the tricep extensions and shit, you're not a chick. i hope. you wanna get big? lift big. your triceps are gonna get alot bigger doing weighted dips and overhead press than they are doing tricep kickbacks with 20 pounds. no need for incline and flat bench. you want abig flat bench? then do flat bench big. i occassionally use the incline bench for close grip bench press just to hit the tris. also no need for tbar rows and bent over bb rows. pick one and focus on it. if you like both then do one for the three weeks, deload 4th week and next three weeks switch it out for bent over rows. i prefer one armed supported db rows because it takes the stress off the spinal erectors, which are already getting hit hard ith heavy squats and deadlifts. oh yeah that's another thing, where's your fuckin deadlift? get on it! lose the pulldowns, you're already doing pullups and they're better anyways. your splitting your energy between these two exercises, drop the pulldowns and focus it all on banging out some monster pullups. you've gained doing ths apparently so your work capacity must be good because this is alot of work. i'd expect that though if you've been playin ball since middle school. you add up the years of weightlifting, sprints, two a days, scrimmages, etc. and by your age your work capacity should be great. just lose these fufu exercises and focus that capacity for work on the important shit. focus on bench, squat, deadlift, clean and press or clean & jerk, horizontal and vertical rows. the rest of your exercises should just beassistance lifts to help in these big lifts. lets say your squat is weak and it's because your glutes are weak and you're not activating them. do weighted hip thrusts for your glutes as well as sprints. if your lockout is weak on your bench you could use the 2 board press for your assistance exercise. i would try and split these workouts into 4 days a week. on your off days to help with active recovery and train some other sport specific drills, you can pull a sled, push a prowler, do some heavy farmer walks, strap on a 30 pound pack and go for a long walk, 5-6 miles or so. oh and eat more dude.at your height and weight, 3800 calories ain't shit. 350-400g protein is alot, and that means only 2200 calories are coming from carbs and fats. both are important for gaining muscle. i'd cut the protein down to 300 and up your carb and healthy fat intake.

Last edited:
@DonJob thanks for the input! I usually finish my workouts in about an hour and a half. Ill take your advice into consideration!

Back