Setilizing your vials

darkside06

Do Not Contact
What is the simplest way to sterilize your vials??

If I was going to home brew and use open vials, then put a stopper in and cap them?

I've heard that u can put them in the oven?

Rubbing alcohol?

Just trying to get some info.

I rinse with hot soapy water first scrubbing the inside, then use 90 proof alcohol and rinse out vials. I'll let air dry them bake in the oven at 250f for 30min. This is a pretty common way, i've used iso alcohol also.

If I was going to home brew and use open vials, then put a stopper in and cap them?

Rubbing alcohol?

Rubbing alcohol, let the dry, then put them in the oven.

Yep, you need lots of dry heat (or a disinfectant like iso) to kill any fungi/bacteria present on a solid surface. The hot soapy water is to remove any larger solids first.

You could always pressure cook the vials for bout 20-25 min if you're real paranoid.

Just remember after removing them from the oven (or pressure cooker) to keep air movement to a minimum so as to avoid re-contamination before you crimp.

Rubbing alcohol and heat is all u need. i wouldn't put soapy water on them though, thats asking for trouble.

Rubbing alcohol?

NOPE, rubber stopper will melt before it gets hot nuff ot kill everything.
I think its stupid when I see people say "in the oven"

even if you sterilize the bottle , what about the top?

but SEALD STERIL vials and just fill them through a whatman filter 0.22 por-.45pore and needle right into the vials. (remember to have a pin tip in while filling them to release pressure)

thats how I would do it anyway.

Yep, you need lots of dry heat (or a disinfectant like iso) to kill any fungi/bacteria present on a solid surface. The hot soapy water is to remove any larger solids first.

You could always pressure cook the vials for bout 20-25 min if you're real paranoid.

Just remember after removing them from the oven (or pressure cooker) to keep air movement to a minimum so as to avoid re-contamination before you crimp.

This! ----^

NOPE, rubber stopper will melt before it gets hot nuff ot kill everything.
I think its stupid when I see people say "in the oven"

even if you sterilize the bottle , what about the top?

but SEALD STERIL vials and just fill them through a whatman filter 0.22 por-.45pore and needle right into the vials. (remember to have a pin tip in while filling them to release pressure)

thats how I would do it anyway.

Thats not what i ment, i ment put the vials in the oven to sterilize them, not with the rubber stopper.

I've looked at sterile vials already for the sake of convenience. can you still get a cap for the top of them?

Thats not what i ment, i ment put the vials in the oven to sterilize them, not with the rubber stopper.

I've looked at sterile vials already for the sake of convenience. can you still get a cap for the top of them?

The crimped flip top? Yes you can get those for vials. You need the appriopriate size crimper though.

Ya, but your missing the part that it's the first step, then you rinse with alcohol and bake next. If anything, it's more sterile that way.

Soap is not a good idea as it can become an irritant for your gear.

If you're doing shit right, using soapy water shoudn't cause issues at all.

Here's my steps:

~Wash vials in HOT soapy water
~Rinse in HOT water
~Rinse in distilled water
~Rinse twice in alcohol
~Bake vials upside down at 350 for 30 minutes.
~Vials remain upside down in pan until gear is ready to be filtered into them

~Rubber stoppers I soak in Peroxide for 20 minutes while I'm filtering my gear.

Some may call this overkill but I'll tell ya, my vials are spotless and guaranteed sterile and so are my stoppers. I'd also rather take a few extra steps then take the chance of me or someone else getting infection or something

autoclave

I have seen all you guys posting and not one of you spoke of the best way by far to do it ,the only sure way and that is autoclaving go look it up and you would be amaze it is easier no worries nothing .It is the way all the international companies sterilize their equipment .Takes all the worries out of it ,you know what it would be like to wash out 100's of vials and stoppers .

I have seen all you guys posting and not one of you spoke of the best way by far to do it ,the only sure way and that is autoclaving go look it up and you would be amaze it is easier no worries nothing .It is the way all the international companies sterilize their equipment .Takes all the worries out of it ,you know what it would be like to wash out 100's of vials and stoppers .

But I'm betting that my way is cheaper then spending money on autoclave equipment because it looks to me like it requires certain equipment. Don't imagine many in here are washing 100's of vials and stoppers at one time so doesn't seem logical to spend more money on autoclaving

Back