Setilizing your vials

I have seen all you guys posting and not one of you spoke of the best way by far to do it ,the only sure way and that is autoclaving go look it up and you would be amaze it is easier no worries nothing .It is the way all the international companies sterilize their equipment .Takes all the worries out of it ,you know what it would be like to wash out 100's of vials and stoppers .

It wasn't brought up because it's not pratical to the average home brewer.

I worked in an aseptic filling operation for a big pharma company, and this is pretty close to our process for filling vials. The only thing I would consider changing is the method for the stoppers. I would boil them in a pressure cooker at about 250 F (~15psi) for 25 minutes or so. That would take care of any spores that might be there. The peroxide at 1-2% is pretty weak. We used 30% with a 30 min exposure time for surface sanitization.

Just my opinion based on experience.

If you're doing shit right, using soapy water shoudn't cause issues at all.

Here's my steps:

~Wash vials in HOT soapy water
~Rinse in HOT water
~Rinse in distilled water
~Rinse twice in alcohol
~Bake vials upside down at 350 for 30 minutes.
~Vials remain upside down in pan until gear is ready to be filtered into them

~Rubber stoppers I soak in Peroxide for 20 minutes while I'm filtering my gear.

Some may call this overkill but I'll tell ya, my vials are spotless and guaranteed sterile and so are my stoppers. I'd also rather take a few extra steps then take the chance of me or someone else getting infection or something

Back