Some help for a Newbie.

Gnfanatic

Hey guys, I am new here and would like to Thank you for a awesome site. I have weight lifted when I was in H.S and was a nice size for my age. Unfortunatly the gym was put to the side during college years and well, I am back at it. I have searched several times on this forum to answer some questions I need to be answered. I would appreciate it if you guys can help me.
1-) I always heard that your body can only absorb a certain amount of protein at a time (meaning at a meal or a drink). If you go over that amount you will piss it out. If this is true then what amount is that??
2-) You have to change your routine and reps in order to gain, this shocks the muscle. I am almsot positive this is correct, but when do I change? 3 months? 6 ?
3-)If you do a certain muscle group and can barely move them after the workout then you didnt push them enough. Meaning If I did Bi's and they were so pumped I could hardly pick up my car keys then I did a great workout??

thanks alot, I hope I dont get hammered on this :)

Ralph

IMO the protein thing is bullshit.....aim for a minimum of 1-2g per pound( if you weigh 200lb eat at least 200g)

If your routine is working for you, don't change it

muscle pump doesn't equal good work out, I could do shitloads of bicep curls with a really light weight and my niceps will eventually feel like blowing up but it doesn't mean they will grow

Thanks for the feed back guys, so if I have amssive tuna salad thats over 40 grams of protein my body will absorb all of it over the day. Unfortunatly my job wont let me every 2 hours so I am trying to eat in bulk when I can.

thanks
Ralph

Gnfanatic said:
2-) You have to change your routine and reps in order to gain, this shocks the muscle. I am almsot positive this is correct, but when do I change? 3 months? 6 ?
3-)If you do a certain muscle group and can barely move them after the workout then you didnt push them enough. Meaning If I did Bi's and they were so pumped I could hardly pick up my car keys then I did a great workout??

thanks alot, I hope I dont get hammered on this :)

Ralph

where did you hear such bullshit????
there is no such thing as "shocking" a muscle however it is beneficial to rotate a core of exercises once you fail to make increases in the poundages or reps used..

realize that more than likely your bi's will only grow so much(very little) from doing isolation type work

Gnfanatic said:
Thanks for the feed back guys, so if I have amssive tuna salad thats over 40 grams of protein my body will absorb all of it over the day. Unfortunatly my job wont let me every 2 hours so I am trying to eat in bulk when I can.

thanks
Ralph

i hope 40g of protein is not all you getting a day. =0l

a massive tuna salad?

inked1 said:
IMO the protein thing is bullshit.....aim for a minimum of 1-2g per pound( if you weigh 200lb eat at least 200g)

I agree, but in more detail, I think if trying to gain muscle, you should at least hit the 1.5 mark, preferrably 2g per pound of BW. 1g is gonna do shit for a BBer IMO.

And Ralph, the reason we take in so much protein is because you r body will lose some of it so its better to have an abundance of protein in your system to help repair the muscle as you rest. This may not be the most scientific answer, but I think it makes sense.

that about sums it up. protein build musdcle. better to have too much than to be underdosed like mexican gear. =0l

You guys have to remember that your body needs to draw on the aminos when it needs them, not so much when you are eating them, so its best to always have your amino acid pools filled by eating protein every 2.5 hours and starting with 2 grams per lb is a start, you must eat your way up to that next level of muscle with protein...

I am still waiting for the day when I see one single study showing that 30 grams of protein is all our system can assimulate at one time, my ass, this was some bullshit a few guys made up one day over thier soy drink and weighed in at a buck 35...

In-Human said:
I am still waiting for the day when I see one single study showing that 30 grams of protein is all our system can assimulate at one time, my ass, this was some bullshit a few guys made up one day over thier soy drink and weighed in at a buck 35...

Exactly. There are numerous studies out there that use well over 30g in a single sitting on test subjects.

Thanks for all the help guys. I wasnt sure if it was correct or not. My "massive "tuna salad is the 12 oz can with grilled chicked,romaine lettuce,tomatoes and some mayo. At least to me it is massive :) I am pulling up the protein number to 1g per a lb. I would like to try that first and will eventually will move up more. I need to order some whey protein and some bars to help me. Now I am not sure if I explaied one of the questions right (#2). I was always told you cannot stick with a certain routine all the time becuase you will stop growing muscle at a certain point becuase they get used to it?? You must change certain moves and techniques during the year. Hope I saiid it right.

thanks alot
Ralph

StoneColdNTO said:
Actually that is a pretty common believe out there.....still wrong, but common.

actually the more i look around the more i see you are right..lol

someone had asked me for help and i gave them the complete info on DC training well the "head trainer" said it wouldnt work so these young kids that asked for my help are doing the basic 12-20 set routine..it really is sad lol

Back