Someone help me out with my routine please

josh81

Jiu-Jitsu Blue
Hey guys. I've been working at a specific routine I put together for a couple months now, and I've noticed great gains to far. However, I've recently read from many sources that it is not a good idea to work the back and the legs together in the same day at once. I am on a 4 day split for weighttraining, and I'd also like to somehow incorporate deadlifts into my workout. It goes like this:

Day 1: Chest, Calves
Day 2: Legs, Back
Day 3: Biceps, Triceps
Day 4: Shoulders, Traps
Day 5: Boxing & Core Training

I would like your opinions on the split I've be training with, and if you think that the legs and back should be seperated, how would you rearrange the workout so that they are seperated? Thanks guys.

personally I could not do legs and back on the same day those are two big body parts and both take me at least a hour to train eatch one. Here is my split
mon-Chest,bi's, calves
tue-legs
thur-shoulders, tri's
fri-back,calves

Give yourself at least two days rest between legs and back. Try this
Mon: Chest + Biceps
Tue: Legs
Wed: Rest/cardio
Thur: Shoulders+Triceps
Fri: Back + Traps
Sat: rest
Sun: rest
If your legs are still sore you can kick your back day onto saturday for an extra days rest.

you need 3 days between back and legs. heres a three day split

monday
squats, leg presses, hacks or box squats- pick two.

tusday
chest shouders and tris

thursday
deads and heavy back work. bis if you feel the need

cardio and abs on off days.

this routine is a proven size/strength builder.

thanks for the help guys.
by the way pullingbig, there is no way in hell that I'd be able to combine chest triceps and shoulders in just one workout...It would take far too long. But how many sets for each group (chest tris and delts) would you advise I do if I carried on that routine?

joshisripped said:
by the way pullingbig, there is no way in hell that I'd be able to combine chest triceps and shoulders in just one workout...It would take far too long. But how many sets for each group (chest tris and delts) would you advise I do if I carried on that routine?

bench 2 stes of 6 reps
board presses 2 sets of 6
decline medium grip 2 sets of 6
sid elateral raises 2 sets of 6
cable push downs or dips 2 sets of 10

these 2 sets are work sets and dont include warm ups. so if you add it up its only 10 work sets and you are outa there. this is probably less volume than you are doing now. the key is to add weight every week or two. as you get stronger you grow. 5 lbs every other week equals 130 lbs per year. your sets should be to failure. of the six you shpould get 4 or 5 reps unassited with help on the last one or two. esp on the last set of each excecise. I have put on 95 lbs or so in the last few years and my bench went from 205 to 585 as well. it works!! squat went from 250 or so to 800.

joshisripped said:
Yep, for a bodybuilder there wouldnt be enough energy to do all three in the same day. Chest and shoulders should never be on the same day. For the same reason biceps and back shouldnt be.

pipes said:
Give yourself at least two days rest between legs and back. Try this
Mon: Chest + Biceps
Tue: Legs
Wed: Rest/cardio
Thur: Shoulders+Triceps
Fri: Back + Traps
Sat: rest
Sun: rest
If your legs are still sore you can kick your back day onto saturday for an extra days rest.
Looks good, mine is:

One day: chest, calves
Two day: Back, triceps
Three day: Shoulders, biceps
Four day: Legs, abs

I dont do these on specific days, I dont have monday and tuesday etc I just do it rotating all the time. If I'm still sore, I'll give it another day of rest. Works for me.

yomama said:
Yep, for a bodybuilder there wouldnt be enough energy to do all three in the same day. Chest and shoulders should never be on the same day. For the same reason biceps and back shouldnt be.

reread my post. 10 total sets. and garaunteed to grow.

Chest, Shoulders and triceps on the same day is a waste. Your intensity on the specific muscle groups won't be upto par. Thats a split I give to my beginner clients. I keep it down to two exercises for chest, shoulder and one for triceps. Joshisripped is looking for a more advanced routine. Might as well take advantage of a split training routine.

pipes said:
Chest, Shoulders and triceps on the same day is a waste. Your intensity on the specific muscle groups won't be upto par. Thats a split I give to my beginner clients. I keep it down to two exercises for chest, shoulder and one for triceps. Joshisripped is looking for a more advanced routine. Might as well take advantage of a split training routine.

guess thats why i only bench 585. I am wasting my time with my current routine. if you split it up then you are hitting these areas twice a week. for some that works but if you have normal recoup powers then you will overtrain. And as you know overtraining is the biggest culprit to keeping someone from thier full potential. I have not met anyone who has not grown on this routine, including my clients or anybody else who has tried it. If you'll read my previous post you'll see i only recomended 2 sets per excercise, but heavy. 10 total sets.

Last edited:
Back