Somethings I noted during my clinical runs

Animal1852

I intern at a hospital and in particular for 2 oncologist and hematologist. Few know more about the use of drugs such as exemestane, anastrozole, femara, tamoxifen, finasteride, dutasteride etc more than these guys. In fact one of them happens to be one of the top oncologist in the state.

My notes:

In my book I have written "All patients on Femara must do the following test at every visit:

Testosterone Levels
Estrone Levels
Prolactin levels
CA 27.29

I know we emphasize how powerful letro is but this notice in every single room of the clinic drives home the point. No other drug in this class of drugs requires such frequent testing and monitoring, that is how powerful this drug is and how much it can compromise vital hormones in your body. In fact the doctor told me he prescribes it to women in post menopause only.

The other doctor is in the middle of publishing 3 clinical studies he did on arimidex or anastrozole. One of his studies highlights how arimidex showed no significant increase in testosterone. He did this because some physicians have been brainwashed by the reps of the company that it can aid in increasing testosterone levels, when in fact in over 3 dozens subjects over the course of 6 months it did not show and significant increase in testosterone. (I may actually be a co-author for this if all goes to plan :jump: )

Other things i noted were the things he said. Among them this is what he told me today while we were casually discussing life habits of people "If it wasn't for tobacco, alcohol, high fatty and high sodium foods, I would be down by 70% in the number of patients I see a day" He says he rarely touches fatty foods or fast foods. In fact he went on to explain how severely these things sodium and fatty foods can worsen the prognosis of patients with different blood disorders and carcinomas.

I suggested to him for a case of a patient with low hemoglobin and RBC count on the use of steroidal agents. He said a single shot of iron can dramatically boost hemoglobin and induce RBC proliferation and count. Steroidal agents can be used to maintain weight and appetite during chemo. "I have had some patients on and off steroidal agents for over 10 years now". He went on to say how everything has a use and abuse and he has seen no side effects with the use of steroids properly. This means monitoring BP, cholestrol, doing frequent test of hormones etc.

Some of the first questions he ask patients is do you smoke or drink. What is your diet like. That in itself should illustrate to you the importance of those not just to bodybuilding but to your health.

On a side note, i have met with half a dozen pharmaceutical company reps in the last few weeks. I am now learning how much more of a business medicine is than I even thought before. These reps will literally do everything to get a doctor to conduct clinical trials, prescribe their drug and advertise it in their buildings. Everything from inside news on which drugs are in stage 3 of clinical trials their use, if it is a "blockbuster drug" how it works, investment in their stock, inside news on fda approval, early under the title of clinical trial for their patients (patients see this only available here they comeback to the doc), free cars, a free trip to puerto rico for the entire family for a week, a free trip to universal studios and Disney all for business reasons off course :rolleyes: Yes this is illegal but it is done. I ll tell you why this continues today, I gave a shot today in chemo that cost $6000 and just one day's of chemo on one patient was worth over $30000, the doctor makes over 5-10k per patient and he says dozens a week. Good thing is he actually cares about his patients unlike many others, I have seen him give the same chemo to patients who have become broke from treatment over the years, for free.

Why am I writing such a long write up? because we often talk about these things but rarely do we get a inside view on them and the use of some of these drugs we athletes, bodybuilders and powerlifters take.

Couple more important thing I noted, He said (he talks I write haha) estrogen protects against coronary heart disease, prevents osteoporosis, and plays a vital role in certain WBC response. This is important to him being a hematologist.

And one of the growth factors used after chemo generated $5 billion dollars in one year alone, just one drug in one year ..$5 billion. :eek:

Good reading. Nice post. Sooooo since you work with the doc so closely...and that prescription pad is clearly within reach.... Ahhhemmmm....

But all this is related to women with cancer.....not males....correct?

Yes the studies hes done were all on female patients. It is important to note that the most common anti aromatase agents used are the inhibitors femara and arimidex while anastrozole has its purpose in certain cases. Also the metabolic action of these drugs is similar in both males and females with considerably varying sides between males and females.

lol.....my thoughts exactly.

men can develop breast cancer but at an exponentially lower rate than females.

Correct, very small percentage are men. Aromatase inhibitors are not commonly used in males in medical practice. The data to directly support the use of these drugs is no where near as sufficient as in females, and thus doctors do not commonly use them in males. The drug of choice to control the cancer until surgery is tamoxifen then there are other chemo agents, and post surgery tamoxifen is used again to prevent re-occurrence. Interestingly enough, not all males are estrogen receptor positive. A very small percentage (1% or less) are estrogen receptor negative. This would explain how select few users of AAS never report problems of gyno even when using aromatizing steroids.

-Encountered a case today of a female who had breast cancer removed 5 years ago. She has been on tamoxifen since then. I asked the doctor if vision problems can occur from such a long term use. His response was that vision problems are observed in rare cases and is not very common, frequent physical examinations is a simple means of detecting this, because most of the time patients will report this and other problems that also go hand in hand with it.

Good reading. Nice post. Sooooo since you work with the doc so closely...and that prescription pad is clearly within reach.... Ahhhemmmm....

Right stock up on my test .... unfortunately hes helping me way too much I rather just buy my test then risk such a thing.

you should give us some insides on hose drugs. i'd love to trade stocks with someone on the inside :)

Lol, I will let you know of anything big, although many times I wait outside for the doctors as they discuss potential future drugs with the reps. I over heard one complaining about how this company is not offering him much for the clinical trials hes running since others in the past have flown him to the Caribbean :rolleyes2 When your sitting in the waiting room next time for 2 hours, well now you know why haha.

All i gotta say is that the FDA is the biggest most crooked bunch of people killing cash hungry cocksuckers! Chemo causes more cancer then it cures. Maybe one day people as a whole as wise up to these scams. RANT !! There im good haha! Did you see that cheerios was gonna get pulled cause of these guys?? They told cheerios that if they didnt change there packaging they would be pulled. Apparently the package said that "cheerios reduced cholesteral by a certain amount" , FDA claims you cannot say cheerios does anything because its not a drug... therefore an Orange cannot be labeled "the cure for scurvy". The orange isnt a drug.

All i gotta say is that the FDA is the biggest most crooked bunch of people killing cash hungry cocksuckers! Chemo causes more cancer then it cures. Maybe one day people as a whole as wise up to these scams. RANT !! There im good haha! Did you see that cheerios was gonna get pulled cause of these guys?? They told cheerios that if they didnt change there packaging they would be pulled. Apparently the package said that "cheerios reduced cholesteral by a certain amount" , FDA claims you cannot say cheerios does anything because its not a drug... therefore an Orange cannot be labeled "the cure for scurvy". The orange isnt a drug.

Lol, I ll tell you this pharm companies are run by the scum of the earth. These people will bribe politicians, docs, push laws, all things at the expensive of the people's interest and health.

-Had a breast cancer female patient who was on femara for 5 years straight!!

Back