sterile powder

darkrid3r

Anyone ever Sterilized their powders?

One would assume that if you heat it, it would eventually hit the melt point.

I have seen this step in a number of recipes and wonder if its even worth the time.

shoot me a email @ my hotmail bro

fyi- use a .22 millipore filter to sterilize.

Last edited:
There's really no need to sterilize anything until the filtering process. After filtered, just make sure you use sterile vials and let the BA do it's job!

I agree with animailzed. why would you want it sterile. You have to sterilize everything when your done anyway. It seems like an unnecessary step.

There is heating done when you mix your powders, BA, BB and GSO. But that's not done in the stove, at least I don't. I feel you also need to be careful because too much heat could be bad as well.

Oh absolutely it would "burn" so to speak.

So how do you know when enough heat is enough?

Always mix your powder with desired amount of BA and BB only... Then heat on your heating stirplate up until 90-100 degree C, once at 95 or so, start pouring in your (already warmed) GSO or CSO or any carrier your wish at small increments keeping the temp within the 90-100 range. Once you have added your carrier then turn the heat down a hair and begin filtering immediately. A sterile environment will assure you have no bacteria in the mixture and the BA will prevent the growth of it from that point.

I think I have everything....

Going to make 10 bottles tonight and see how the process goes.
Was going to wash bottles, tops and stops with anti bacterial soap, rinse in rubbing alcohol 90%. I dont have any other solvent at this time.

What about the gloves, do you guys wear gloves the whole time?

I think I have everything....

Going to make 10 bottles tonight and see how the process goes.
Was going to wash bottles, tops and stops with anti bacterial soap, rinse in rubbing alcohol 90%. I dont have any other solvent at this time.

What about the gloves, do you guys wear gloves the whole time?

Gloves work, rubbing alcohol is great only it is much more expensive than Methyl alcohol. Run down to the local Lowes and get you some Methyl alcohol (Heat will work) and place your vials upside down on a sterilized piece of foil covered over a cookie sheet, bake the vials and your beakers at 350 for 10-15 min or while you're gathering all your other supplies up and getting ready.
GTG

Back