strength training

1bigmofo

ive tried just about everything i can to build strength in my chest.the rest of my muscles are above average as far as strength. what should i do as far as building strength in my chest muscles.

i work out alone, so i have no one to spot me.people these days just dont seem motivated enough

Get a spotter. I couldnt imagine doing chest without it. You can try working on lockouts, secondary muscles, etc.. but nothing beats a spot for progress.

I have not used a spotter in years.. I know my limits.. try doing some rack work.. set the pins few inches below lockout and use a weight that is heavier than you can bench... there are many other ways.... I think the key though is not to overtrain..try training your chest only once a week... I became the strongest ever by doing chest once a week..

negatives are good too.....you need a spotter though. put on more weigth than normal and work on lowering the weight down concentrically and have the spotter bring it back up and do it again 3-5 reps per set and i usually could only handle 2 sets. its a good change up and helps to get your muscles familiar with heavier weights as well

roccodart440 said:
chest muscles? Dumbell presses and wide grip bench.

thats what worked for me. try using dumbell's on the incline and flat bench and maybe even add the twist as you go up.

we need to know where you are missing your lifts. paused reps for bottom end power that will no doubt increase your bench.just lower the bar to your chest pause for a good second or two then explode off your chest.if it's in the middle of the lift try some board pressing.take a couple 2"x6"x10" pices of wood stacked on your chest touch the boards pause for a second and explode.if it's your top end then do lockouts.work the very top 6" of the press or so by working in the power rack and setting the pins so the bar bottoms out at about 6" pause and press.that covers the total movement from top to bottom.try it out see what happens.

pause presses

its hard to "isolate" the chest muscles unless youre doing flyes
becnhing is a compund move and thus you are using more than one muscle group at a time..you may hae some issues going on where one muscle group compensates for a weaker chest??

dg1483 said:
negatives are good too.....you need a spotter though. put on more weigth than normal and work on lowering the weight down concentrically and have the spotter bring it back up and do it again 3-5 reps per set and i usually could only handle 2 sets. its a good change up and helps to get your muscles familiar with heavier weights as well

ouch

Back