Success learning a martial art or other form of fighting in their 20s?

Hypnotix

I've been on TRT now for nearly 6 months, and I can honestly say it's drastically changed my mood and motivation to pursue new endeavors in life.

As a kid I was always fascinated with boxing, wrestling, martial arts, parkour, gymnastics, crossfit before crossfit existed.. I partook in many forms of excercises and off beat challenges, sports, and different forms of meditation. Loved yoga, stretching, plyometrics, and all other things imaginable. I'm finally coming around to having interest in this well rounded lifestyle I used to have as a teenager again. I'm 25, and still consider myself young, but it's like I've regained lost youth.

I recently read a thread posted by Charles B in the training section and the video included has really motivated me to pursue something new.

The town I currently live in has a facility built to train individuals in MMA (BJJ and MT specifically). EDIT : A few of the trainers are professional UFC fighters. However, the owner was a long time fighter in kickboxing and held a very solid record in his professional days. I'm more interested in learning kickboxing first, and then maybe progressing into other forms of fighting later.

I'm mainly looking for guidance on the matter. I haven't had any formal training in any fighting. The small bits of fighting friends for fun, and a single season of wrestling is all I really have. Has anyone else taken up fighting later like this and had any deal of success? I'm confident in my ability to give it my all, but I'm nervous to approach people I don't know and seek training in something I'm quite literally a noob at.. I expect to have my ass handed to me, and come back day after day to the same beat downs until I've got it, it's just the initiation that's got me on edge.

Any guidance or words of motivation is helpful, thank you!

Last edited:
Bro, go for it. I fought MMA in the Army and freakin loved it. You will get beat up ! It's the best cardio training I've ever had ever in my life. You'll learn what your made of that's for sure. I don't know what kind of work you do if any but your going to to soar as hell. I'm talking bout limping around for days from leg kicks etc. I fought 20 years ago and am still paying for it today and my career was pretty short like a few years. So if your job can handle you limping around with a beat up face I saygo for it. You only live once my friend.

Highest respect for proficient Martial Artists. The discipline inherent is awesome..I m to brittle to even consider that or any other thing involving extreme flexibility. Plus I ve absorbed enuff punishment...I m good.

YOU--need to f k n kill it.

My wife started learning internal martial arts in her 30s and now has her black belt. She shifted over to Shaolin Long Fist at 46 and now has her orange belt. You are never too old if you are in good enough shape.

I'm surely in shape to do so. My only problem is I work on an assembly line. Therefore I can't limp around all day long after a good training session or fight. Luckily I have vacation to cover if I needed so I'm going to go for it still.

That's awesome about your wife Cybr. Kickass!

Thanks for the input everyone.

To get really motivated you have to find your passion, once you have your passion then motivation is easy. Don't have a passion, then find out what turns you on. New circle of friends also helps.

My wife started learning internal martial arts in her 30s and now has her black belt. She shifted over to Shaolin Long Fist at 46 and now has her orange belt. You are never too old if you are in good enough shape.

I dont know if I would want a woman that can whop my butt.

To get really motivated you have to find your passion, once you have your passion then motivation is easy. Don't have a passion, then find out what turns you on. New circle of friends also helps.

Absolutely man, I appreciate the words! Thanks.

Yeah, I'm at work most of the time (the people there are stagnant and somewhat boring), and I live with my girl. She's very interested in fighting as well which makes it even easier for me to get away with spending time doing it. Just needed a little extra motivation to go to the gym and get my ass kicked :D

I love bodybuilding too.. always have, but I'm starting to appreciate having the ability of doing more with my body than being bound up by my muscle. I want to be functional.. not as much crossfit functional, but capable of holding deep stretches, beating ass, jumping, and performing things that most people cannot.

Thanks again Milton.

why are you on trt at such a young age?

Well, it's a common misconception that only older people need TRT, which is why I'm guessing you're asking me this question. But, low T can affect all shapes, sizes, and ages. Sometimes its worth using our noggins to figure things out before our 40's and 50's. If you're having concerns of your own.. I would have some bloods taken. If you're low, I would make necessary life changes to improve such numbers, and if you're still low 6-12 mos down the road, I would then consider looking into replacement. :)

It's actually quite amazing that I've come to this place in search of answers about doing a steroid cycle, but to actually have received a much greater gift of knowledge than I could have ever imagined.

I've made many friends, who I can regularly seek advice and guidance from, and I've been able to make a huge impact on my own quality of life PLUS the quality of a few others close to me. Ever grateful.

I dont know if I would want a woman that can whop my butt.

Right now I am still strong enough to allow brute force to overwhelm her. In another 6 months that will no longer be the case. One thing for sure is it is really helping her self esteem and she is getting in better and better shape every week.

Last edited:
It's actually quite amazing that I've come to this place in search of answers about doing a steroid cycle, but to actually have received a much greater gift of knowledge than I could have ever imagined.

I've made many friends, who I can regularly seek advice and guidance from, and I've been able to make a huge impact on my own quality of life PLUS the quality of a few others close to me. Ever grateful.

Steroidology will always be my home. I came here scared about how badly the PIP was from my first trt shot ever, only to learn about virgin muscle and that the pain was normal (something my doctor did not deem worthy to tell me - probably because he does not know). I am now confident I know more about TRT than my own doctor does. :)

Honestly before I used to weigh like 160, and my girl could give me a pretty hard time when we wrestled and such. I had a hard time doing anything that required a bit of strength..

Now, I float between 190-200, and I can just stand my ground, let her climb around me trying to bring me down. Sex is wayyyy cooler when you can lift your girl up with one hand :D

When I inquired about TRT with my doctor he said my 360 TT was just fine.. and then handed me a pamphlet for androgel. It was the paper that described all the potential side effects of drugs within the same class. The whole way driving home I was just laughing in my head at how much of an ass he was..

It's like, he knew so much about it but when I asked for everything on the hormone panel to be checked by him and he questioned me on each one.. he acted like all of the tests were pointless in regards to replacement therapy and I had no idea what I was doing.

He asks me if I ever went through with anything. I just go in for physicals, cholesterol, thyroid and general health shit now.. need to get a new doctor lol He's annoyed me now! :D

If you want to do it to get in shape, go for it.

If you want to do it to get in the UFC, be prepared to take a beating, maybe some life changing beatings, i.e concussions... The kids doing MMA now are beasts, and start young, unless your some type of phenom, its gonna be a rough road.

I started in kenpo in my teens and kick boxed for 5 years in my 20's. Nothing comes close as far as physical conditioning. After a couple concussions I decided to find something else to do for my ego.

Started BJJ in my late 30s. Has been a wonderful thing physically, mentally, and emotionally. I train with very like minded people who have careers etc. to minimize injury risk. Now that I have almost 4 years of training under my belt, I occasionally train with young wrestling types with little experience in order to prepare for any altercations with a young hot head etc.

I would encourage you to check it out. Also, I do stand up stuff too but don't work a lot of takedowns for injury risk mitigation.

Good luck in whatever you do.

I would say go for it!! I have been doing martial arts since I was in 8 grade and started training MMA in the 90s after watching the UFC changed my life. Don't worry about being too devastated from the training unless you want to go amateur or pro. Just have fun and absorb everything you are being taught like a sponge. All my teachers were cool with me because they saw how stoked I was to be there and how I was asking questions on what to do better and actually applying their advice. BJJ is like a chess game so the strategy is cool but you have to learn all the major moves first and learn them to the point that it becomes second nature, but that can take quite a while. Same when it comes to striking...take your time making sure you are punching and kicking correctly and then you can work on the combos they will be teaching you. Muay Thai is a lot of fun, especially with the elbows and knees. If you are serious about MMA, then you need to be proficient with grappling and striking so I would suggest Muay Thai and BJJ. Take your time and absorb as much information as you can but most of all have fun!! Enjoy it because you're not trying to go pro, you just want to get the basics down and have fun. Finally, enjoy the camaraderie with the others students because your gym will become like a second family...at least if you go to the right gym.

I'm surely in shape to do so. My only problem is I work on an assembly line. Therefore I can't limp around all day long after a good training session or fight. Luckily I have vacation to cover if I needed so I'm going to go for it still.

Why not start with Jiu Jitsu and progress to MT to find out what it's all about? You'll be a lot less sore initially.

Lots of people start BJJ in their 30's, 40's, 50's and up. The sooner you start, the sooner you'll learn what you've been missing. Best of luck!

Back