The 5x5 routine

Un-big said:
Been using 5x5 program for about 2 months, I'm getting pretty good progress all around, but especially deadlifts. Started light at 195lbs 5x5 which was probably too light, just did 295lbs 5x5 yesterday. Definatly getting close to a plateau at this point, but no problem.

I remember when I first went into a gym about a year ago I had trouble handling 115lbs for deads, haha.

Thanks for posting this program Needsize.

nice, I love to hear results like that

I made a spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel to keep track of everything, anyone want a blank copy?

Maybe we could put it up for download here.

looks like a good routine... I:m going to give it a shot..one question u do 5 reps with the same weight right. So how about a worm up set or two? do u worm up and then start the 5/5

how does this split look, 5 days spread out like this

Monday- Off

Tuesday- Legs/Abs
Squats-5x5
Leg press- 2x8-10
Straight leg deadlifts- 2x8-10
Calves- 3x15-20
Weighted crunches- 2x8-10
Leg raises- 2x8-10

Wednesday- Chest/Forearms
Bench- 5x5
Incline bench- 2x8-10
Decline bench- 2x8-10
Wrist curls- 3x8-10
Reverse wrist curls- 3x8-10

Thurs- Off

Friday- Back thickness/rear delts
Deads- 5x3
Back extensions- 2x8-10
Bent rows- 5x5
Cable rows- 2x8-10
Rear raises- 2x8-10

Saturday- Back width/Shoulders
Hang Cleans- 3x3
Pullups- 5x5
Pulldowns- 2x8-10
Military Press- 5x5
Side Raises- 2x8-10

Sunday- Upper Arms/Traps
Close grip bench- 5x5
French press- 2x8-10
Barbell curls- 5x5
Hammer curls- 2x8-10
Shrugs- 2x8-10

i know hang cleans doesnt really fit in there, but i need to put them somewhere, i love what they do for my upper back and traps

yeah I'm also interested in trying this program... Could someone give me an example of their split (no need for actual training routine, I understand the concept) just their split, more than one person hopefully will respond to this. Thanks in advance.

Okay sorry, just read the almost the entirety of the thread, prolly just going to be verbatium (sp?) of needsize's routine at first. until I pick and choose what I like, thanks again needsize for posting this.

Citruscide said:
Wow... I read it... :)

Ok, here are some questions I have for you.

First, I think your routine is good... it stresses the lower rep workouts which hit the Class 2 b and c and some a muscle fibers as opposed to the Class 1 (ie, FT rather than ST). FT are the larger muscle groups... so it makes sense train those...

Now, my concern is... is stimulating BOTH muscles at the same time... for equal effectiveness? In my readings and applications... I've found that doing the higher rep and lower rep workouts seperated by periods of weeks (i.e. 3-4 weeks High rep and then the same for low rep) would more effectively train the various muscle fibers... since the body would need time to adjust to the training measures and begin the training of those muscle fibers.

Again, I'm not implying that your 5x5 program isn't the combination that can successfully train both muscle fibers at the same time, but I wanted to bring to light... that in training BOTH of these muscle fibers in the same workout... it could reduce the relative effectiveness in EACH of their training... Where doing only lower rep power workouts might yeild a 100% benefit for FT fibers, doing a mixture might yeild a 65% 35% or even 50/50 for each of the various muscle fibers...

The overall premise of your workout is sound, and I do not doubt it works for you... hell, I've seen your deadlifts!! :)

But I wanted to bring to light that issue...

Also, I was thinking of the volume training part of the 5x5... generally... volume training ... well, I don't want to get into that just yet... :) After all, I have 6000+ posts on EF and only 3-4 here. :)

C-ditty

i do what you do, i do the higher reps for a few weeks then lower for a few and so on..but what do you think.. if i were to switch now to the 5x5 program after my body may be used to this lower reps for a while and higher for a while?...do you think it will shock my body since they are both in the same workout?

I personally do not like the 5x5 method. I would rather push myself to my very limit with a workout. like increasing weight each week and going for 8 reps. with only 2-3 work sets. failing to reach 8 by the third set but atleast giving it 101% so every last fibre in you is trying.

The best results I've ever gotten were from doing a few months of 5x5. Squats, incline bench press (I can't do flat bench because of a bad 'cuff) and bent rows....no other exersizes.

hmm I only rest 40 seconds between sets. Is that too short? Was always told by track coaches that as a sprinter i needed short rest and explosive reps to train my fast twitch fibers.

just one very simple question??

when using the 5x5 routine.
what timings do you use etc....?
timings between reps, sets etc?
do you only do one muscle group a week and how long do you work on each muscle....
Do you only do three exercise for each muscle under the 5x5 method???

Any more advice on the method and timings etc... would be good..

I am aiming to bulk as much as possible..

I just finished a cycle 3 weeks ago. I lifted on the 5x5 routine and saw great gains. I don't plan on starting another cycle untill June. My question is should I lift on the 5x5 for my time in between cycles, or should I move to something with higher reps. I want to keep as much muscle strength as possible, but cut up untill I start the next bulking cycle.

Few questions from guys who did 5x5 (please add if it was on gear or not) : on 5x5 i should go really lightly? Must complete all sets, if not - weight stays the same, right? But on additional ex. i 'go crazy' and do as many reps as possible ? (in range of 8-10 with correct form?) or keep some sanity?.
Secondly, i'd like to use this routine in a body recomp cycle : is it ok to add cardio PWO? I did it for 2 weeks while on 5x5 and i felt tired (like close to overtrain), maybe on juice it will be different.

Back