The 5x5 routine

My only beef with this routine is a hard hitting chest workout causes my tris to be sore the next day which is shoulder day.....

Makes military press a whole helluva lot harder.

I just gotta a little question needsize, for the 5x5 routine, say that i'm doing bench and i warm up with about 200 for 10 reps, then the next time i warm up with 205, then next week 210, etc. Keeping it at 10 reps each time for the warm up. THis is not adding too much weight that it will make me plateu?

big ferrigno said:
I just gotta a little question needsize, for the 5x5 routine, say that i'm doing bench and i warm up with about 200 for 10 reps, then the next time i warm up with 205, then next week 210, etc. Keeping it at 10 reps each time for the warm up. THis is not adding too much weight that it will make me plateu?

No, a warmup is to warmup your muscles! (get blood flowing to the muscles)

The last thing you want to have happen is pull or even tear a muscle from going to heavy on your warmup sets

needsize in the workout you posted you said you did rows on Shoulder/back day. Is that Upright, seated or bent barbell?
Thanks

The load have to be constant in the 5x5?

Needsize, which the amount of protein that you use in ON and OFF ?

Thanks

this is the split I like
day 1 chest/calves
day 2 back/shoulders
day 3 and 4 rest
day 5 bis/tris
day 6 quads/hams/abs
day 7 rest

koops2121 said:
needsize in the workout you posted you said you did rows on Shoulder/back day. Is that Upright, seated or bent barbell?
Thanks

whatever you feel hits you mid back the best

As for protein, i aim for between 400-500grams per day

needsize said:
As for protein, i aim for between 400-500grams per day

i really cant see how that much protein would do any different than 200-300 grams a day, except that much protein can put a considerable stress your kidneys...

once your bloodstream is saturated with that amount of protein it is all filtered through your kidneys and then most of it is excreted out of your body without you recieving any benefits from it.

Needsize

Would it be a good idea to add 2.5lbs total instead of 5lbs total if you are doing lifts in which you are weaker in?

I was thinking that would be a good idea in my case given how weak my shoulders and chest are, I don't think they can take 5 a week for very long before I hit a plateau.

Chest 155, 5x5. Shoulders 115, 5x5.

Un-big said:
Needsize

Would it be a good idea to add 2.5lbs total instead of 5lbs total if you are doing lifts in which you are weaker in?

I was thinking that would be a good idea in my case given how weak my shoulders and chest are, I don't think they can take 5 a week for very long before I hit a plateau.

Chest 155, 5x5. Shoulders 115, 5x5.

definitely, keep the increments small on the smaller lifts, I sometimes only add 2 1/2lb plates on my deadlift, which is over 500lbs for reps

daan69, trust me, it makes a difference. As you get bigger and bigger, you body needs more protein, and will adapt so that it can absorb more of it. I've tried it every which way, and eating the huge amounts of protein is the only way I can grow

hey need size,,,well i am gonna start my 1st cycle in 3 weeks or so,,,so i was actually thinking of using it now too ,,but i was wondering will it be too much to use the program over 3 months or so ,,i mean will i get used to it ,,,,thanks in advance ,....

indrid_cold17 said:
hey need size,,,well i am gonna start my 1st cycle in 3 weeks or so,,,so i was actually thinking of using it now too ,,but i was wondering will it be too much to use the program over 3 months or so ,,i mean will i get used to it ,,,,thanks in advance ,....

if you time it with a cycle, that works even better as the steroids will help you to keep adding weight to the exercises, which in turn will help you grow
I follow it as long as I am making gains

Do you mean?

Do you mean 5 X 5 as being 5 sets at 5 reps?

Also do you do the other exercises in conjuntion with the 5X5?

example:

Chest
Flat bench 5
incline dumbell press 8-10
incline flyes 8-10

This is a superset?

Sorry if I sound retarded but I'm just curious thanks

:(

Been using 5x5 program for about 2 months, I'm getting pretty good progress all around, but especially deadlifts. Started light at 195lbs 5x5 which was probably too light, just did 295lbs 5x5 yesterday. Definatly getting close to a plateau at this point, but no problem.

I remember when I first went into a gym about a year ago I had trouble handling 115lbs for deads, haha.

Thanks for posting this program Needsize.

Back