The 5x5 routine

let me ask your opioin on this then ,if your simply just trying to cut up should you keep routine at 4 reps of 15 to 20 a set?or should you still switch it up occasionally to shock the muscles alittle?and will that still bring in good definition while cycleing anavar,for women?
thanks you guys, strong arm!

I have been doing a variation of the 5x5 routine posted here for 6 months now. NOTHING, has ever come close to making my body grow and get stronger as this routine... I gained 25 lbs of solid muscle in 6 months... I am a little guys still, 5'11, about 165.... BUT, I used to be frail... I deadlifted 325 for 5 today, and squatted (ass to grass) 295 on friday for 5. Feel like superman walking around....

This routine finds all your weakest links and irons them out so that your body (muscles and nervous system) work as a unit..... You become powerful.... the whole is greater than the sum of its parts kind of thing...

The routine I do is : Bill Starr 5x5 - Madcow Intermediate or Linear Version

You gotta be hardcore though... not a princess....if you aint PUSHING it, this is not the routine for you.... My body goes into shock sometimes when the lifting is over....can't even eat solid food.... have to sip shakes.. until I can get something solid in.... Pushing your limits consistently, and then exceeding them consistently, on big lifts... forces your body to grow....

Get under the F'n bar and MAKE it happen!

needsize, i have a question for you then. this program looks worth while and i think im gonna try it since im tried of the same few routines ive been on for years. what 2 other lifts (2x8-10) do you do for squats, deadlifts, and military press?

I'm not sure why I'm having so much trouble finding a complete write up up Needsize's routine. Is there actually a complete routine written up and I'm just not finding it or am I missing something?

Heres my 5x5 routine.

37 yr old
6'
184-6 lb
I started a 5x5 routine back in January `10. Its called Stronglifts 5x5. Its similar to the Madcow 5x5. Basically its a beginner routine but its not for pussies!! (read on) Its for beginners in that it has you start with just an empty bar and stresses good form. (Assuming you have never worked out before.) But you quickly start reaching your max on all your lifts and thats when it gets tough. Heres how it looks.

Mon.(workout A)
Squats 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Rows 3x15
Push ups 3x15
Abs

Tues. off

Wed. (workout B)
Squats 5x5
Standing shoulder press 5x5
Dead lifts 1x5 (warm up with 4 lighter sets)
Pull ups/chins 3x15
Abs

Thurs off\

Friday repeat Mondays work out A

Sat & sun off then on the following monday you pick up where you left off and do workout B.

I have been doing this natural and its been pretty good. I plan on doing my 1st cycle come this sept and I am concerned if this work out will continue to be good for me. I could add in some secondary excercizes to bump up the intesity of course.
Its oriented around the squat, the all time all body muscle builder. Some people say doing squats 3x wk is crazy but I have been doing ok so far and like I said, I`m not on any gear. I will admit that although I have modestly increased my strength, I havent increased my size too much except my back did get bigger.

So should I stay with this and run my cycle or move on to a 4 day split?
The 4 day split I am considering is by Frank Sepe from his book The Truth.

any thoughts?

i have been looking thorugh this thread i have got some good pointers but in still really confused by the 5x5 work out im looking to bulk but struggling to get a routine sorted the gym i go to has limited gear. If any one could give me a general 5x5 beginners work out that would be ace :)

Over the past 12 years of training I think I have tried it all when it comes to going light and heavy and changing up low reps and high reps. As far as the 5x5 I myself have had the best results doing it for chest. For me other body parts such as bis tris shoulders and forearms need a little higher rep training for best muscle growth. Again this is just my body everyone is different.

Is it possible to do a 5x5 with a split like this:

Monday: Chest/Triceps/Abs
Tuesday: Back/Biceps
Weds: Rest or cardio
Thurs: Legs/Shoulders/Abs
Friday: Light full body work out

??? Just curious, I started it this week and just wondering if it will benefit me.

what do you increase your 8=10 rep sets by and how often do you increase the wieght?

thats a tough call. If your growing on your cycle with the routine you are doing now, then I would stick with it. Now that I think about it, I think you would be better off waiting and starting the program maybe a month post cycle. That way you can start light like the program is intended, and not worry about losing size. After a while you will start to plateau, which would be a great time to start a new cycle which would keep you progressing
hope that made sense...

what do you think about doing traps with 5x5? like barbell shrug 5x5 then 2 sets of 8-10 failure after on dumbell shrug or upright row? or training traps twice a week?

Hi just new to this
site guys an pretty much new the steds an got myself some ep 350 sustanon to try as iv started goin to the gym to gain more strength an muscle can anybody tell if this ep 350 is good an what would be the best way of takin it..
Thxs for takin the time to read...

hey guys ive read the first page and comments just curious as to how this works on back, bi, shoulders.. what i would do?

I just started this routine yesterday and decided (chest day) to chose incline barbell as my compound and honestly didnt know what to start with so went with a guesstimate of 85% of my max so chose 315 and it was quite interesting I did the 5x5 no sweat an even decided to do very slow negatives 3 to 4 secs down and 2 secs up with perfect form. Honestly afterward didnt think it hit me tht hard until I went and tried to do some flat bench it was crazy I could really feel the soreness starting in my chest already. This was after I did 6 sets of incline close grip dumbbell presses for 15 to 10 reps and then some flies as well. Think I found a new training program to kick it up a notch thanks

I really like the idea of switching to a 5x5 program such as this. Can anyone recommend me a good 3, or 4 day split that I could incorporate this program with?

I also can't seem to find the full routine, link is dead.

Last edited:
Back