The 5x5 routine

So NS, what does your routine look like now that you stopped the 5 x 5? You knew somebody was gonna ask that. :devil2:

the routine is based on one designed by the trainer I used, the link to her site should still be in my sig....
I dont deadlift anymore and havent squatted in quite a while, but everything else is pretty heavy. The basis is that the exercises and even the set scheme change every week, so its constantly changing so that your body doesnt adapt to it. I purposely change it around a lot as I dont want to get too strong again, the years of heavy lifting have killed my joints. Its also a fairly heavy volume approach, 14-16 sets for big parts like chest and back, and 9-12 for smaller ones like arms
I also throw in extra work for my parts that suck, ie traps, delts, etc
heres a sample
chest
incline barbell press 5x6-8 reps
flat dumbell press 4x6-8 reps
incline dumbell flyes 2-3x8-10reps
machine flyes 2-3x10-12reps

but then next week I will start with incline dumbell press, followed by flat dumbell press, them hammer strength chest press, then machine flyes...the only common part is the fact that it is never the same from week to week

Is 9 total sets enough to stimulate growth?

Im a big believer in volume training doing lotsa of sets and it has worked well for me over the years. Although I have hit a little plateau, and would like to try the alternative 5x5 method. But as u stated in the workout:

bench press 5 x 5
incline dumbell press 2 x 8 - 10
incline fly 2 x 8 -10

Would only 9sets be enough to constantly stimulate growth every workout?

Might be a stupid question, but do you start and finish the 5x5 routine, and THEN start to superset the 2x8-10?

I just didn't know if one was to superset the entire workout, or wait until the 5x5 was over. Thanks.

I'm about to start this up as my lonnnnnnng cycle is finally coming to an end on Wednesday. I will be starting back mid-February to hopefully train for a end of the summer show, so this will be a great addition to my bulking regimine.

sorry i dont have time to read through the thread but just wondering with the 8 to 10 sets you ment to start them low and work your way up aswel??

Here's a sample routine
Chest
Flat bench 5x5
incline dumbell press 2x8-10
incline flyes 2x8-10

so do i do these one set each right after the other?n as in 5 reps bench, straight to 10 reps press then straight to 10 reps flyes then repeat the whole thing 5 times?

question

ok on the 5x5 i know you increase the weight per week for the 5 sets but what about the 2 set lifts you do after? do you keep that weight constant or do you start low and increase as well

Hi quick question. In your 5x5 routine as you are lifting to begin with with around 65% of 1RM what would your rest times be?

As the intensity isnt great enough to be the standard 2-3mins rest for strength training as your only lifting at 65%

Would you start at 60sec rest and the intensity % goes up then increase your rest periods?

Does to same principle apply for the exercises of 8-10 or would that be a set 60-90sec rest

so im really considering tryin this 5X5. ive been doin mon - chest/arms tues-back/shoulder/legs wed -res than thursday i go back to my monday work out and finish the week off with my tuesday workout......................once i start 5x5.....will working out each muscle group twice a week be too much on it? if so should i do something different and just work out each muscle group once a week

For starters, I am just getting back in the gym after a prolonged time off.

I too am interested in the rest interval between sets. Also, as this is indeed a high volume/per body part routine, is it still solid for those on no gear? Seems to contradict the HIIT principles.

On no gear, I am skeptical the body could adequately recoup from such a workout for max gains.

start!

Starting this routine this fri. I havent followed a patented routine in quite a few years. It shall be a welcomed surprise to my muscles. But as with anything that you have to "follow" , its gonna take some dedication.

Currently 195 lbs 6'0 <10% bf.

1RM bench 275 <--- ya i no i never did alot of bench cause it was all everyone was doing and i dont follow the pack, lol.

1RM Deadlift 405 <-- really like this lift.

1RM Behind the neck press 255

1Rm bent over row 275

1RM Squat 405

im sure with this system ill bring those way way up. Time to eat cottage cheese , thanks NEEDSIZE.

My current 5x5 split:

Day 1 bis/tris
close grip bench 5x5
barbell preacher curls 5x5
v-cable press 2x8-10
incline dumbell curls 2x8-10
overhead dumbell press 2x8-10
dumbell hammer curls 2x8-10

Day 2 legs
squats 5x5
leg press 2x8-10
extensions 2x8-10
leg curls 2x8-10
seated calve raises 5x15

Day3 rest

Day4 back
deads 5x5
chins 2x8-10
rows 2x8-10
shrugs 2x8-10

Day5 chest
Flat bench 5x5
incline bench 2x8-10
cable fly's 2x8-10
standing calve raises 5x15

Day6&7 rest

My current 5x5 split:

Day 1 bis/tris
close grip bench 5x5
barbell preacher curls 5x5
v-cable press 2x8-10
incline dumbell curls 2x8-10
overhead dumbell press 2x8-10
dumbell hammer curls 2x8-10

Day 2 legs
squats 5x5
leg press 2x8-10
extensions 2x8-10
leg curls 2x8-10
seated calve raises 5x15

Day3 rest

Day4 back
deads 5x5
chins 2x8-10
rows 2x8-10
shrugs 2x8-10

Day5 chest
Flat bench 5x5
incline bench 2x8-10
cable fly's 2x8-10
standing calve raises 5x15

Day6&7 rest

Needsize
I saw how in your split you hit shoulders on back day following chest day. Isn't that an overload on shoulder training since they are already being worked when doing chest. I don't train shoulders at all because mine have blown up in size from doing heavy chest and back.

hello,

im turning 20 soon, i have a half cycle(50) of dianabol just to try them for the first time.. Is there really any point of this? please help..

hello,

im turning 20 soon, i have a half cycle(50) of dianabol just to try them for the first time.. Is there really any point of this? please help..

you have no reason to cycle right now.. your too young and dbol will shut down and possibly damage your hpta ,endoctrine system, or in plain english, your testicles and natural test levels....

Anyone heard of pausing for 3 seconds when doing 5X5's? Buddy of mine is swearing by the pause but I'm just not too sure about it.

I did give it a go however...

Back