The 5x5 routine

Micro, I do shoulders first. I warm up and start with shoulder press. Then in between sets of side laterals I do my warm up sets for deads, that way by the time shoulders are done, I can hit the deads and concentrate of just my back. Thats what works for me

Thats what I did the other day, Inbetween my laterals I warmed up with deads. I'm going to try this for a few months and see how it goes, I've just started this routine last week. I like it so far.

how does this look?

I think Im going to give this 5x5 thing a try. If I want a push / pull / legs type of split, does this look like a good plan? Should I cut back on the tricep and bi sets? How many of the 5x5 exercises is it ok to have in one workout? I haven't incuded calves/ forearms/ abs yet because I don't know the best way to incorporate them into this 5x5. Can I do them on the "off" days? Do you think it is a good idea to follow a 5x5 routine for either calves/ forearms/ abs?

Day 1

Chest Tris

Dumbell Bench 5x5
Incline Barbell Bench 2x10
Pec Dec 2x10

Shoulders

Dumbell Press 5x5
side lat raise 2x10
front lat raise 2x10

Tris

Skull Crushers 5x5
pushdowns 2x10
dips 2x10

Day 2 off

Day 3 Lats Bis

Lats

Pullups 5x5
dumbell row 2x10
cable row 1x10

Bis

Barbell Curl 5x5
Preacher 2x10
Concentration Curls 2x10

Day 4 off

Day 5 Legs / erector spinae

Squats 5x5
Legpress 4x10

Deadlift 5x5
Leg Curl 4x10

bump! this routine is huge for me right now. breaking platues (however u spell that shizzle) all over the place.

Powerbuilder, I think attempting to do 5x5 bis after back, or same thing with tris probably isnt going to work very well. Most of the gains from this routine come from progressive resistance, but adding weight to the bi 5x5 every week, after doing back will be pretty hard. I would really suggest giving arms their own day.
How come there arent any deadlifts in there?

Well I've been doing this for 1wk, After Shoulders and Back you definently need those 2days off. The workout is alittle long but that's the only one that takes that much time. I did Shoulders and Back yesturday, I'm sore as shit. This is the soreness that I like, not like the soreness I'm getting from this Tren/Prop I started on Monday. I just ordered some Sterile oil to cut it with should help out alot.

yup, you definitely need the 2 days off after that workout, but its great because there is no over lap into other workouts, your shoulders and back get a full week till you hit them again

Just thought I'd share my experience with 5x5 so far, I'm 7 weeks or so into a bulker and having great success with the program. This is the first time I've consitantly gotten stronger and also gotten lots of "wow you've gotten bigger" comments from people. Up about 30lbs, but that was coming off a cutting phase, so 10lbs of that was probably just the natural weight gain you get after a cutting. Anyway, I'm loving it and would highly reccomend it for bulking.

Just tried the 5x5 today for chest and I felt great. I did it for flat bench and incline. Dumbells and cables I did normally. I don't think I would have been able to go 5x5 on those because of fatigue.

needsize i have a few questions if you dont mind. obv you cant use the 5x5 method when traning abs, so what would u recommend? also what do u do for calves?

also you posted a 4 day split with 3 days of resting and i wondered if you think something is wrong with the 5 day split i do.

monday-chest
tuesday-legs
wed- off day
thurs-sholders/traps
friday-arms
sat-back

thanks alot for posting the 5x5 routine

Doc Banner Wrote--"So you shouldn't be going to failure until maybe the last set of 5 or on your high reps work after?"

Needsize--I didn't catch the answer to this question--Do you go to failure on your last set of 5? Do you go to failure on your last sets of 8-10, or do you always just stick to 5 and 8-10 even on the last sets??

Curious. Just started the routine last week.

Intraining said:
Doc Banner Wrote--"So you shouldn't be going to failure until maybe the last set of 5 or on your high reps work after?"

Needsize--I didn't catch the answer to this question--Do you go to failure on your last set of 5? Do you go to failure on your last sets of 8-10, or do you always just stick to 5 and 8-10 even on the last sets??

Curious. Just started the routine last week.

The last set of 5 should be around failure, but if you're just starting the program then it should still be fairly easy as you want to keep adding weight. The 8-10 rep sets are to failure

cursedcircle said:
also you posted a 4 day split with 3 days of resting and i wondered if you think something is wrong with the 5 day split i do.

monday-chest
tuesday-legs
wed- off day
thurs-sholders/traps
friday-arms
sat-back

thanks alot for posting the 5x5 routine

The only thing I see there is that thurs is getting some tris from pressing shoulder movements, then friday they are getting hit on arm day, same thing with bis. Problem for me, this is why I do back/shoulders together, is that traps get hit when you do shoulders and back, so you are hitting them twice in a 3 day period

cursedcircle said:
needsize i have a few questions if you dont mind. obv you cant use the 5x5 method when traning abs, so what would u recommend? also what do u do for calves?

for abs I do something similar. I use a steep decline bench, and slowly lower myself down about 1/2 way and hold for a slow count of 5, then come back up. Start with 5x5 of that, making sure you hold for a slow 5. When you can do all that, either add more reps or some weight, ie, 5x6 reps, then when you can get that, 5x7 reps, or start adding plates to your chest. Thats is the ONLY ab routine I've done for 4 years now, and you can see from my avatar what its done. It also strengthens the core, so your squats and deads go up

As for calves, I was doing a 5x15 approach, same idea with adding more weight when you can hit all 15 reps on the same weight. But now I'm doing drop sets instead. cant wait to try Nelson Montanas approach too.
He advocates picking a weight you can do 20 reps for. Do the 20 reps, then rest for `10-15 seconds, so as many more as you can, rest for another 10-15 seconds, then continue like that till you hit 75 reps. Everyone that has tried it says they got results but it was brutal

ns, sorry for all the questions i always thing of something when i look over it again. do u feel that 2sets of 8-10 chins is really enough for lats? i know they get hit on some of the other exercises but that just dosnt seem like enough?

thanks a lot

Back