The 5x5 routine

DEVILtrainer666 said:
damn like a wieght that is easy to nail 5 sets of 5 for 1st week like 315 ? i used 365 but got 4 reps for 3 sets anb just felt tired/dragged out and realize i started this program when i was already over trained . anyways if use 315 just 2nd week add a 10 on each side and continue adding like this each week then im thinking since legs are so much stronger than chest ? thanks .

personally I still go with the 5lb jumps, even on my deadlifts which are 500+lbs for reps I still only add 2 1/2lb plates on each side per week. You'll get to a point where even that feels like a lot, and the key isnt to get to a gievn weight, its just to keep adding more every week, the actual total on the bar isnt that important.

Boylein, I've tried the no direct arm work thing and it didnt work for me at all

Needsize, you made me thinking again.
I want to hit a muscle group twice per week, but
I can only go 3 times to the gym.
I was thinking of doing a Workout C, which would include
Biceps and Triceps but also Shoulders, Chest and Legs.
Something like,
1x20 Squats
5x5 Military Presses supersetted with
3-5x8-10 Side Laterals or Bent over Laterals (i'm not sure)
5x5 Close grip bench supersetted with
5x5 Standing barbell curls
2x8-10 Flat Bench Press
1 x75 Standing Calf raises
Abs

What do you think?

I would really like to learn more reagrding this 5X5 workout from NEDDSIXE, but the link to the details can't be seen without being a member of EF. I WAS a member of EF, but decided to leave. Can anyone post the training program here for me to view?

for the 5x5 sets, anywhere from 2-5 minutes, however much you need, for the rest I drop it to 90 seconds

javascript:smilie(';)')Needsize I need your help please!

Have been reading this threat and the one on elite-fitness as well and decided to give the 5x5 a go as I'm really stagnating on my 6 months old classic volume training plan. So here is what I came up with:

Monday:
Bench press 5x5
Incline db press 3x 10-8
Incline db flies 3x 10-8

BB curl 5x5
Db Curl 2x 10-8
Preacher Curl 2x 10-8

Wednesday

Squat 5x5
Leg Extension 3x 10-8
Leg Curl 3x 10-8
Sitting calf raise 3x15

BB front press 5x5
Side lateral raises 3x10-8
Bent over db rowing 2 x 10-8

Friday

Deadlift 5x5
Chin- ups 3x10-8
Cable row 3x 10-8

Close grip bb bench press 5x5
Cable push down 2x10-8
Dips 2x10-8

So that would be it. You might realize that I do 3x10-8 on the assistant exercises for the large muscle groups such as chest, shoulders, legs, shoulders. WIl that be to much and would it be better to leave it to two exercises at 2x10-8 each or can I do 3 exercises 2x10-8 each?

Hope you can help me out!!

Cheers!;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
oh yes I forgot, that I also was thinking about doing 3x8 on the squats instead of 5x5. What do you think about that?

Thanks a lot!

weasel0803, routine looks pretty good but I wouldnt do 3 sets each of the accessory stuff, it is too much and you will overtrain quiickly which will kill any progress. Personally I would stick with the 5's on the squat, and concentrate on adding weight and getting stronger.

The link is busted as someone erased in original post on elite, I'll get the link to the new one

@needsize

Thanx for the reply!!

Have been on this plan for 3 weeks right now and I have to admit that it really does the trick for me:D :D :D :D However I have started to do the 3x8 for the squat and 3x8 for bb curl as well.

Do you think I should switch back to 5x5 for the curls or is it ok to stick to 3x8? (You mentioned that you droped 5x5 for curls as well and switched to a more conventional routine)

How long would you recommend to stick to your 5x5 routine until I should take a break or start something new?

boylein said:
I saw that article of Chad Waterbury in T-mag
(http://www.testosterone.net/nation_articles/244anti.jsp)
that influenced my decision of not doing direct arm work.
I will quote some stuff about what he said:
"The best increases in upper arm hypertrophy are achieved through compound exercises such as dips, chin-ups, bench presses and rows. Therefore, no direct arm work is prescribed in this program.

It's a strange phenomenon. Every trainee who's been around the iron game for more than a year knows that big arms are built from compound exercises, but people are still convinced they need direct arm work!"

And since this is my bulking phase, I think that it may not be necessary for arm isolation movements.

Sorry it took me a month to reply to this, but I must have missed it somehow. I know that multijoint compound movements are the foundation of any good growth routine, and I train as such. I also believe that at least a little direct work is required to reach maximum potential.

Back