The 5x5 routine

NEEDSIZE.....

What advice did you say to do when reaching a plateau? I can't seem to find it on here anywhere, but I remember that it was something like switch to 5x3, then 3x5, and finally back to 5x5, but I don't remember what you said about weights. Should I increase the weight to something that I can only get for 5 sets of 3 and then drop back down to the weight that I originally plateaued(sp?) at for the 5x5 and resume with the systematic increases? Or just drop back down like 15 pounds and work back up to and past the original sticking point? This is really disheartening for me, because I've managed to plateau on all my 5x5 lifts in the last 2 weeks. (Diet and sleep situation are better than normal too, thats what's weird.) Thanks for the help.

Ok gonna give this a try so need some feed back, after picking out exercise,s i know work for me, and also knowing the recovery time i need between workouts
this is wot i have came up with.

The programme is split as follows: -

Mon – Back/Shoulders/Traps
Tue – Rest
Wed – Chest/Triceps
Thu – Rest
Fri – Legs/Biceps
Sat – Rest
Sun - Rest

Monday (Back/Shoulders)

1) Deadlift – 5x5

2) Chins – 2x8

3) BB Row– 2x8

4) BB front press – 5x5

6) Side lateral raises – 2x 8-10

7) BB Shrugs – 2x 6-8

Wednesday (Chest/Triceps)

1) Flat Bench – 5x5

2) Incline Dumbell Press – 2x8

3) Incline Flyes – 2x8

4) Skull Crushers – 5x5

5) Cable push down – 2x8*

6) Machine Dips – 2x8*

*Do #5 or #6 @ alternate workouts

Friday (Legs/Biceps)

1) Squat – 5x5

2) SLDL – 2x8

3) Hack Squat – 2x8

4) Sitting Calf Raise – 5x15

5) BB Curls – 5x5

6) Hammer Curl 2x 8 **

7) Preacher Curl 2x 8**

**Do #6 or #7 @ alternate workouts

Last edited:
Well here is something I found while searching around.. I wonder if this is the same thing...??

LINK

And here is another that Needsize gave to me via a PM..

New 5x5

Thanks Bro!

Last edited:
ns you listed your day 5 routine like ths and i was wondering is that the order you do the exercises in or do u do all bis then all tris. thanks

day 5 bis/tris
close grip bench 5x5
standing barbell curls 5x5
weighted dips 2x8-10
incline dumbell curls 2x8-10
skull crushers 2x8-10
preacher curls 2x8-10

whenever i try to go to elite anymore, it gives me a page not found error, anybody know this?

anyway- because i cant get there, it says page not found, could you post your 5x5 somewhere else?

i ment both of you are helping a lot of people out and spreading the joyfulness of knowledge.. lol.. ok i'll stop

Paladin said:
i ment both of you are helping a lot of people out and spreading the joyfulness of knowledge.. lol.. ok i'll stop

Ah, thank you. I'm just used to people flaming all the time on the conversation lounge. sorry for getting all defensive.

Hey gang, i am new, and i have two question.

1) Out of all the excercises, how do you know which one gets the 5x5?

For example, if one does:

Flat Bench press
Incline bench press
DB flys
Decline bench press ....(this is not my routine, but this is just an example so i can understand)

how do you know which one of those excercises get the 5x5, and which one get the 2x8?

And that question goes to all other muscles..how do you know which one gets which? Can 5x5 be done on two diffrent excercises for the same muscle? or only 1 of the excercises?

2) When can one truly say "Ok, i have hit a plateau"? After how many weeks of doing the same weight of 5x5? After 2 weeks? 3 weeks? 5 weeks?...

This should clear things up and i can start my 5x5.

Thank you very much..and hello again to all the members..i am looking forward to share some pics with you soon and learning!

Fadi

Last edited:
Back