The Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004

108th CONGRESS
2d Session

H. R. 3866

To amend the Controlled Substances Act to provide increased penalties for anabolic steroid offenses near sports facilities, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

March 1, 2004
Mr. SENSENBRENNER (for himself, Mr. CONYERS, Mr. SWEENEY, Mr. OSBORNE, and Mr. BERMAN) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary, and in addition to the Committee on Energy and Commerce, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To amend the Controlled Substances Act to provide increased penalties for anabolic steroid offenses near sports facilities, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004'.

SEC. 2. INCREASED PENALTIES FOR ANABOLIC STEROID OFFENSES NEAR SPORTS FACILITIES.

(a) IN GENERAL- Part D of the Controlled Substances Act is amended by adding at the end the following:

ANABOLIC STEROID OFFENSES NEAR SPORTS FACILITIES

`SEC. 424. (a) Whoever violates section 401(a)(1) or section 416 by manufacturing, distributing, or possessing with intent to distribute, an anabolic steroid near or at a sports facility is subject to twice the maximum term of imprisonment, maximum fine, and maximum term of supervised release otherwise provided by section 401 for that offense.

`(b) As used in this section--

`(1) the term `sports facility' means real property where athletic sports or athletic training takes place, if such property is privately owned for commercial purposes or if such property is publicly owned, but does not include any real property described in section 419;

`(2) the term `near or at' means in or on, or within 1000 feet of; and

`(3) the term `possessing with intent to distribute' means possessing with the intent to distribute near or at a sports facility.'.

(b) TABLE OF CONTENTS AMENDMENT- The table of contents for Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970 is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 423 the following new item:

`424. Increased Penalties for Anabolic Steroid Offenses Near Sports Facilities.'.

SEC. 3. SENTENCING COMMISSION GUIDELINES.

The United States Sentencing Commission shall--

(1) review the Federal sentencing guidelines with respect to offenses involving anabolic steroids;

(2) consider amending the Federal sentencing guidelines to provide for increased penalties with respect to offenses involving anabolic steroids in a manner that reflects the seriousness of such offenses and the need to deter anabolic steroid use; and

(3) take such other action that the Commission considers necessary to carry out this section.

SEC. 4. AMENDMENTS TO THE CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT.

(a) DEFINITIONS- Section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802) is amended--

(1) in paragraph (41)--

(A) by realigning the margin so as to align with paragraph (40); and

(B) by striking subparagraph (A) and inserting the following:

`(A) The term `anabolic steroid' means any drug or hormonal substance, chemically and pharmacologically related to testosterone (other than estrogens, progestins, corticosteroids, and dehydroepiandrosterone), and includes--

`(i) androstanediol--

`(I) 3b,17b-dihydroxy-5a-androstane; and

`(II) 3a,17b-dihydroxy-5a-androstane;

`(ii) androstanedione (5a-androstan-3,17-dione);

`(iii) androstenediol--

`(I) 1-androstenediol (3b,17b-dihydroxy-5a-androst-1-ene);

`(II) 1-androstenediol (3a,17b-dihydroxy-5a-androst-1-ene);

`(III) 4-androstenediol (3b,17b-dihydroxy-androst-4-ene); and

`(IV) 5-androstenediol (3b,17b-dihydroxy-androst-5-ene);

`(iv) androstenedione--

`(I) 1-androstenedione ([5a]-androst-1-en-3,17-dione);

`(II) 4-androstenedione (androst-4-en-3,17-dione); and

`(III) 5-androstenedione (androst-5-en-3,17-dione);

`(v) bolasterone (7a,17a-dimethyl-17b-hydroxyandrost-4-en-3-one);

`(vi) boldenone (17b-hydroxyandrost-1,4,-diene-3-one);

`(vii) calusterone (7b,17a-dimethyl-17b-hydroxyandrost-4-en-3-one);

`(viii) clostebol (4-chloro-17b-hydroxyandrost-4-en-3-one);

`(ix) dehydrochlormethyltestosterone (4-chloro-17b-hydroxy-17a-methyl-androst-1,4-dien-3-one);

`(x) 4-dihydrotestosterone (17b-hydroxy-androstan-3-one);

`(xi) drostanolone (17b-hydroxy-2a-methyl-5a-androstan-3-one);

`(xii) ethylestrenol (17a-ethyl-17b-hydroxyestr-4-ene);

`(xiii) fluoxymesterone (9-fluoro-17a-methyl-11b,17b-dihydroxyandrost-4-en-3-one);

`(xiv) formebolone (2-formyl-17a-methyl-11a,17b-dihydroxyandrost-1,4-dien-3-one);

`(xv) furazabol (17a-methyl-17b-hydroxyandrostano[2,3-c]-furazan);

`(xvi) 18a-homo-17b-hydroxyestr-4-en-3-one (13b-ethyl-17b-hydroxygon-4-en-3-one);

`(xvii) 4-hydroxytestosterone (4,17b-dihydroxy-androst-4-en-3-one);

`(xviii) 4-hydroxy-19-nortestosterone (4,17b-dihydroxy-estr-4-en-3-one);

`(xix) mestanolone (17a-methyl-17b-hydroxy-5a-androstan-3-one);

`(xx) mesterolone (1a-methyl-17b-hydroxy-[5a]-androstan-3-one);

`(xxi) methandienone (17a-methyl-17b-hydroxyandrost-1,4-dien-3-one);

`(xxii) methandriol (17a-methyl-3b,17b-dihydroxyandrost-5-ene);

`(xxiii) methenolone (1-methyl-17b-hydroxy-5a-androst-1-en-3-one);

`(xxiv) methyltestosterone (17a-methyl-17b-hydroxyandrost-4-en-3-one);

`(xxv) mibolerone (7a,17a-dimethyl-17b-hydroxyestr-4-en-3-one);

`(xxvi) nandrolone (17b-hydroxyestr-4-en-3-one);

`(xxvii) norandrostenediol--

`(I) 19-nor-4-androstenediol (3b, 17b-dihydroxyestr-4-ene);

`(II) 19-nor-4-androstenediol (3a, 17b-dihydroxyestr-4-ene);

`(III) 19-nor-5-androstenediol (3b, 17b-dihydroxyestr-5-ene); and

`(IV) 19-nor-5-androstenediol (3a, 17b-dihydroxyestr-5-ene);

`(xxviii) norandrostenedione--

`(I) 19-nor-4-androstenedione (estr-4-en-3,17-dione); and

`(II) 19-nor-5-androstenedione (estr-5-en-3,17-dione;

`(xxix) norbolethone (18a-homo-17b-hydroxypregna-4-en-3-one);

`(xxx) norclostebol (4-chloro-17b-hydroxyestr-4-en-3-one);

`(xxxi) norethandrolone (17a-ethyl-17b-hydroxyestr-4-en-3-one);

`(xxxii) oxandrolone (17a-methyl-17b-hydroxy-2-oxa-[5a]-androstan-3-one);

`(xxxiii) oxymesterone (17a-methyl-4,17b-dihydroxyandrost-4-en-3-one);

`(xxxiv) oxymetholone (17a-methyl-2-hydroxymethylene-17b-hydroxy-[5a]-androstan-3-one);

`(xxxv) stanozolol (17a-methyl-17b-hydroxy-[5a]-androst-2-eno[3,2-c]-pyrazole);

`(xxxvi) stenbolone (17b-hydroxy-2-methyl-[5a]-androst-1-en-3-one);

`(xxxvii) testolactone (13-hydroxy-3-oxo-13,17-secoandrosta-1,4-dien-17-oic acid lactone);

`(xxxviii) 1-testosterone (17b-hydroxy-5a-androst-1-en-3-one);

`(xxxix) testosterone (17b-hydroxyandrost-4-en-3-one);

`(xl) tetrahydrogestrinone (13b,17a-diethyl-17b-hydroxygon-4,9,11-trien-3-one);

`(xli) trenbolone (17b-hydroxyestr-4,9,11-trien-3-one); and

`(xlii) any salt, ester, or ether of a drug or substance described in this paragraph.'; and

(2) in paragraph (44), by inserting `anabolic steroids,' after `marihuana,'.

(b) AUTHORITY AND CRITERIA FOR CLASSIFICATION- Section 201(g) of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 811(g)) is amended--

(1) in paragraph (1), by striking `substance from a schedule if such substance' and inserting `drug which contains a controlled substance from the application of titles II and III of the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act (21 U.S.C. 802 et seq.) if such drug'; and

(2) in paragraph (3), by adding at the end the following:

`(C) Upon the recommendation of the Secretary of Health and Human Services, a compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any anabolic steroid, which is intended for administration to a human being or an animal, and which, because of its concentration, preparation, formulation or delivery system, does not present any significant potential for abuse.'.

Dang, trenbolone is on that list, I wonder if Fina is going to become controlled now? Is it time to stock up on cartridges?

This applies to school if you have any shit . And most people who juice have an amount that could be considered(by ignorance of the law) intent to distribute!!!!!

It's fucking bullshit over & over.

YOu know what. I don't give a fuck about sport for the most part. Yeah I like the Oplympics and strongman shit etc.. but I'm sick and fucking tired of the whole world being ruled by what's happening with sports!!!!

I'm watching my favorite show and BAM!!!! I gets interupted for a goddamn basket ball game of foorball the and hour commentary afterwards. I'm active and think there are too many beer bellied fat fuckers setting on there fat goddamn asses talking & watching sports like it's making or breaking life , when what the fucking pizza & beer drinking lazy fuckers need to be doing is participating in some sports or exercising.

To me, from my personal observation the largest digesting sports intheusiast are fucking slobs !!!!! At least 70% talk a good game of sports. Those who can do. Those who can't sit on their fat asses and talk. Sport bars sicken me!!!!!
Titty bars are fine. These guys are in there drinking up a storm eating buffalo wings and other grease products talking about this who's juicing and how fucked up this or that player is.

I like cage fighting and am bored to tears of boxing. I like kickboxing etc.., but I don't care what's going on in any of these guys lives and don't really care to talk about them a whole lot.
Even though I like to build my body up beyond normal humans and shread it down, I really don't fucking care about what fucking BB's are doing or give a shit unless it pertains to me.

I certainly don't wanna comment for hours on end after some BB show about someones' goddamn physique .

See it's your arm chair sportmen who are the most judgemental fuckers around. The fucking guys that couldn't run a mile if their lives depended on it. They would keel over dead if they had to drop down and do 100 pushups and still talk about their fucking highschool glory days.

They are the ones you hear every goddamn time you go anywhere that have to say, " How much can you bench?" Then come the war stories of how much they used to do or their brother or uncle etc...

I set and listened to shit in a titty bar one night when asked how much I could bench. I said "shit flat bench is weak for me maybe still 415lbs for a couple of reps . I might pull one 450 if I'm real lucky. but I know it will hurt" Shit say no more!!! let the bullshit begin.

This is when I heard about these big numbers and I invited everyone back to my house with a $500 reward if they could do half of their claims. Not one fucker could do 205 for one And the biggest mouth of them all couldn't even get 185 off the damn pegs....
These are your roids hating sport guys.

Whats great is three years from now there will be people swearing andro was as good as anadrol 50. Wow, this country is amazing. You think they would be concerned with things that should have a little more priority than athletes working out. Its prrof that the US has become a dictatorship.... "a dicatorship of money"

anabolic steroids has become a political buzz word....and that sucks.

just because bush has a hard on...
congress has to grab some lube.

dont they have anything better to spend their time on?

Mr. dB said:
Dang, trenbolone is on that list, I wonder if Fina is going to become controlled now? Is it time to stock up on cartridges?
doubt it, it was illegal before if you use it for any other purpose...

Just amazing and sad the energy this govt has put into all this. As if it were the core of all world problems. This nation is in such a vaulnerable state and the fact that the words steroids, ephedra or pro hormones is even mentioned during this time by any member of goverment is just weak. It's just too easy of an issue to tackle so they do. The other things that just cripple this nation are just too tough to deal with it seems.

Ya, where does all this stand right now?

I was interviewed by a local TV station the other day, and I said, on camera, that these substances are now forbidden for sales OTC. I'm wondering if I jumped the gun, and should call the Reporter to amend that quote.

SWALE said:
Ya, where does all this stand right now?

I was interviewed by a local TV station the other day, and I said, on camera, that these substances are now forbidden for sales OTC. I'm wondering if I jumped the gun, and should call the Reporter to amend that quote.

Well they were specific about everything but the time frame. I dont think you jumped the gun because its probably in effect now. For as hard as they've been pushing this issue I wouldnt imagine they left much of a window.

Back