these are the people obama is supporting???

I'm not trying to justify the killing of 2 young kids but Assad is an even greater evil than the rebel/opposition forces. That in no way condones their killing of those two young boys, it's still a vile and disgusting act but that article gives then implication that Assad is a better choice than the rebels which is far from truth as well. All in all, it's a fucked up situation in the Middle East, not that it isn't always, but when will they learn the meaning of peace, compromise, and consideration for another human being regardless of ethnicity?

i understand your point dre but its the support we gave these people in the first place that brought al queda to power... we were tossing around pamphlets on jihad when the russians were attacking

Oh, we were doing more than that 3J, supplying CIA advisors, small arms and anti aircraft weapons and training etc. if you are talking the 79-86 Aghan conflict. I fought with some of those leftover muj in Afghanistan and they were great; hated the Taliban and Al Qaeda and fought like lions beside us.

The big problem is one the US has always had; we pretend we are the world's policemen. I have to agree with Putin on this one; only the UN should be sanctioning interference in a domestic or regional issue, or the Arab League should stand up and solve the issue, anything else is easily portrayed as self serving or altruistic and ill advised aggression. So much violence and evil occurs on a daily basis around the globe, there needs to be a standard on how it is dealt with, and our renegade (regardless of who is in office) way of blundering into it is counter productive.

its horrible.. i didn't have much of an issue with obama up until this crap came up.. honestly im neutral about politics.. up until this point i didnt' like or hate obama... i did despise bush though... he fucked it all up for all of us

Bottom line is we shouldn't be getting involved in a civil war anywhere besides here! Last major fuck up in a civil war...? Anybody remember Vietnam? How bout we have a democracy again and take down the fucking dictator that is our president! I'm down for that civil war any day!

My opinion is looking at it at a very broad way...
We are always trying to be the "good.guy" and get in other people's shit at the dispense of our own military and money...
And I think both sides are fighting for the wrong reasons so why help either side?

All in all its a fucked up situation as was Vietnam, and we all know how well that went...
I think we would be.fighting for the enemy either way.
Just my opinion, as I haven't done extensive research on what's rly going on...I don't trust CNN or FOX...

i understand your point dre but its the support we gave these people in the first place that brought al queda to power... we were tossing around pamphlets on jihad when the russians were attacking

I know brother. We're the ones that gave the Taliban the weapons and support to fight the Russians. Now those same weapons are being used against us. In my opinion though, we give support to Israel who then use bombs, guns, and other weapons to kill hundreds of innocent people too. Same as in Afghanistan, same as here. There will always be outliers/extremists like some of the rebel fighters but is that enough to judge the rebel forces as a whole? When Assad himself has used chemical weapons on his own people? It's jus a tucked up situation and there is no answer to solve all the problems, there are only answers that will have less consequences and ultimately less death. You know Lebanon doesn't get along with Syria and they've been butting heads but even so, i still feel for those innocen men women, and children who lose their lives and livelihood bc a "dictator" like Assad is to corrupt and entrenched in his own power to give it up. I don't really blame Obama personally for aiding the rebel forces bc Assad must go and who else can do it besides their own people? It's not like we as a country would be willing to send more of our troops into harm's way on top of the wars we're already fighting. Hopefully one day we can see each other as humans first and ethnicity second.

Shit like this makes me want to throw up every time and makes me remember the world (and people) can be a cold, not-so-nice place :(

At least those kids don't have to live in that shithole any longer.

Ok CRUCIAL facts:

Al Qaeda are in Syria because of Assad, not Reagan funded CIA (you are talking about the funding directed at anti-Soviet forces in the finnancial years 81-84!
). The Al Qaeda fighters (affiliated, not signed up, al Qaeda is not like the NAZI party with an official membership) are filling the vacuum created by instability in the country. They are a part of a broader action, comprised of local people, regional activists (Lebanese, Yemenis, North Africans et al) with widely divergent aims but inspired by similar catalysts. So, this is not a war in which one side is a government (by Western democratic standards) and the other an 'Islamist coalition' hellbent on sharia inspired holy war.

Next: Vietnam. Well how about Bosnia? American and European might ending brutal subjugation and modern genocide in Europe TWENTY years ago. In fact, in the maxim something must be done, 20 years ago when WE didn't, 7,000 men and boys were massacred in an hour in the small village of Srebrenica. The international community finally acted, (three years late) and that CIVIL war was ended. Human beings, people like us, were helped to live- to raise their kids and have hopes and ambitions- and a life to try and use to fulfil them.

It isn't our war? It is a civil war? Look what happened in Nam? This isn't 68, '72, nor is it the Cold War 80's or anything to do with Afghanistan. It is about a shared human history and a narrative whereby if my children, my wife, my friends were being suppressed, tortured and under threat of murder (by drowning in their own bodily fluids to mention one choice ending brought about by chemical weapons usage) I would want somebody, ANY BODY, to help. Being from those countries lucky enough to be the most powerful, the wealthiest, we i am afraid are those 'some bodies'.

To be clear, Churchill's aphorism that if you are 20 and conservative you have no heart and if you are 40 and liberal you have no brain is one I would in part concur with, but for good men to standby idly when crimes against humanity are being committed on people, humans, JUST LIKE YOU AND I, would be a disgrace and below the dignity of our nations.

IMO.

Yes, there needs to be an international standard, most countries have signed up to it, it is called the UN convention, but military force on a sovereign nation takes agreement from the security council. A veto from Russia or China (obvious bastions of free will and respect for other nation sovereignty....ern, Chechnya, Ossetia, Tibet....) throws all altruistic good will out. In which case global foreign policy is always tied to the lowest common denominator- only act in locations where the big five have no national interests and there is no chance of death to our forces. In which case no one would act.

Notdorianyates, awesome points, a hugely persuasive example of the ramifications of good people doing nothing? Spanish civil war. Ask George Orwell.

m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-23892594

Not CNN . Not Fox.

Nice idea bulldog. The original source article is from a media outlet described variously as polemic, biased and that" during the 2011 Libyan civil war the site was an apologist for Muammar al-Gaddafi, reproducing his propaganda and painting him as a paragon of a modern leader."

Yeah dude, though I understand people's issues sending troops over, missiles in or just being the only cop in the village, we also need to get the right story before we make an objective judgement.

That site (.org) is renowned from dumping on US foreign policy and trying to prevent action through misinformation.

Read this from a US Colonel Tom Davis, director of Africa command on globalresearch.org

africom.mil/Newsroom/ForTheRecord/10015/letter-to-the-editor-global-research-response

My question is what exactly are we supposed to do?
Obama has said no boots on the ground which means we are gonna shoot shit over seas...
Doing that WILL kill more innocent women and children.
Yes we are very accurate with that shit, but those causing all the.trouble.over there know.that...they won't just be stationed all in one spot...they will be.scattered among the population.
Again I have not tried to research this in depth...but.I don't see how we can attack these individuals as a whole without causing more innocent death...

And all good points Yates, I agree and disagree because of the fact this type of shit is happening in other countries against their own people...maybe not "chemical" warfare the gov here claims they are using...but in other countries there are mass killings and attacks...y is this one so important to Obama?

Syrians are killing Syrians ... so the US must now go to Syria to kill Syrians, to stop Syrians from killing Syrians .... make sense

My question is what exactly are we supposed to do?
Obama has said no boots on the ground which means we are gonna shoot shit over seas...
Doing that WILL kill more innocent women and children.
Yes we are very accurate with that shit, but those causing all the.trouble.over there know.that...they won't just be stationed all in one spot...they will be.scattered among the population.
Again I have not tried to research this in depth...but.I don't see how we can attack these individuals as a whole without causing more innocent death...

And all good points Yates, I agree and disagree because of the fact this type of shit is happening in other countries against their own people...maybe not "chemical" warfare the gov here claims they are using...but in other countries there are mass killings and attacks...y is this one so important to Obama?

Yeah, absolutely agree. No such thing as precision and Bashir has already moved key prisoners (opponents of the regime) to prone strategic locations as human shields. Nice man.

Why here, and no where else. It is a good point, problem is though it is tantamount to saying if we can't act everywhere, we shouldn't act anywhere. This is important to the US executive (and increasingly Congress, incl Boehner) and therefore a unique situation (where as Darfur, DNcand Burma- yes STILL Burma - ask the Christians who have been assaulted and tortured by the Buddhists there) because of chemical weapon usage. It was prohibited, legislated against and codified in the 1920s (after the horror of Ww1 - see Own, Sasoon Etc) and was the red line put in place by the international community almost nine decades ago. That is why Syriaman.

Back