thick blood

vere76

Well after a year on 100mg testc he took me off he said if not better in a week i have t have a unit of blood removed , has this happen to anyone?

Yes this can happen while on testosterone replacement therapy. It is important for those on testosterone replacement to donate blood as often as possible, blood donation will reduce blood cell count and decrease the chance of this happening.

There are things that can increase the chances of this happening, such as too much Iron, Zinc and vitamin B supplementation.

Although "thick blood" can increase the chances for stroke or heart attack, it has actually never happened due to testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), so although the risk exists, no cases have been reported.

For example, testosterone can increase the hematocrit, the percentage of red blood cells in the bloodstream. If the hematocrit goes up too high, we worry about the blood becoming too viscous or thick, possibly predisposing someone to stroke or clotting events. Although, frankly, in a review that I wrote in the New England Journal of Medicine* where we reviewed as much of this as we could, we found no cases of stroke or severe clotting related to testosterone therapy. Nevertheless, the risk exists, so we want to be careful about giving testosterone to men who already have a high hematocrit, such as those with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or those who have a red-blood-cell disorder.

A Harvard expert shares his thoughts on testosterone-replacement therapy - Harvard Health Publications

Last edited:
There are things that can increase the chances of this happening, such as too much Iron, Zinc and vitamin B supplementation.

That is very good to know. I make an effort to limit iron intake ... did not know that too much Zinc and Vitamin B can also contribute to the problem.

That is very good to know. I make an effort to limit iron intake ... did not know that too much Zinc and Vitamin B can also contribute to the problem.

Yes is sure can, keep in mind though if you choose just one source of the vitamin or mineral I highly doubt it would, the problem is people take multi's that have a bunch of crappy forms of them in it.

I have had thick blood before and like DET OAK said you need to donate as much often, I now donate every 3 months and my hemoglobin and cholesterol are in good range now while on trt

Back